How to use Realtek RTL8192EU USB Wireless?

mtzlplex

#31 Post by mtzlplex »

I have a couple of those adapters I purchased a month ago, that use the Realtek-RTL8192EU driver. I didn`t use the drivers disk, I got my drivers from this link: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... /reserve-7 (on the right side of the page) No problems installing to Ubuntu 14.04, Elementary Ubuntu, and Windows 7, but, as hard as I tried, I couldn`t get the install accomplished on my Slacko 5.7 machine, and was hoping I would find a pet here, rcrsn51, do you think that 630 pet would work for my machine?(Slacko 5.7 full install to one partition, ext4, that`s the only thing on the hd)

rcrsn51

#32 Post by rcrsn51 »

@mtzlplex: WiFi drivers are kernel-specific. A Slacko 630 driver will NOT work in Precise 571.

[Edit] The correct driver is posted farther down.

Please report back. I believe that this thread is the first discussion about rtl8192eu and we need some systematic testing.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 18:51, edited 2 times in total.

mtzlplex

#33 Post by mtzlplex »

rcrsn51, I downloaded the pclos code, installed it, and ran Frisbee. Frisbee scans for available networks, but does not find my wireless. Unless I am missing something, I guess this one is not for me.

rcrsn51

#34 Post by rcrsn51 »

Please do the following:

Run the command: iwconfig. Is your wireless adapter listed?

Run: ifconfig wlan0 up. Is there an error message?

Run: iwlist wlan0 scan. Do you get a list of your wireless neighbourhood?

[Edit] I misread your original post. You need Slacko 570, not Precise 571!

rcrsn51

#35 Post by rcrsn51 »

[Edit] The correct driver is posted farther down.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

mtzlplex

#36 Post by mtzlplex »

rcrsn51, thanks for the 570 driver, but I had no luck, so I ran the commands you gave me in your last reply, and with my adapter plugged in, running the commands, there are no adapters listed, no error msgs, and no list of wireless networks. I mean even if I had a wrong driver for my kernel, wouldn`t those commands give some kind of results(my kernel is 3.4.82 i686)? It`s like the machine isn`t even recognizing the adapter, which I have 2 of the same adapters, both are known good, I have tried both on this machine, and the usb ports of this machine that I am trying are known good, they have worked with any usb device I have plugged into them. I`m starting to wonder if I have a problem with Slacko 5.7

MarcHoppe

#37 Post by MarcHoppe »

Victory ! I tried one of the other Setup wizards (Simple I think or it might have been Frisbee) and it did ask for my Network key. The other setup did not ask for my key.

So I entered that, shut down the firewall again and I'm in. It did find the correct IP address this time. Posting on it now. The red up/down arrows are still there so I guess they are simply activity indicators.

I'll see if these settings stick or if I have to save the profile again but at least I know the proper steps now. Oh and to answer your question of earlier yes I did create a save file.

Thanks again for all your help rcrsn51 ! :D

MarcHoppe

#38 Post by MarcHoppe »

mtzlplex wrote:It`s like the machine isn`t even recognizing the adapter,
I'm way too new to Linux in general and Slacko in particular to even think about giving advice but I just wanted to tell you that during the setup process Slacko asked me to remove then replace the USB adapter. Don't know if that will help you at all but I thought it was worth a mention...... :)

mtzlplex

#39 Post by mtzlplex »

Thanks for the reply MarcHoppe, yea, I removed and replaced the adapter at that prompt. I feel I will have an uphill battle with this one. Thanks again for the reply.

rcrsn51

#40 Post by rcrsn51 »

@MarcHoppe: Excellent. Do you know which of the two PETs you have working - the original or the PCLOS version?

@mtzlplex: Like I said, these drivers are kernel-specific. Are you running the non-PAE version of Slacko 570? A k3.10.32 driver is not going to work in your k3.4.82.

I don't have a setup for for the non-PAE.

MarcHoppe

#41 Post by MarcHoppe »

It was the original PET that worked for me......... :D

rcrsn51

#42 Post by rcrsn51 »

@mtzlplex: I have built the driver for Slacko 5.7 NOpae k3.4.82 and posted it here.

mtzlplex

#43 Post by mtzlplex »

@rcrsn51: Finally after a month and a half of trying everything I could think of, except of course the exact pet package I needed for "my" kernel, my wireless is up and running(the cd that comes with those adapters with what they say are linux drivers is useless if you have Puppy). Using the pet package you made, it took me less than 5 minutes from start of install to completion. rcrsn51, sir, thank you for taking the time out of your life to not only teach me something, but to write the pet package I needed. I appreciate it more than I could ever describe in a sentence.

Regards
mtzlplex

rcrsn51

#44 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. Thank you to both mtzlplex and MarcHoppe for staying with this exercise. I now have a good idea of how to build this driver for other Puppies.

For interested observers, the rtl8192eu source code is from here.

MarcHoppe

#45 Post by MarcHoppe »

Yes I second your gratitude towards rcrsn51 ! :D

Anyway just as an update, this morning after a cold boot and subsequent reboot I've had to manually re-connect my wireless interface. It's not hard to do and only takes a minute but perhaps I've done something wrong and forgot to save something or forgot to set something to "automatic". I'll keep poking around and see if I can find a solution...

rcrsn51

#46 Post by rcrsn51 »

There are many reports of Puppy WiFi connection managers that "forget" their settings.

Look at PeasyWiFi. It never forgets.

MarcHoppe

#47 Post by MarcHoppe »

Ok thanks. That looks a bit complicated so I'll set some time aside to follow the instructions carefully.

I just did a "soft" reboot from the Leave Menu and it did find my connection this time. I'll see what happens after I do another cold boot. :)

MarcHoppe

#48 Post by MarcHoppe »

Ok I've installed Peasy WiFi 3.7 and have attempted to set up a connection. Here's what I get (password xxxx out not that it would matter since no one here is in range):

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ap_scan=1
update_config=1
network={
ssid="NETGEAR65"
scan_ssid=1
psk="XXXXXXX"
proto=WPA2
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP TKIP
group=CCMP TKIP
}

Unfortunately connection has failed each time. Profile would appear to be set up properly but obviously I'm doing something wrong. I am able to get reconnected by using Simple Network Setup so the network is up. I'll keep working at it but Peasy WiFi seems to be pretty straight forward...not too sure what I've missed. :?

cthisbear

#49 Post by cthisbear »

Why not change your wireless channel, and see if it works
more consistently.

Probably best to scan your surroundings and keep away from
clogged up wifi.

Chris.

rcrsn51

#50 Post by rcrsn51 »

Click the I/F button. Are you using the correct interface name - wlan0, wlan1? Click the Config button.

Click the Status button. What does it show?

In the Config, set TIMEOUT=0.