Web engine security updates in Linux

For discussions about security.
mavrothal

Web engine security updates in Linux

#1 Post by mavrothal »

Came across this long but very interesting blogpost by a WebKitGTK developer regarding security updates in Linux distros. I'll just put some quotes here to trigger you interest, as I find it fairly informative.
Web engines are full of security vulnerabilities, like buffer overflows, null pointer dereferences, and use-after-frees. The details don’t matter; what’s important is that skilled attackers can turn these vulnerabilities into exploits, using carefully-crafted HTML to gain total control of your user account on your computer (or your phone). They can then install malware, read all the files in your home directory, use your computer in a botnet to attack websites, and do basically whatever they want with it.

If the web engine is sandboxed, then a second type of attack, called a sandbox escape, is needed. This makes it dramatically more difficult to exploit vulnerabilities. Chromium has a top-class Linux sandbox. WebKit does have a Linux sandbox, but it’s not any good, so it’s (rightly) disabled by default. Firefox does not have a sandbox due to major architectural limitations (which Mozilla is working on).
QtWebKit is widely-used and deserves some attention first.

It’s broken, too.

QtWebKit

QtWebKit is the WebKit port used by Qt software, most notably KDE. Some cherry-picked examples of popular applications using QtWebKit are Amarok, Calligra, KDevelop, KMail, Kontact, KTorrent, Quassel, Rekonq, and Tomahawk. QtWebKit provides an excellent Qt API, so in the past it’s been the clear best web engine to use for Qt applications.

After Google forked WebKit, the QtWebKit developers announced they were switching to work on QtWebEngine, which is based on Chromium, instead. This quickly led to the removal of QtWebKit from the WebKit project. This was good for the developers of other WebKit ports, since lots of Qt-specific code was removed, but it was terrible for KDE and other QtWebKit users.
WebKitGTK+ is the port used by GTK+ software. It’s most strongly associated with its flagship browser, Epiphany, but it’s also used in other places. Some of the more notable users include Anjuta, Banshee, Bijiben (GNOME Notes), Devhelp, Empathy, Evolution, Geany, Geary, GIMP, gitg, GNOME Builder, GNOME Documents, GNOME Initial Setup, GNOME Online Accounts, GnuCash, gThumb, Liferea, Midori, Rhythmbox, Shotwell, Sushi, and Yelp (GNOME Help). In short, it’s kind of important, not only for GNOME but also for Ubuntu and Elementary.Just as QtWebKit used to be the web engine for choice for Qt applications, WebKitGTK+ is the clear choice for GTK+ applications due to its nice GObject APIs.

Historically, WebKitGTK+ has not had security updates. Of course, we released updates with security fixes, but not with CVE identifiers, which is how software developers track security issues; as far as distributors are concerned, without a CVE identifier, there is no security issue, and so, with a few exceptions, distributions did not release our updates to users. For many applications, this is not so bad, but for high-risk applications like web browsers and email clients, it’s a huge problem.
And there is much more to it plus very interesting discussion.

What I find interesting (besides the fact that many more application than browsers are affected) is that at the end of the day when it comes to the client side of the web, linux users are considerably worse off.
A reaffirmation that one should be very careful with the web sites they visit, their emails and attachment and their downloads of any kind (even things like images from another website embedded into a forum?... :shock: ).
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Scooby

#2 Post by Scooby »

Interesting.

There was some unsubstantiated comments though as that the linux sandbox
was bad which is not my experience.

Maybe he meant that webkit has its own sandbox like chrome?

Does the problem boil down to javascript again?

I checked my version of geany and it doesn't seem to depend on webkit
as stated in article??

there is a dspendency for geany pluggins on webkitgtk+
I dont have that installed and my geany is not used against the web
directly

Also the dependency for instance for gimp is optional.

I get a feeling that he is trying hard to get his point through.

I wonder what he plays for? more controll over dists??

Fbang

#3 Post by Fbang »

is this a problem for puppy users?

bark_bark_bark

#4 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I really honestly wouldn't put any faith in in-browser sandboxes. It's been shown before that they are really weak and that would be better to get a dedicated sandbox program.

8Geee

#5 Post by 8Geee »

Fbang;

The inclusion off 'geany' (file editor/script editor) means that there IS some problem. How substantial, IDK.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

smokey01

#6 Post by smokey01 »

Fatdog64-702 has a pretty good sandbox. Open a terminal and type:
sandbox.sh
then type: xwin
From within this environment I can run google-chrome. I imagine this would be pretty safe as everything in the session is dumped when the sandbox is closed and the main system is protected.