Video rez problem

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
gary

Video rez problem

#1 Post by gary »

I just added a new 4 port KVM switch because I added a 3rd system (2 previously). I have Win XP and Win 7 Pro which both run at full 1920x1080 (LCD) going thru the switch, but my 3rd system running Puppy Precise 5.7.1 will no longer allow rez beyond 1024X768. All 3 systems are Dell SFF Optiplex types and the monitor is 24 inch 1920x1080 native.

The Puppy system works fine at 1920x1080 rez with my OLD 2 port switch, and still works if I bypass the NEW switch and plug the monitor into the system directly. However, even with a direct connection between the system and monitor, if I unplug the VGA cable and plug into the switch, I immediately get a Xorg dialog asking me to reduce the resolution to 1024X768.

My logical conclusion is the NEW switch is somehow preventing Puppy from seeing the monitor's full capability? I did load man XrandR and read the doc, but not sure if that is even the problem?

Can someone shed some light on how Puppy probes the monitor, and why the switch is preventing full 1920x1080 operation?
[b]Hasten Slowly![/b]

gary

Rez problem update

#2 Post by gary »

Since no one responded I did some experimenting with this. If I connect my monitor directly to the Puppy system, and boot Puppy from power on, it comes up in 1920x1080 native mode as expected. Then while Puppy is still running, if I remove the VGA cable from the system and connect using the switch, Puppy stays in 1920x1080, but slightly shifted left. If I try to correct the shift using xorgwizard I get a dialog saying improper resolution (even tho it's already displaying 1920x1080)???

Therefore, I know Puppy can display 1920x1080 whether directly connected or thru the switch; it just won't allow me to BOOT in the native mode using the switch.

MY CONCLUSION: Puppy is doing something at startup that prevents it from starting properly (i.e., 1920x1080 native) going thru the switch. Since I know it is capable of the that mode, I just need to circumvent the part of startup where Puppy is limiting my range of video modes.

MY QUESTION: Is there a way to bypass probing of the video monitor and just force Puppy to start in 1920x1080 mode? I really don't require any "automatic" probing anyway because that system and monitor are paired on my desktop and will not change.

I've read thru similar problems in this forum, as well as mans and docs explaining the various video utilities, but I just don't have a good grasp of WHO is doing WHAT at startup? I would assume that this probing is happening during the xorg.conf script, but there seems to be utils that invoke other implicit utils, etc..., and that's where I'm lost.

Any thots, ideas, direction, is appreciated
[b]Hasten Slowly![/b]

LazY Puppy

#3 Post by LazY Puppy »

Looks like you are asking for a use by running in RAM (PupMode=5).

I would start the Puppy without the KVM Switch, change the monitor resolution to somewhat different 1280x1024 and then changing the resolution back to 1920x1080. Changes made (better saying modified files) must to be found in /initrd/pup_rw - probably somewhere in /etc ?

Copy those files to a ext partition and make a backup of the Puppy mains SFS.

Make unsquash of the Puppy mains SFS to edit its content and insert those files into the paths of the extracted mains SFS.

Rebuild (mksquash) of the Puppy mains SFS and try to reboot the Puppy with KVM Switch.

You could also setup the Screen Resolution and then create a personal storage file - which should then include the changes made to keep new Screen Resolution.

Note: maybe you'll need two or three times doing this to have collected all necessary files to succeed.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink: