64 bit Puppies & Epson XP200 printer

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
davids45

64 bit Puppies & Epson XP200 printer

#1 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
Recently I got around to trying my Epson-XP200 printer with a range of 64-bit Puppies (all as Frugals) but had no success with driver packages identified as for the XP200, when CUPS-Maintenance printing a test page (so I assume nothing else will print either).

In summary:
Slacko64 + escpr-1.6.3.deb package - error='wrapper-failed' - A4 page default OK

Tahr64 + epson-1.0.0.deb package - error='filter failed' - A4 OK

Tahr64 + escpr-1.6.3.deb package - error='filter failed' - A4 OK

FatDog64 + epson-1.0.0-? package - error='filter failed' - A4 OK

JustLighthouse604 + escpr-1.6.3.deb - error='wrapper failed" - cannot set page size in Cups

JustLighthouse604638 + escpr-1.6.3.deb - error='wrapper failed" - cannot set page size in Cups

The various screenshots indicate the CUPS versions in use and how the printer is identified on my home network (the printer is 'Wifi-ed'). The Epson driver is there as well as is the default page size.

Lighthouse CUPS Epson did not allow setting defaults for page size (A4) - just came up with 'Banners' when I clicked Set Defaults so I was stuck with the unusable US paper size.

I did not try the epson .rpm driver versions in any of these 64bit Pups.
And I do not know what to use otherwise to the .deb versions for the slackware-based pups.

I found some January 2016 Epson driver packages (coded escpr and 1.6.3) as alternatives to the epson-1.0.0 versions here:
http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... 2d18c401e9
I tried these .debs where they would load but neither version (the new? 163 or the standard 100) seemed to get past the 'filter failed' stoppage for a test page print.

It could be something in my setting up of the printer location :oops: - but as far as I can tell, I am using what works in the 32-bit Pups.

Thanks for any advice as to what I've overlooked, what is needed, or what extra detail would help sort out my problem with the 64-bit Pups and my printer.

David S.
Attachments
Slacko64escpr163.png
(109.22 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
tahr64epson100.png
(207.04 KiB) Downloaded 465 times
tahr64escpr163.png
(203.41 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
fatdogCupsEpson100.png
(91.06 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
lhpCupsEscpr163NoA4.png
(160.85 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
lhp604638escpr163NoA4.png
(224.74 KiB) Downloaded 465 times

jamesbond

#2 Post by jamesbond »

Mate, I happen to have the same printer.

Fatdog64 701/702 works well with this printer; use the driver from here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/packag ... 6_64-1.txz, it was built from source (which comes from Epson).

In 701 you can set it up as USB as usual - plugin and auto-detect. To setup Wifi printing you need to manually specify an IPP printer with the URL like this: http://printer-ip-address:631/Epson_IPP_Printer

In 702 both USB and Wifi printing is auto-detected, as long as your PC and the printer is on the same Wifi access point; though you can still use the same method as 701 Wifi if you want to.

The scanner works too - but you need to use Epson iscan (not xsane) and you need to install a binary blob from Epson (iscan-network-nt_1.1.1-1_amd64.deb) - put the stuff in /usr/lib64/iscan

Can't say much for the other puppies - although I suspect that Slacko64 should work using the same driver for Fatdog64.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

davids45

Will try FatDog driver packages

#3 Post by davids45 »

G'day jamesbond,

Thanks for the quick reply and the good news that my Epson should print and scan with 64-bit Pups.

It is a great little network-unit with 32-bit Pups so I was disappointed it was not doing anything with the 64-biters.

I'm downloading your link and will give it a test in the 64-bit Pups.

Thanks again,

David S.

davids45

Epson XP200 now prints in FatDog702

#4 Post by davids45 »

G'day jamesbond,

Installed your .txz printer package for the EpsonXP200 into a freshly downloaded (Frugal) FatDog702rc2 (which used my previous FatDog 701 save-file without any obvious drama).

Modified my printer set-up in CUPS by a 'Browse' to the ppd file in the new /opt/... directory

Hit 'Print test page' in 'Maintenance'...... and out came a coloured Printer Test Page', with no error messages :lol: . (see attached screenshot)

I'll now try the scanner driver you've noted, and also this .txz in other slackware-derived Pups.

Thanks for your guidance.

David S.

[PS (off-topic): How do I load a module in FatDog? I can't find the Pup 'Boot Manager' normally in the System menu, and my "CPU Temps" widget needs this module to get input from sensors - see empty space under 'CPU Temps' in screenshot.]
Attachments
fatdog702rc2Printing.png
(112.43 KiB) Downloaded 408 times

davids45

Scanner Also Working

#5 Post by davids45 »

G'day jamesbond,

I couldn't immediately find the .deb you noted in your post but after downloading an iscan-bundle file from the Epson website for my XP-200 (also used by another Epson model M310?),

extracting this bundle,

then extracting the 3 .deb files from the first extraction (one of these three was your 'mystery' deb :D ),

then copying the extracted files to the directories indicated from the second extractions, with the usr/libs going to usr/lib64, and

editing my /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf to tell the package to look at 'net 192.168.2.102' for the scanner (I also edited epson2.conf just in case),

then dragging the /usr/bin/iscan to the desktop, and adding an icon

and clicking on this, I was scanning via the XP-200 :lol: (see screenshot of 'Preview').

Thanks once again,

David S.
Attachments
fatdogXP200iscan.png
(173.96 KiB) Downloaded 399 times

jamesbond

Re: Epson XP200 now prints in FatDog702

#6 Post by jamesbond »

Glad you made it work both ways :D
[PS (off-topic): How do I load a module in FatDog? I can't find the Pup 'Boot Manager' normally in the System menu, and my "CPU Temps" widget needs this module to get input from sensors - see empty space under 'CPU Temps' in screenshot.]
Edit /etc/modules and add the name of the modules you need there. Sorry there is no GUI to manage this, it presumes you already know the name of the modules you need. You can copy the modules names from other puppies as necessary - they usually are the same.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

davids45

[off-topic] fixed Widget CPU Temps

#7 Post by davids45 »

G'day jamesbond,

Thanks for the advice about loading modules by editing /etc/modules.
FatDog now reports my CPU temps (and fan speeds - check screenshot) via your help.

Now back to those troublesome other 64-bit Puppies and my Epson-XP200.

David S.
Attachments
CPUTempsModuleLoaded.jpg
(66.63 KiB) Downloaded 375 times

davids45

Tahr64 now printing test page

#8 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

As all my 64-bit Pups are Frugal installs, I made an .sfs of jamesbond's .txz Epson-XP200 FatDog-702-working driver package and have tried this sfs being loaded at booting (using Boot Manager) with Tahr64 and Slacko64 Pups.

The boot-loaded sfs works in TahrPup64 for printing a test page and giving no error messages in CUPS-1.7.5 :D . (Screenshot just after test page printed also shows boot manager status)

In slacko64 and CUPS-1.5.4, I saw a brief error about 'unable to open the page' which disappeared and a test page then printed but without the expected colour patches above the text :? (screenshot after colourless test page printed) .
I'll try printing a coloured document later with slacko64 to see if it's only B&W printing or this is just a test-page printing problem.

And also later try this .sfs in the other 64-bit Pups.

I've just about reached the [SOLVED] position with my wifi-networked XP-200 printer & 64-bits :) .

David S.
Attachments
tahr64_epson64_sfs.jpg
(125.01 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
slacko64_epsonXPsfs_colourless.png
(178.61 KiB) Downloaded 390 times

davids45

Just_Lighthouse64 fails at last CUPS step

#9 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Just when it was going so well.......

Trying my above noted Epson-XP200 64-bit sfs in Just-LighthousePup-604.638, Boot Manager loads the files to /opt during boot-up.

When 'Adding Printer' in CUPS (1.5.4), I enter all the usual information to identify my networked XP200, but at the final CUPS step - after 'Browsing" to the ppd in /opt (see screenshot) - and finally clicking on 'Add Printer', CUPS just reverts to the 'Administration' page with nothing added to the Printers list.

Would something in one of the CUPS errors logs indicate what is preventing the XP200 being added?

This is the only 64-bit Pup (so far - Werewolf awaits!) where I had to log-in to CUPS ('root' and 'woofwoof' seemed to be OK?).

Will post this problem to the Lighthouse thread as it looks by now a problem in the Pup set-up, not the Epson driver.

All comments/ideas welcome.

David S.
Attachments
LighthouseCups_addingXP200ppd.jpg
(118.81 KiB) Downloaded 359 times