How I got on the Internet with Alltel usb wireless modem

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
bluatuca

How I got on the Internet with Alltel usb wireless modem

#1 Post by bluatuca »

I am new to pup ( I just got it yesterday) however, the more I use it, the simpler it gets. I have discovered that the Alltel USB modems do work with Puppy linux. I am on Alltel wireless now as I am writing this post. I am so excited and wanted to share how easy it was to get on.
1. The best advice I can give you is use the "PupDialModemDial up" It is in the Network section in Menu.
2.Make sure you have your modem is plugged into the USB port before you boot up. If not then plug it in and reboot.
3. The modem set up will automatically find it. It will set up the top portion of the Modem "set up page" for you.
4. In line status don't check anything, leave them unchecked.
5. The phone number will be fore your carrier. If you are using Alltel put #777.
6. In the next line put your number @ alltel.net (example 1234567880@alltel.net) no dashes.
7. For password put alltel
8. check the box beside stupid mode. leave theauto connect empty.

Remember!! Pup will not tell you you are connected look down in the right hand corner and you should see the two little computers lighting up. if you mouse over it it will say "Internet connection PPPO"

If you have ever set up a USB modem connection in XP or Vista it is almost the same , only you are not using the disk provided by your carrier.
I hope this helps because there are so many trying to use their wireles and they seem to be having problems. I assure you it is easy if you use the Modem setup page in PupDial modemdialup in the network section.

racepres

#2 Post by racepres »

Thank You Bunches... That is grrrrreat! My partner has alltel, and is currently stuck w/ windoze cause he didn't know I guess, and I didn't get a chance to work w/ it much. I will get him up as soon as poss., he is already dual booting to puppy 4.1.2 to use his wireless LAN because he prefers the "Pup". Now he can use the modem when necessary Thanks again... sincerely. RP

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

Microsoft sell a version known as 'telall'......sorry couldn't resist.

slap me

mike

KarenB

#4 Post by KarenB »

I have the Pantech UM175AL USB modem through Alltel. This modem comes with files on it that automatically installs it for a Microsoft or Mac OS.

I had to use the USB Modeswitch to make it work. I put the info from the USB Modeswitch file for my modem into the file that PupDial reads.

I'm on Windows right now and can't name exactly which file that is. It cooresponds to the same one that I downloaded with the
USB modeswitch- 0.97beta.tar.bz2.

This didn't work immediately, though I could hear it trying to. I removed the 2nd init string and continued to "find modem" and connect. PupDial found and put in the correct 2nd init string. Next thing I knew, two monitor icons showed up in lower right hand corner. They didn't light up. I opened the browser to the Internet and upon connecting to an Internet page, they lit up.

It worked! :lol: I had to do my little dance at this point because it has been tough getting a Linux distro to connect to the Internet. I've been working at this for weeks. :o

I do think the fact that the modeswitch will change the modem files should be mentioned in the modeswitch documentation for us newbies! When I am in Windows XP, the modem now shows as an empty CD Drive.

I have Windows on one hard drive and puppy on the other as slave.
I dare say puppy linux is one of the best, particularly for those using USB modems. I didn't want to have to try to get the modem to work on one of the distros made by ubuntu. I just don't like ubuntu.