Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 23 Jun 2017, 08:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
IRON 32 bit browser is BACK!
Page 2 of 4 [46 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 15 May 2016, 03:59    Post subject: load Iron the Browser . Done for test,
Subject description: Versión 48.0.2550.0

Pupjibaro Jessie 64bits offers to load Iron the Browser . Done for test, i remember that Iron was not my cup of tea, in lonely days.
Versión 48.0.2550.0. A browser must be easy to use, and browse far on social sites, a valiant ship, not a sail-board.. Feed-back soon..
Ah !
HOW TO ENABLE PPAPI-FLASH

Windows:
1. Download PPAPI Flash: https://admdownload.adobe.com/bin/live/ ... nstall.exe
2. Close Iron, then run the setup. Everything works out of the box!

--------------------Linux:
Ubuntu-Systems:
1) sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu $(lsb_release -sc) partner"
2) sudo apt-get update
3) sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
4) Launch Iron with parameter: ./iron --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=21.0.0.213

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sun 29 May 2016, 07:06    Post subject:  

Version updated to 50.0.2650.0 (32bit)
Packaged as .pet and .sfs and a fairly good option for people who want a recent Chromium derivative for Puppies later than Lucid but earlier than the current official ones (glibc-2.13 or later). Tested in Precise, Slacko 5.7 (needs libgconf2), and Wheezy. The main binary in the unpacked tarball is not stripped so I did that, this reduces the size considerably. Latest available 32bit Pepper Flash is also added.
Uploaded for illustration and experimentation purposes only.
https://yadi.sk/d/_S5b4g7tpcyZn

slavvo67

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun 2016, 10:24    Post subject:  

Hi Oscar,

How do you strip these down? I compiled Iron in Xerus64 and at times I get the icon on the bottom of the screen but it doesn't boot up. I think it's at least partly due to the size.

Thanks for any insight.

Slavvo67
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun 2016, 11:38    Post subject:  

Hi Slavvo,

Strip is in the devx so you have to have that loaded. Only certain files can be stripped. In Iron the main executable is a big one. Not sure why they haven't stripped it during the course of the build. Anyway I just enter the main directory and run
Code:
strip --strip-unneeded filename
on any that are not stripped. Right click and properties will tell you if it is stripped already or not. When you say you compiled it do you mean you installed it from the .deb or the tarball or something? If it doesn't start you may need to try disabling the setuid sandbox and/or the namespace sandbox but I am not familiar with Xerus64 unfortunately.

slavvo67

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun 2016, 13:25    Post subject:  

Hi Oscar,

By compile, I mean that I downloaded the source files, extracted and did a make / make install. Is that the right term? Embarassed

So would I strip the file in the tar.gz prior to doing the make / make install moves or do I go in after?
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun 2016, 15:49    Post subject:  

The tarballs (or .debs) that I have been downloading are not source code, they are pre-compiled archives so I just put them where I want them, no make or make install. In the unpacked archive there should be the main directory with any files that may be not-stripped.

Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun 2016, 12:19    Post subject: thanks again, Oscar  

working well in precise, unicorn, and xenial (derivatives).

thanks/mirrored

Very Happy
Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2016, 10:03    Post subject: Version 23.0.1300.0 (165188)  

Surprise Puppy-es night 5.5 has Iron as default browser. What an idea ! Browser is a tool that will drive me to my prefered web sites, including Facebook and You Tube. If Iron does it, why not ?
Version 23.0.1300.0 (165188). Ouah colleagues have newer...
Facebook is OK. Iron has been bookmarked with Puppy-es developers forums. Bravo Nilson, Bravo josep2424, that is the way to enter in contact with the pupjibaros
onglets.jpg
 Description   Puppy-es 55, Iron Browser selected as default.. hum...
 Filesize   23.92 KB
 Viewed   568 Time(s)

onglets.jpg

Last edited by Pelo on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 11:43; edited 1 time in total
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug 2016, 13:01    Post subject:  

Version updated to 52.0.2750.0
Released August 21st 2016

This version now autodetects Pepper Flash but the path is hard-coded so the plugin lib must be placed in /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin for this to work. The wrapper script then does not need to specify the path.

EDIT:- November 2016, Pepper Flash updated to 23.0.0.207
Note that chrome://plugins reports an older version (incorrectly)
Use http://adobe.com/software/flash/about to see the true installed version.

Plays Twitter and Periscope videos and others (which some browsers do not).

Experimental 32bit packages tested briefly in Precise, Slacko 5.7 (needs libgconf2 as always) and also Wheezy.

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov 2016, 13:47    Post subject:  

Version 54.0.2850.0
Seems OK with sandboxing disabled in those slightly older Puppies.
Pepper Flash 23.0.0.207 added.
Not sure about Netflix. The widevine libs are in there but?
NOTE:- the location /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin already exists in the Puppy system as a symlink to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins so I have to put the Pepper Flash libpepflashplayer.so at /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins in the package. That way both .pet and .sfs install and work as expected.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov 2016, 19:47    Post subject:  

Hi, Oscar.

Many thanks for this. 54.0.2850.0 is running beautifully in Tahr 6.05, Slacko 5.7.0, X-Slacko 2.3.2 and Precise 5.7.1.

I'm running a single instance of this, mounted on a remote partition, and making liberal use of Pup's powerful sym-link function into all four Pups using davids45's method. For anybody who's interested, the thread is here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=99388

Despite the somewhat disparaging posts further into the thread, I find it works a treat.....and is allowing me to use a really modern Chromium clone on the 32-bit Pups. And it does seem a bit daft setting up multiple copies of the same app/browser/whatever across multiple Pups. I still like SlimJet (don't get me wrong).....but I've kinda got used to Chrome/Chromium's new, angular tabs.

Appreciated. Cheers!

BTW: I've given NetFlix a tryout, but....no soap, I'm afraid. It errors out with a network connection fault.....which is not one I've seen before.

Mike. Wink

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov 2016, 22:38    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

The strange thing about Netflix support was that the announcement on the Iron forum said that you need to copy the libwidevinecdm.so from Chrome, but the file was included in the Iron package so I was not sure if they had stuck it in there themselves. You could try substituting the one from the latest Chrome and see if that makes any difference if you get chance.

Each of these Chromium derivatives seems to have certain merits even though of course they all have lots of similarities. Iron is a good option for people who want one that looks similar to Chromium or Chrome but want a very recent version for 32bit Puppies with glibc 2.13 or later.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov 2016, 07:47    Post subject:  

OscarTalks wrote:
Hi Mike,

You could try substituting the one from the latest Chrome and see if that makes any difference if you get chance.

Iron is a good option for people who want one that looks similar to Chromium or Chrome but want a very recent version for 32bit Puppies with glibc 2.13 or later.

Mm. Y'see, the major snag with that is that Chrome no longer comes in 32-bit, does it? And I can't see that the 64-bit ELFs from a current Chrome will work, y'know?

The only thing I can think of to try is substituting the libwidevineadapter.so module from one of peebee's recent Chromium builds. He's been getting them from AlienBob, of course.....but Bob's got job and personal concerns that mean he's not got the time to keep stuff up to date at the moment. And peebee's current builds are now coming from the Open Mandriva Project.....and from what I understand, they're only compatible with the very newest Pups now. Confused

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov 2016, 08:24    Post subject:  

Hi again, Oscar.

We have..... (wait for it, wait for it)..... SUCCESS. Very Happy

I did some digging around in AlienBob's repo. The very last 32-bit WideVine module he produced was the one for the final 32-bit release of Chrome (48.0.2564.116).....which is the one I run myself.

However, rather than poach it from my Chrome build, I've used his.....and it does indeed work for Iron.

So, for anyone who would like to be able to watch NetFlix in a very modern Chromium clone on 32-bit Pups, here's how:-

1) Download the chromium-libwidevinecdm.so module from here:-

http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/chromium-widevine-plugin/pkg/14.1/

Third entry up from the bottom.

2) Extract the libwidevine.cdm.so module to a known location.

3) Open /usr/lib/iron, and move the existing libwidevinecdm.so module to a safe location (just in case), then copy the new version you've just extracted over in its place.

4) Go into your NetFlix a/c, and.....enjoy!

This should work for most of the more recent Pups. As stated earlier in this thread, I run a single instance of this from a remote data partition, sym-linked into multiple 32-bit Pups, and it works fine.

Incidentally, the libwidevinecdm.so as supplied with Iron is around 140 kb in size. The WideVine module from AlienBob is nearly 7 MB in size; quite a difference, no?

It turns this into a totally usable, everyday Chrome/Chromium replacement. I didn't think I'd hear myself saying this, but it may well take over (for me) as my go-to- Chrome replacement. Iron has improved by leaps & bounds recently; I remember the extremely old version of it I tried in SliTaz some while ago (11? 12? ...something like that), and that was impossible to sync with your Google account.....and it didn't support my few 'must-have' extensions. This is now very, very good.

My only grumble is the way it insists on having Pepper in the 'adobe-flash' directory; makes it impossible to sym-link it to my 'common' PepperFlash directory on the remote data partition. And you can't change the 'switches' or parameters for this since, as Oscar points out, it's 'hard-coded' into the binary itself... Grrr!!

(I have my entire system set-up so that one single update of Pepper updates it for every Chrome/Chromium-based browser that I run.....though that's not as many now as it used to be, with sym-linking 'common' browser installs throughout the Pups.)

Anyway, hope that's of some use..!

Mike. Wink

slavvo67

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov 2016, 20:55    Post subject:  

On the 64 bit side, I'm having difficulty getting versions of Iron past 52.0.2750.0 (64-bit) working in Quirky Xerus (or RU Xerus). Probably another sandbox issue but I'm not sure... yet...
Page 2 of 4 [46 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: