Languages in the world

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Pelo

foreigners will get all our friendliness,

#31 Post by Pelo »

Burn it, i fully agree with you. Google translation are an help, but you need to have language knowledge to improve google translations.
However each foreigner trying to speak french will get all our friendliness, and all the help we can give him. Perhaps we shall have a smile, but don't worry about that..
That is the same for US foreigners on holidays in France... Some don't even say 'bonjour', but 'hello'

Burn_IT

#32 Post by Burn_IT »

I remember well when I was on a school exchange holiday in France.
I caused some hilarity by asking for:
Oeuf de la coq!!
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Pelo

icons are the solution, no translation needed

#33 Post by Pelo »

Oueuf de la coq :D :) :D :D Lol !
Behind this , english trying to speak french will immediatly get 'bon accueil'.
Wiil be very welcome.. My colleagues in french forum are translating weathers reports.
As on aircraft, icons are the solution, no translation needed. (like road panels) That is the way to go, in my opinion.
Attachments
icon.jpg
No translation needed
(11.36 KiB) Downloaded 319 times

Pelo

if keyboard does not exist

#34 Post by Pelo »

catalan, breton.. some demands in the air..
But if keyboard does not exist, is it worth the pain to translate Puppy Linux ? That is question, not an opinion.

Burn_IT

#35 Post by Burn_IT »

It makes sense for reading, but obviously not for writing.
Which is a pity really because I have always found it easier to read/hear a foreign language than to write or speak it.

Pelo

#36 Post by Pelo »

Burn it, you write a fluent English.. For me the forum is the only place where i can write English. But i would not complain about that.

However, if some of you like french, they can post in forum francophone, in french of course, ils seront bienvenus.and helped, at least for french speaking. Try a french Puppy would be a first step :idea:

Burn_IT

#37 Post by Burn_IT »

Burn it, you write a fluent English.
I hope so!! I was born and bred in the very heart of England, even though the name doesn't sound like it.
Ashby-de-la-Zouch

Sailor Enceladus

#38 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Pelo wrote:However, if some of you like french, they can post in forum francophone, in french of course, ils seront bienvenus.and helped, at least for french speaking. Try a french Puppy would be a first step :idea:
Which french Puppy iso do you recommend trying first Pelo?

jlst

#39 Post by jlst »

Hmm French sounds awkward to me... with discussios about puppy i also began to write in english more and more, it was just very esporadic before.. . i usually just reuse words i read even when i'm not fully aware of their meaning, so reading is my primary source of learning. i sometimes listen to podcasts, but this can be damaging to my brain, as it tries too hard to understand even when i'm not paying much attention. after an hour i fall asleep. however watching english dubbed vids is easier, and it usually enhances the experience as i'm bored very easily and it adds another layer to pay attention... when they say "don't tell you forgot who does the punishing here.. you should know that.. Andrew i want you to tell everyone just one more time, the rules of the north cell... In the north cell only you Oscar have the power of punish"

Pelo

Greek keyboard, russian Cycling team, And australian Puppy

#40 Post by Pelo »

Sailor Enceladus , as beginner, the first famous one was Toutou Linux 4.3.1. It was the only one, now are are several.
Why does Puppy help you learning a language (not only French) ? Because icons are like help for babies. Instead of fruits or animals, they are applications, or places used on the computer.
The Linuxian pupil is interested a lot, and huge progress are done the first week.
I run one Puppy in Chinese (Macis). Sure sometimes, even wwwith icons, it's not easy.
The same for hungarian
But really for hungarian, i now know a lot of words. For chinese ? No, really no :!:
Attachments
BILBAO.jpg
Pello ???
(101.55 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 26 May 2017, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Poland and Hungary

#41 Post by Pelo »

Something to be improved.
Poland and Hungary are countries where many Puppy Lovers write in a local Puppy Linux forum.
Polish and Magyar are not part of XVkbd panel. Somebody able to change that,. We can kick out Hebrew and korean, but not french ! :!: your opinion, pleease.

muggins

#42 Post by muggins »

Pelo said:
As on aircraft, icons are the solution, no translation needed.
See Blissymbols

greengeek

#43 Post by greengeek »

muggins wrote:Pelo said:
As on aircraft, icons are the solution, no translation needed.
See Blissymbols
Interesting - looks a bit like hieroglyphics. Good idea. I would like to see a puppy built using such icons - whole menus as well as desktop icons. What a challenge. A multilanguage pup that initially no-one understands but which - in time- everyone understands equally.

Burn_IT

#44 Post by Burn_IT »

Esperanti anyone??

Pelo

Dpup Stretch FR, that is the one to chose

#45 Post by Pelo »

Sailor Enceladus, you are working yet with Musher0 (Puduan 6.0.0). He needs helpers for his french version of Dpup Stretch, that is the one to choose :!: