Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 27 Jul 2016, 09:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
Printing problems in Tahr puppy 6.0.5
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
geosimonis

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar 2016, 10:06    Post subject:  Printing problems in Tahr puppy 6.0.5
Subject description: localhost631

I love Tahr puppy and have used it for quite a while. Only problem is printing. I cannot get to "localhost 631" so I cannot set up my printer. Why is it always so difficult to set up wireless printing in Puppy? On Ubuntu and Linux Lite, the printer is immediately recognized and print set up is effortless...(even my Chromebook was easier to print from) Puppy has never made it easy. My printer is an HP 3510, and I'm on Tahr pup 6.0.5, but the problem recurs when I go back to 6.0.2. There seems to be no way to get a printer working! HELP!! My computer is a Fujitsu Lifebook T1010, if that helps...
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar 2016, 11:00    Post subject: Re: Printing problems in Tahr puppy 6.0.5

geosimonis wrote:
I cannot get to "localhost 631" so I cannot set up my printer.

I just did a fresh install of Tahrpup 605. I went to localhost:631 using the default browser with no problems. I could also get there through the CUPS wizard. I installed a network printer with no problems. I then installed an HP Deskjet USB printer with no problems.

Be aware that the correct URL is "localhost:631" with a colon.

Have you changed browsers? Have you installed any additional packages that may have broken Puppy ownership/permissions? Are you running the firewall?
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 04 Mar 2016, 06:33    Post subject: Re: Printing problems in Tahr puppy 6.0.5

geosimonis wrote:
There seems to be no way to get a printer working! HELP!!.

Waiting for a reply.
geosimonis

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar 2016, 15:09    Post subject: Printing problems in Tahr puppy 6.0.5  

Sorry bout that. No, I STILL cannot get theprinter working. In fact, I cannot get the Cups page to come up as it should when you try to install printer. I am trying to reinstall Tahr, thinking that the original install CD may have been flawed. Have not completed that step yet, but will keep you posted.
duckguy

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar 2016, 15:44    Post subject: Canon MG7520 Not Printing
Subject description: I upgraded to latest service pack, Printer not in recognition list.

EDIT:
I rebooted, and now am able to print, for the time being.
The "CUPS+Gutenprint v 5.2.10-pre2 (en)" seems to be
the correct driver for the Canon MG7520 printer.

This post won't be deleted for future reference,
in hopes that it may help another user in a similar situation. Smile

============================================

Hi, Adding this screen shot, I have a Canon MG7520, which has scanning, printing sharing, and
network capabilities. I don't see any sd card slots on this printer. In any case, Tahrpup doesn't
seem to want to cooperate with it.

I am wondering if I'm doing something wrong. The print que seems to think that I'm printing successfully.

I have installed service_pack-6.0.3_TO_6.0.5_tahr.pet, and my OS seems to be updated.

Thanks in advance, Duckguy Confused
2016-03-25-CanonPrinterFailure.png
Description  Screenshot showing driver options. Even though "MG7500" series isn't included, you will note all the actual drivers are the same - "CUPS+Gutenprint v 5.2.10-pre2 (en)."
png

Download 
Filename  2016-03-25-CanonPrinterFailure.png 
Filesize  246.39 KB 
Downloaded  68 Time(s) 
2016-03-25-Canon-MG7520-PrintFailure.png
Description  I added the printer as an "8200" series, since it seemed to share the same driver as several other similar groups.
png

Download 
Filename  2016-03-25-Canon-MG7520-PrintFailure.png 
Filesize  202.73 KB 
Downloaded  71 Time(s) 
ndujoe1

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar 2016, 17:27    Post subject:  

it is not a perfect solution but it works for me.

I set up my wireless printer as GooglePrint device.

I print all my doucments to pdf form and have created a Googleprint directory to which have a tab in the Google Chrome and print wirelessly from there Easliy. Bypassing Cups and any printer setup.
geosimonis

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar 2016, 04:06    Post subject: Printing problems in Tahr puppy 6.0.5
Subject description: HP 3510 series printer

Ok, I can now pull up the CUPS page, but still no printing. When I try to add the printer as a wireless, it is not found. After it is found as a USB printer, I go to the list of printers, choose HP, and there is no listing for DeskJet 3510 or 3511. The 2500 series does not work, the 3800 series does not work. Here's the thing: When I test Linux Lite, 2.8, the printer is IMMEDIATELY up and ready to go, NO PROBLEMS!!! I love Puppy, and have been using and recommending it for YEARS. But the printing problems just drive me up a wall!! I don't need some snipey replies, I just need solutions. I'm not a techie, but I CAN follow most tech instructions. I want to stay with Puppy, but the printing problems are pushing me away. Linux Lite and Zorin and even UBUNTU seem more print friendly. If you can't print from an OS, why would you stay?
geosimonis

PostPosted: Tue 03 May 2016, 14:23    Post subject: printing
Subject description: hp3510 problem in setup tahr pup

No print? Adios puppy!!
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 03 May 2016, 15:34    Post subject:  

The post at the top of this section is titled How to Install your Printer/Scanner in Puppy. It explains how most printers will require you to install a driver package, because the built-in Gutenprint driver may not match your model. In your case, you want hplip_print. If you read through the article, you will find a download link for this driver.
geosimonis

PostPosted: Wed 04 May 2016, 09:33    Post subject: Printing problems in Tahr puppy 6.0.5
Subject description: hp lip

I have installed hp lip file, but that didn't help either. The fact is that Puppy has one big flaw, recognizing printers. I got an HP printer because they were easily recognized by Puppy...NOT...I guess it's time to move on. No help here...
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
Jump to: