IRON 32 bit browser is BACK!

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Pelo

load Iron the Browser . Done for test,

#16 Post by Pelo »

Pupjibaro Jessie 64bits offers to load Iron the Browser . Done for test, i remember that Iron was not my cup of tea, in lonely days.
Versión 48.0.2550.0. A browser must be easy to use, and browse far on social sites, a valiant ship, not a sail-board.. Feed-back soon..
Ah !
HOW TO ENABLE PPAPI-FLASH

Windows:
1. Download PPAPI Flash: https://admdownload.adobe.com/bin/live/ ... nstall.exe
2. Close Iron, then run the setup. Everything works out of the box!

--------------------Linux:
Ubuntu-Systems:
1) sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu $(lsb_release -sc) partner"
2) sudo apt-get update
3) sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
4) Launch Iron with parameter: ./iron --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=21.0.0.213

OscarTalks

#17 Post by OscarTalks »

Version updated to 50.0.2650.0 (32bit)
Packaged as .pet and .sfs and a fairly good option for people who want a recent Chromium derivative for Puppies later than Lucid but earlier than the current official ones (glibc-2.13 or later). Tested in Precise, Slacko 5.7 (needs libgconf2), and Wheezy. The main binary in the unpacked tarball is not stripped so I did that, this reduces the size considerably. Latest available 32bit Pepper Flash is also added.
Uploaded for illustration and experimentation purposes only.
https://yadi.sk/d/_S5b4g7tpcyZn
Oscar in England

slavvo67

#18 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi Oscar,

How do you strip these down? I compiled Iron in Xerus64 and at times I get the icon on the bottom of the screen but it doesn't boot up. I think it's at least partly due to the size.

Thanks for any insight.

Slavvo67

OscarTalks

#19 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi Slavvo,

Strip is in the devx so you have to have that loaded. Only certain files can be stripped. In Iron the main executable is a big one. Not sure why they haven't stripped it during the course of the build. Anyway I just enter the main directory and run

Code: Select all

strip --strip-unneeded filename
on any that are not stripped. Right click and properties will tell you if it is stripped already or not. When you say you compiled it do you mean you installed it from the .deb or the tarball or something? If it doesn't start you may need to try disabling the setuid sandbox and/or the namespace sandbox but I am not familiar with Xerus64 unfortunately.
Oscar in England

slavvo67

#20 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi Oscar,

By compile, I mean that I downloaded the source files, extracted and did a make / make install. Is that the right term? :oops:

So would I strip the file in the tar.gz prior to doing the make / make install moves or do I go in after?

OscarTalks

#21 Post by OscarTalks »

The tarballs (or .debs) that I have been downloading are not source code, they are pre-compiled archives so I just put them where I want them, no make or make install. In the unpacked archive there should be the main directory with any files that may be not-stripped.
Oscar in England

Puppus Dogfellow

thanks again, Oscar

#22 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

working well in precise, unicorn, and xenial (derivatives).

thanks/mirrored

:D

Pelo

Version 23.0.1300.0 (165188)

#23 Post by Pelo »

Surprise Puppy-es night 5.5 has Iron as default browser. What an idea ! Browser is a tool that will drive me to my prefered web sites, including Facebook and You Tube. If Iron does it, why not ?
Version 23.0.1300.0 (165188). Ouah colleagues have newer...
Facebook is OK. Iron has been bookmarked with Puppy-es developers forums. Bravo Nilson, Bravo josep2424, that is the way to enter in contact with the pupjibaros
Attachments
onglets.jpg
Puppy-es 55, Iron Browser selected as default.. hum...
(23.92 KiB) Downloaded 1341 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

OscarTalks

#24 Post by OscarTalks »

Version updated to 52.0.2750.0
Released August 21st 2016

This version now autodetects Pepper Flash but the path is hard-coded so the plugin lib must be placed in /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin for this to work. The wrapper script then does not need to specify the path.

EDIT:- November 2016, Pepper Flash updated to 23.0.0.207
Note that chrome://plugins reports an older version (incorrectly)
Use http://adobe.com/software/flash/about to see the true installed version.

Plays Twitter and Periscope videos and others (which some browsers do not).

Experimental 32bit packages tested briefly in Precise, Slacko 5.7 (needs libgconf2 as always) and also Wheezy.
Oscar in England

OscarTalks

#25 Post by OscarTalks »

Version 54.0.2850.0
Seems OK with sandboxing disabled in those slightly older Puppies.
Pepper Flash 23.0.0.207 added.
Not sure about Netflix. The widevine libs are in there but?
NOTE:- the location /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin already exists in the Puppy system as a symlink to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins so I have to put the Pepper Flash libpepflashplayer.so at /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins in the package. That way both .pet and .sfs install and work as expected.
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#26 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Oscar.

Many thanks for this. 54.0.2850.0 is running beautifully in Tahr 6.05, Slacko 5.7.0, X-Slacko 2.3.2 and Precise 5.7.1.

I'm running a single instance of this, mounted on a remote partition, and making liberal use of Pup's powerful sym-link function into all four Pups using davids45's method. For anybody who's interested, the thread is here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=99388

Despite the somewhat disparaging posts further into the thread, I find it works a treat.....and is allowing me to use a really modern Chromium clone on the 32-bit Pups. And it does seem a bit daft setting up multiple copies of the same app/browser/whatever across multiple Pups. I still like SlimJet (don't get me wrong).....but I've kinda got used to Chrome/Chromium's new, angular tabs.

Appreciated. Cheers!

BTW: I've given NetFlix a tryout, but....no soap, I'm afraid. It errors out with a network connection fault.....which is not one I've seen before.

Mike. :wink:

OscarTalks

#27 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi Mike,

The strange thing about Netflix support was that the announcement on the Iron forum said that you need to copy the libwidevinecdm.so from Chrome, but the file was included in the Iron package so I was not sure if they had stuck it in there themselves. You could try substituting the one from the latest Chrome and see if that makes any difference if you get chance.

Each of these Chromium derivatives seems to have certain merits even though of course they all have lots of similarities. Iron is a good option for people who want one that looks similar to Chromium or Chrome but want a very recent version for 32bit Puppies with glibc 2.13 or later.
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#28 Post by Mike Walsh »

OscarTalks wrote:Hi Mike,

You could try substituting the one from the latest Chrome and see if that makes any difference if you get chance.

Iron is a good option for people who want one that looks similar to Chromium or Chrome but want a very recent version for 32bit Puppies with glibc 2.13 or later.
Mm. Y'see, the major snag with that is that Chrome no longer comes in 32-bit, does it? And I can't see that the 64-bit ELFs from a current Chrome will work, y'know?

The only thing I can think of to try is substituting the libwidevineadapter.so module from one of peebee's recent Chromium builds. He's been getting them from AlienBob, of course.....but Bob's got job and personal concerns that mean he's not got the time to keep stuff up to date at the moment. And peebee's current builds are now coming from the Open Mandriva Project.....and from what I understand, they're only compatible with the very newest Pups now. :?

Mike Walsh

#29 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, Oscar.

We have..... (wait for it, wait for it)..... SUCCESS. :D

I did some digging around in AlienBob's repo. The very last 32-bit WideVine module he produced was the one for the final 32-bit release of Chrome (48.0.2564.116).....which is the one I run myself.

However, rather than poach it from my Chrome build, I've used his.....and it does indeed work for Iron.

So, for anyone who would like to be able to watch NetFlix in a very modern Chromium clone on 32-bit Pups, here's how:-

1) Download the chromium-libwidevinecdm.so module from here:-

http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbu ... /pkg/14.1/

Third entry up from the bottom.

2) Extract the libwidevine.cdm.so module to a known location.

3) Open /usr/lib/iron, and move the existing libwidevinecdm.so module to a safe location (just in case), then copy the new version you've just extracted over in its place.

4) Go into your NetFlix a/c, and.....enjoy!

This should work for most of the more recent Pups. As stated earlier in this thread, I run a single instance of this from a remote data partition, sym-linked into multiple 32-bit Pups, and it works fine.

Incidentally, the libwidevinecdm.so as supplied with Iron is around 140 kb in size. The WideVine module from AlienBob is nearly 7 MB in size; quite a difference, no?

It turns this into a totally usable, everyday Chrome/Chromium replacement. I didn't think I'd hear myself saying this, but it may well take over (for me) as my go-to- Chrome replacement. Iron has improved by leaps & bounds recently; I remember the extremely old version of it I tried in SliTaz some while ago (11? 12? ...something like that), and that was impossible to sync with your Google account.....and it didn't support my few 'must-have' extensions. This is now very, very good.

My only grumble is the way it insists on having Pepper in the 'adobe-flash' directory; makes it impossible to sym-link it to my 'common' PepperFlash directory on the remote data partition. And you can't change the 'switches' or parameters for this since, as Oscar points out, it's 'hard-coded' into the binary itself... Grrr!!

(I have my entire system set-up so that one single update of Pepper updates it for every Chrome/Chromium-based browser that I run.....though that's not as many now as it used to be, with sym-linking 'common' browser installs throughout the Pups.)

Anyway, hope that's of some use..!

slavvo67

#30 Post by slavvo67 »

On the 64 bit side, I'm having difficulty getting versions of Iron past 52.0.2750.0 (64-bit) working in Quirky Xerus (or RU Xerus). Probably another sandbox issue but I'm not sure... yet...

Mike Walsh

#31 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Slavvo.

I might be able to help you on this one. I'm about to start knocking together an SFS for 64-bit Iron myself, so.....we'll see what we shall see!

Am I right in thinking that the 64-bit version still wants Pepper in the adobe-flashplugin directory?

Mike Walsh

#32 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, Slavvo.

Well I can answer that last question myself. Strangely, it still wants /usr/lib.....not /usr/lib64, as you might expect...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE:- Your 'sandboxing' issues. You'll probably find, like I have, that all recent Chrome (and indeed Chromium-based 'clones') on the 64-bit architecture now want to run with 'full' sandboxing.....even with the necessary Puppy 'tweaks'. I don't mind this in the slightest, 'cos it's got to be more secure like that..!

If you're using the .deb file, you'll need to change permissions on the 'chrome-wrapper' script itself. Instead of being

r w x
r  -  x
r  -  x
.....which is what I normally use, it is in fact showing

r w -
r  w  -
r  -  -
No execute permissions at all. I tumbled to that one when after initially failing to start from the Menu entry, I tried the wrapper-script direct from the terminal, and got 'Permission denied!'

I've moved the Iron directory to /opt (as per my usual practice), changed the .desktop entry to suit, and used a modified version of my 64-bit SlimJet wrapper-script. I've enclosed it below if you want to take a look.

On the Net flix front, I've replaced the libwidevinecdm.so module with that from the current Chrome; SRWare's supplied one was still giving network errors.....but it's so small, compared to Chrome's, there's got to be a ton of stuff missing, to my way of thinking. Put simply, it now works.

Attachments
Iron wrapper script.tar.gz
Modified Iron 'chrome-wrapper' launcher script. This is working for me...
(782 Bytes) Downloaded 362 times

Mike Walsh

#33 Post by Mike Walsh »

Curiously, although libpepflashplayer.so and manifest.json are included in the correct location and path in the SFS, they just will not load, for some strange reason. So you have to place them manually in the /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin directory.....and then Iron 'finds' them.

Any thoughts?

OscarTalks

#34 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi Mike,

That situation with the adobe-flashplugin directory had me puzzled for a while. I eventually figured out that because it exists as a symlink in the Puppy .iso this means that if you use a .pet package it will work but if you load Iron as a .sfs it won't. I think this is because .sfs packages are loaded underneath the main .iso in the layered filesystem. The libpepflashplayer.so in your package becomes hidden because the original symlink sits on top of it and obscures it.

Stick libpepflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins in your package and also include a relative symlink from /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins in the package just to have everything structured correctly (even though it already exists in Puppy). I think these paths are all /usr/lib/* and NOT /usr/lib64 even in the 64bit Puppies.
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#35 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Oscar!

You've just saved me the trouble of PM-ing you; I was about to say I'd figured this one out myself, and was going to let you know...

Yep; that's the crux of the problem. /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins is an inode.....a 'concrete' location. In Puppy, adobe-flashplugin is a sym-link; and you can't install to a sym-link, can you? Or, if you can (with a .pet package), I'm hanged if I can see how...

I've made my SFS up to have libpepflashplayer.so installed to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, and left it at that. Because of the sym-link, it appears in adobe-flashplugin, Iron finds it, and everybody's happy. And, er, yes; you're right. Even in x86-64, it still uses lib, not lib64. Which confuses the issue, to say the least..... :P