what driver should i use with an atheros card?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
zenkalia

what driver should i use with an atheros card?

#1 Post by zenkalia »

i'm going to try to get this laptop as puppy-oriented as i can... it's damn fast right now (ubuntu with ion2 as the window manager) but who can resist the puppy?

anyways, i know that this laptop has a card with an atheros chipset and i know that there exists a windows driver for it since i'm posting this through it... do you guys know which one it is or what command i can use to find out what driver i am actually using?

thanks
omg i wish i were more of a nerd... =[

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I think you want the madwifi dotpup. I'm sorry I don't know more. I have a Netgear WG311 802.11g card with the Atheros chipset that I tinkered with a bit but never actually got connected to my municipal wireless network.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

laptopnewbee

#3 Post by laptopnewbee »

zenkalia wrote:anyways, i know that this laptop has a card with an atheros chipset and i know that there exists a windows driver for it since i'm posting this through it... do you guys know which one it is or what command i can use to find out what driver i am actually using?
Flash wrote:I think you want the madwifi dotpup.
as flash says madwifi is supposed to be the linux driver for the chipset, but i can't get it to work with my card. i recommend as a second option you get wifi-1.0.4-beta-2.pup. it works for me. it does require that you use ndiswrapper which the installer will load it into for you, then you open a terminal in your /root/my-applications/bin directory and type "modprobe ndiswrapper" without the quotes. if it works you will be able to connect.
Flash wrote:I'm sorry I don't know more. I have a Netgear WG311 802.11g card with the Atheros chipset that I tinkered with a bit but never actually got connected to my municipal wireless network.
flash, i'm running a netgear wg511u double-108 802.11g card and puppy doesn't like the drivers provided by netgear, but the solution above got it running. since WAG doesn't work from the 2.02 live cd i did have to install rutilt-v12.pup to configure to my municipal wireless network, and it sees other networks as well. the file being a dotpup installs fine with the dotpup installer.

luck to both of you.

ps i'm right now looking for the post where i saw what file to put the modprobe command in so the drivers load during boot.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Thanks a bunch, laptopnewbee. :D

laptopnewbee

#5 Post by laptopnewbee »

most welcome flash.

now as i posted earlier here is the place to put the modprobe command:

/etc/rc.d/rc.local

if the file is as empty as mine is just put it at the bottom, but if you have other things that need a sequnce then you need to figure out where to fit it in.

BTW, i have been playing with puppy 2.10 and found out that i can use the netgear drivers there. i think it may be a matter of how i loaded them.

insert the driver cd that came with the card.
open the directory with the .inf file. (on my cd the important files are both in their own directory and grouped with some other files, i used the directory)
open xterm there.
at the prompt type "source XXXX.cat" where XXXX.cat is the name of the .cat file. (yes it looks like puppy likes at least one cat)
next enter "ndiswrapper -i XXXX.inf" where XXXX.inf is the name of the .inf file
please note that the quotes are not included in your xterm input.
now to make sure things went well:
input "ndiswrapper -l" (that's a lower case L)
if all went well xterm should say something like this:
netwg51u driver installed, hardware present

while i was writing this post i installed the driver and now i can get rid of that bunch of other drivers that came from the wifi beta file

maybe i will try installing my other wifi card and see how that one works.

Runemaster

#6 Post by Runemaster »

Dude just pop your cd with the wireless card driver in while you are running in puppy and follow the instructions in the ndiswrapper , which is in the wireless wizard. thats what I did with my D-link DWL-G630 which uses and atheros chipset also and its working fine, the only thing I'm having trouble with is puppy won't retain the settings for it. so everytime I boot puppy I have to modprrobe ndiswrapper, run RutilT to find my wireless access point, then I have to rune the ehternet wizard to auto dchp, so I can get and ip address. so I don't know whats up with that but I hope that helps.
Adventurer: I seek knowledge and strength.

Seer:Knowledge comes from experience.....Strength comes from battleaxes.