Can't access an ext3 partition

Using applications, configuring, problems
okok

Can't access an ext3 partition

#1 Post by okok »

I ran Puppy on an Ubuntu machine with two partitions: a swap partition and a single, large ext3 partition.

But I could not access the ext3 partition. The Media Utility Tool showed an error message saying more or less this (some of the text was covered by the clickable items next to the drives and was hard or impossible to read):

1. vfat
.../dev/hda1: could not ... read boot sector r=-1child process exited abnormally.

When I tried to use this tool to mount and view the contents of the paritition, it showed several files with names made of unrecognizable characters.

When booting that machine normally (nor from the Puppy CD), it runs Ubuntu without any sign of problem. So can the problem be in Puppy?

Runemaster

#2 Post by Runemaster »

Make sure that you are shutting down Ubuntu properly, this happened to me when i couldnt access my ntfs partition for 'doze, i didnt shutdown 'doze right, and when i went into puppy it wouldnt let me access the ntfs partition. but yea ive seen this message before when i turn off my swap file that is what seems to appear but its not causing any problems for me so i havent tryed to fix it. but i will try playing around with my swap until i fix it and we'll see if you can do the samething with your ext3 partition.