T.O.P.L.E.S.S. Version 1.0.1 - now available !!!

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
LazY Puppy

#61 Post by LazY Puppy »

greengeek wrote:
starhawk wrote:Although I do not understand exactly what TOPLESS is/does, yet
I'm going to go out on a limb here and attempt a description:
TOPLESS allows the user to take a standard puppy.sfs as released from the developer and personalise it without changing the original puppy.sfs at all
This avoids the "remaster" situation where you would end up with a number of different modified puppy.sfs files all with the same name.

How does it do this? By having a .cfg file which the user fills with a list of their desired personalisations. And by having a number of .sfs files containing the software the user wants to be grafted in to the pup during boot.

Whats the point? - well lets say you love Tahrpup but like to use it for a number of quite different tasks. You could develop a single personalised Tahrpup with everything installed in it to create a bloated install.
Alternatively, you might want to have 6 different slim versions of Tahrpup (maybe for use by different people on different machines) without doing 6 remasters.
Why create 6 different Tahrpups?
1) A version for indepth graphics creation and manipulation
2) A version for high powered audio applications
3) A version for CAD file creation and scientifc/mathematical modelling
4) A version in a foreign language for your auntie in southeast Monrovia
5) A version with pink lovehearts and lavender floral wallpaper (yuk) for your niece.
6) A wordprocessing version designed to run on a low powered PC.

If I understand it correctly, all of these versions use the same main puppy.sfs - they all get personalised during the boot process by way of the config file and the pile of available sfses you've chosen.

I guess this means you could have one frugal install that can be personalised many different ways - just by virtue of the cfg file. A personal puppy for everyone in the family.

In theory this probably means that if a puppy developer released an updated main puppy.sfs (lets say containing a security fix for wget) it becomes easy to incorporate that without going through a whole series of remasters.

Also - this method allows you to run without savefile - so that your puppy is fully personalised but after each boot it comes up in a pristine state without any accidental junk that you loaded by mistake during the last session. No malware incorporated into a savefile. So you get the benfits of personalisation and also the benefits of pristine non-persistence.

(Just save any personal data on an external partition - that's what every user should be doing already anyway...)

Jeez I hope I'm fairly representing TOPLESS here - don't want to be misinforming :oops: )
STRIKE! :D :lol:

(not exactly up to 100% but up to 99.5% 8) )
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

#62 Post by LazY Puppy »

Ok.

A PM had made me up to think about the Name T.O.P.L.E.S.S. - this Name was described as being a bad, bad Name and being also sexist in that PM.

Since I'm a German I would like to tell you, that its German translation, Oben Ohne, is not at all just sexist. Though it is used also for topless cars - the Cabrios.

Also since I'm a German -and we all do know about the Germans History.

So I would like to ask, what would you like to prefer:

T.O.P.L.E.S.S. - which means: (T)opless (O)rganizing & (P)uppy (L)inux (E)xpanding (S)FS-P.L.U.S. (S)ervice

or

N.S.-F.L.O.T. - which is the backgrounded meaning (N)o (S)ave (F)ile (L)ayer (O)n (T)op

Let's assume you're NOT a heavy Ego Shooter Gamer: what Name for the software would make you buying/using it?

:lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol:
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

greengeek

#63 Post by greengeek »

LazY Puppy wrote:Though it is used also for topless cars - the Cabrios
Nothing like the feeling of the wind through your hair. How about CabrioPup:

Configured At Boot. Realtime Inclusion Of Preconfigured User Parameters

:-)
Last edited by greengeek on Thu 25 Feb 2016, 04:29, edited 1 time in total.

LazY Puppy

#64 Post by LazY Puppy »

That's cool.

Couldn't have been invented by a German. Only by a native English speaking person.

But, it's just not a Pup...
RSH

SouthPaws

Names

#65 Post by SouthPaws »

Hello LazY Puppy. The proper term(in English) for those types of cars is 'convertible'. I don't think that would work so well.

Maybe 'open top' or 'open air'

or 'open carriage'(this one reminds of old cars)

or 'open stack'

or 'drop top'(this is slang).

'Open' looks very similar to 'Oben'. :wink:
[url]http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/sunday_bible_study/2005.10.09_McOwen.htm[/url]

bark_bark_bark

#66 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I don't understand how T.O.PL.E.S.S. could be seen as sexist! Just keep the name as it is, it's creative and different.

LazY Puppy

#67 Post by LazY Puppy »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I don't understand how T.O.PL.E.S.S. could be seen as sexist! Just keep the name as it is, it's creative and different.
Yes, I think also it's creative and different.

The PM writer also suggested to me to use common words instead of creating new words and/or made-up words - just where I could not find a common word or description in DE for such a new thing never seen anywhere.

So, how could I solve this in EN?

I think a normal person is owning around 10,000 to 12,000 words in his mother tongue in mind. I believe I got only around a thousand (or less) words in mind, if it comes to EN.

Also its full term describes pretty good what it is intended to do - at least greengeek did hit the button right.

Though the CABRIO*** had something that looked cool to me in some few ways.

But mostly it's annoying to me as I absolutely don't like Cars and I don't like Dogs for real.

And the most ugliest combination of those two -in my opinion- is a Girl in a Cabrio with a Dog on the Seat besides the Driver's Seat - the Dog of course without to use the seat belt. Just horrible!!!

And last but not least keeping the Name T.O.P.L.E.S.S. will save me lots of work to redo / to repeat like creating the Wallpapers, renaming the RoxApp Directory plus the probably need of changing some Contents in some of its Scripts then etc.pp.
RSH

LazY Puppy

#68 Post by LazY Puppy »

B.K. Johnson wrote:Oh, oh! I think I spot a problem. You state:
The code added will be executed from /etc/profile.local at boot up, after the designs_xxx_xxx.sfs is loaded. So when X desktop appears the mouse cursor theme should be activated already.
No such file exists. There is a /etc/profile.d.
Just needed to quote this snippet from here.
RSH

LazY Puppy

#69 Post by LazY Puppy »

The quotes in this post are taken from a PM by B.K. Johnson.

This Guy is robs my last nerve with his permanent PM requests for support on a Subject that I had declared as DISCONTINUED and later as PAUSED - so this here Topic.
Since I was the only one trying TOPLESS, you were probably anxious to have me test your implementation and confirm your own results. Now that won't happen.
No, you are NOT the only one trying T.O.P.L.E.S.S.

By today there 75 downloads of the fix I attached to the 1st post of this Topic.

Obviously that means there are probably 75 users that had give this a try - probably some more as they may have solved the small issue manually.

So, you are simply the only one person who constantly annoys me with PMs asking for these and that support.
Or did you just want a tester?
No, I don't need a tester as I know that my programs are working BEFORE I'm offering them to the Community.
This is my last PM to you. Tschüs, not Auf Wiedersehen!
FINALLY !!! :D
RSH

stemsee

#70 Post by stemsee »

How about

ABC - 'Advanced-Bootup-Configurator'

:)

LazY Puppy

#71 Post by LazY Puppy »

stemsee wrote:How about

ABC - 'Advanced-Bootup-Configurator'

:)
Thanks for the suggestion, though, I think I keep T.O.P.L.E.S.S. as the name, since I had already started to write a Manual/Tutorial in German - which is by the way much better structured and effectively sorted.

It would now just make much too much work to rename all that files and content inside of these files. I'm writing this Manual/Tutorial as .html files as I plan to include this into the documents.sfs of T.O.P.L.E.S.S. that will remain (e.g. for tahr 602) as documents_tahr_6.0.2.sfs.

I will include this also directly into the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. RoxApp Directory so a user can read the Manual/Tutorial from right-clicking the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. RoxApp Directory right before he's starting to use T.O.P.L.E.S.S. to convert the Puppy.

That says the user will have a complete offline Guide for all the steps to use T.O.P.L.E.S.S. and to setup the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. Puppy configuration right before booting a T.O.P.L.E.S.S. Puppy the first time after a convert.
RSH

phat7

#72 Post by phat7 »

LazY Puppy wrote:This Guy is robs my last nerve with his permanent PM requests
And you - being an decent person - of course obtained his permission before publicly quoting his private messages, right?

LazY Puppy

#73 Post by LazY Puppy »

phat7 wrote:
LazY Puppy wrote:This Guy is robs my last nerve with his permanent PM requests
And you - being an decent person - of course obtained his permission before publicly quoting his private messages, right?
I just don't care about that when -in Fact- I had told the person that I DON'T want to give support by PM as this is some sort of exclusive support for a single person, getting information that may be also useful for some other users, that may NOT be members of this here forum or being members of the forum.

If you want to have some support on my software -for what ever reason- post it in the topic.

If you don't follow my advice that I DON'T want to give exclusive support to single users by PM I DON'T care about quoting the your PM in the topic.

The short term PM stays for long term Private Message!

Support for a software published in the Forum is NOTHING PRIVATE - except I would have sent to you exclusively a software of mine and you would be the exclusive tester.

That's just NOT the case here. So NO need for being decent!!!

Not really that hard to understand, no?

If you can't live/stay with that, DON'T use my software!

Got me?

As you may have noticed, there are already posts by B.K. Johnson in this topic. But he didn't care and had returned to ask for support by PM after I once had mentioned my general skepticism giving exclusive support for a single person by PM.

Edit:

As you may have noticed also -just one day- there is usually an amount of appr. 80 up to 120 Guests online in this forum, so there is for real a good chance for users not being members but being interested in solutions to be found on the forum.

I think this forum really is NOT of that much interest to watch it if you are NOT a member and also NOT interested in solutions.

Oh, and don't get me nailed down too exactly on the words I use to explain whatever I want to explain. I'm a German and I may just have appr. a max. of 10% of the amount of English words in mind, that a native English speaker usually has. When it comes to special terms it may go down to 2% or 3% at all. Even less...

Though, "not giving exclusive support for a single person by PM" may hopefully not able to be misunderstood in any manner.

(also edited typos)
RSH

B.K. Johnson

#74 Post by B.K. Johnson »

I had no intention to get into a flame war with this arrogant, pompous, ass,' but I am now compelled to show him up for what he is.

LazY Puppy, you toss tradition by not seeking my permission to quote me in public; then when chastised for doing so, say "you don't care about that". The fact is I had already stated that it was my last PM. You knew that fact when you made the post? You posted after that PM. So what was the justification? WHAT WAS IT IN THAT LAST PM THAT TRIGGERED THIS INSANE ACTION? A sane person who was aggrieved at having to reluctantly provide support would have smiled and probably have said to himself: "I got rid of the f...... But not you. Your justification is a veiled attempt to make yourself feel and appear important. You suffer from delusions of grandeur. You show utter disdain for the community and its reputation as a friendly and helpful place. And so for the community, and what little reputation I may have here, I hope the community will understand that after that last diatribe, that I should have equal opportunity to quote as freely from his PMs as he of mine, and forgive me for taking it. I have my musket loaded with one shot. I have to search for some bullets for my repeating rifle. I haven't shot a coyote in a long, long time. I'll take that first shot now; I'll be back with the rifle in a couple days.

B.K. Johnson stated in PM to Lazy Puppy:
You are being arrogant, Rainer.
LazY Puppy's reply:
Yes, I'm arrogant.

This is one of my favorite behavior when there is a reason to act that way. And I'm continuing having fun on that behavior.
LazY Puppy, your justification for the post with quotes from my PMs to you is that I repeatedly sought support from you (a) via PM and (b) I did so after you had marked the thread Discontinued and Paused. I URGE YOU TO TELL THE COMMUNITY SPECIFICALLY what did I seek support from you for.

You have a habit of not only answering a question asked, but then continuing, rambling on tangentially related stuff, showing off your knowledge. Don't make the mistake of including those secondary items.

You asked for the fight. Don't run and hide now.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

LazY Puppy

#75 Post by LazY Puppy »

I had no intention to get into a flame war with this arrogant, pompous, ass,
Hear people, hear...

So you say! :lol:
LazY Puppy, you toss tradition by not seeking my permission to quote me in public;
Yes, I toss tradition! :D

That's how I had worked in the forum since I had joined it. :wink: :D

Just have a look at my work done, so far...

All are tossing the tradition! :D 8)

My tossing of Tradition has taken Puppy Linux a huge step forward as it -through my work done- has had found its way and place into a German Public School - as a replacement for Windows used in classes 7 to 10 by a German Teacher! 8)

That's just so cool, baby! :D
The fact is I had already stated that it was my last PM. You knew that fact when you made the post? You posted after that PM. So what was the justification?
No justification at all.

Just a last note to make clear, that I'm happy about NOT getting PMs anymore by you - whatever you may ask/request in such PM!
WHAT WAS IT IN THAT LAST PM THAT TRIGGERED THIS INSANE ACTION?
I can't see any insane action. Like Albert Einstein said: alles ist relativ!

You may see insane actions, I just don't!
A sane person who was aggrieved at having to reluctantly provide support would have smiled and probably have said to himself: "I got rid of the f...... But not you. Your justification is a veiled attempt to make yourself feel and appear important. You suffer from delusions of grandeur. You show utter disdain for the community and its reputation as a friendly and helpful place. And so for the community, and what little reputation I may have here, I hope the community will understand that after that last diatribe, that I should have equal opportunity to quote as freely from his PMs as he of mine, and forgive me for taking it.
All marked up words had been marked up by me.

I had marked them up to tell you I don't know these words, so I don't get any clue of what you are trying to tell me. And I'm not going to visit Google translate or to search a dictionary, to get a translation to DE, as it isn't worth such effort. I'm just putting this effort and time better into my work and also the German documentation for T.O.P.L.E.S.S., that hopefully will be taken by a member of this here nice forum -except you- to be translated to EN, to make this cool stuff available for ALL Puppy Linux users.
I have my musket loaded with one shot. I have to search for some bullets for my repeating rifle. I haven't shot a coyote in a long, long time. I'll take that first shot now; I'll be back with the rifle in a couple days.
This especially I DO understand completely.

So you saying I'm a coyote and you are going to shoot me in a couple of days.

This is some sort of typical american war behavior.

Not agreeing with an US citizen, or stepping onto a foot either?

Going to be shot to death like a ugly coyote! :lol: :lol: :lol:

...or like a native Indian US citizen, or a black US citizen, or a Vietnamese, or an Arab, or a Koreans or or or...

Poor boy...

Go, search the you private NSA PM database and quote like the quotes will give opportunity to you to shoot me, the coyote.

I did only quote a little part from your last PM, that's just all.
LazY Puppy, your justification for the post with quotes from my PMs to you is that I repeatedly sought support from you (a) via PM and (b) I did so after you had marked the thread Discontinued and Paused. I URGE YOU TO TELL THE COMMUNITY SPECIFICALLY what did I seek support from you for.
No!

I think, if you are able to quote my PMs then you should also be able to quote from the your PMs.

And, just as a side note and a repeat: I did NOT quote from your PMs (multiple) - it was just a single PM (singular), the last one - as you said/wrote.

Hopefully you know the difference between multiple and singular?

You have a habit of not only answering a question asked, but then continuing, rambling on tangentially related stuff, showing off your knowledge. Don't make the mistake of including those secondary items.
Again, I don't know those marked words, so don't get any clue what does this mean.
You asked for the fight. Don't run and hide now.
No I did not ask for a fight, neither did I asked for a flame war.

I can't fight or war in EN as I'm NOT powered/armed equally to a native English speaker. So I don't run away, though I DON'T reply to any further post or PM you will do in this here topic or will send to me.

Go to the off-topic forum and create your own topic, asking: What do you think about RSH, R-S-H, Lazy Puppy?

And continue to ask:

Do you think he is
this arrogant, pompous, ass,
like you had written at the first line in your post above this one.

Or should I go there and open such topic for you, to shoot me to death, me, the coyote?

However, you will never ever hear/read such words from myself in a topic or PM! :D

That's my armed power to avoid flame wars and/or fights! 8)

Otherwise: what about fighting this war in DE? :D 8) :lol:

Have a nice life further more! :D

EDIT:
By the way, here is a small but useful hint to all those US citizens like B.K.Johnson that haven't shoot a coyote for a long, long time: keep it as is, just DON'T shoot, if it is moving. 8) :lol:
RSH

bark_bark_bark

#76 Post by bark_bark_bark »

LazY Puppy wrote:...or like a native Indian US citizen, or a black US citizen, or a Vietnamese, or an Arab, or a Koreans or or or...
You racist, bro?

LazY Puppy

#77 Post by LazY Puppy »

bark_bark_bark wrote:
LazY Puppy wrote:...or like a native Indian US citizen, or a black US citizen, or a Vietnamese, or an Arab, or a Koreans or or or...
You racist, bro?
NO!

Definitely NOT!

I can proof this - if you would be able to read German!

I could send you multiple official Documents that would proof: I'm NOT a Racist!

Also, if I would be a Racist, I would be active in a related forum as there are Racist Forums where People using Puppy Linux, modifying Puppy Linux and returning Puppy Linux back to the Racist Community e.g. offering White Power Wallpapers and similar stuff. I had found such forum once accidentially on the web 2 or 3 years ago, though can't remember its web address.

Also: isn't is just true, your country is the most armed country in the world with the most shoot to death people per year in the world? And mostly them are just not white?

However, please don't trash my topic about this cool T.O.P.L.E.S.S. as I want to restart this on topic!
So, please go following B.K. Johnson into the off topic forum...

EDIT:

By the way, this should be the FULL quote:
Not agreeing with an US citizen, or stepping onto a foot either?

Going to be shot to death like a ugly coyote! :lol: :lol: :lol:

...or like a native Indian US citizen, or a black US citizen, or a Vietnamese, or an Arab, or a Koreans or or or...
RSH

fredx181

#78 Post by fredx181 »

Lazy Puppy wrote:However, please don't trash my topic about this cool T.O.P.L.E.S.S. as I want to restart this on topic!
So, please go following B.K. Johnson into the off topic forum...
It looks like you made your own thread off-topic.
Please don't shoot me :roll:

Seriously, the following is just my opinion and please take it as a friendly advice:

This forum is for sharing everything related to Puppy Linux, it's not meant to fight, certainly not the way things has been escalated in this thread.
You are polluting your own thread, which is not very wise because people are going to associate your behaviour with the software you provide, I mean, not really a promotion for TOPLESS (softly said).

I'm sure you had your disappointments, we all have, but better try to stay calm,

Code: Select all

sleep 3600
Before reacting.

Also I'd say don't worry to much about your English, you know enough words to make people understand what you mean, they feel.

Don't reply on this please, just think about it and contemplate about apologize (or not, as you wish).

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 28 Feb 2016, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

trolls

#79 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Lazy Puppy,

Ditto the sagacious advice of fredx181. "sleep 3600". And while you sleep, dream the advice of my grandfather:

Time is our most valuable resource. Only one fool will take the time to argue with another fool. :)

mikesLr

LazY Puppy

#80 Post by LazY Puppy »

greengeek wrote:A personal puppy for everyone in the family.
While I'm still writing the DE Documentation, this quote from greengeek had given some ideas to me.

So I'd searched the Web for some free Wallpapers to create nice Desktops for some additional presets of T.O.P.L.E.S.S. Main Configuration Files.

T.O.P.L.E.S.S. 1.0.1 will come with a preset of five ( 5 ) additional Configuration Files, as there are (e.g. for Puppy Tahr 6.0.2):

tahr_6.0.2-Animals.cfg - prob. for the Girls
tahr_6.0.2-Cars.cfg - prob. for the Boys
tahr_6.0.2-Landscape.cfg - prob. for Grandma or Aunt
tahr_6.0.2-Martial.cfg - prob. for the Boys & the Men
tahr_6.0.2-Space.cfg - prob. for almost Anyone

The local menu-tahr_6.0.2.lst will include entries to boot all these Configuration Files immediately after converting tahr 6.0.2 into a T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5. Each one has its own setup for the Wallpapers to use.

This means: the tahr 6.0.2 will boot into Image xxxVM1.jpg and switching the Variomenu-Group will switch also the Wallpaper (e.g. switching to VarioMenu-Group 3 using Animals Config will switch to Wallpaper AnimalsVM3.jpg which has a different Desktop Icon setup also).

See attached Image showing all 10 VarioMenu-Groups and its Wallpapers for Animals, Cars, Landscape, Martial and Space.
Attachments
TOPLESS-Desktops-of-ConfigFiles-Presets.jpg
(202.09 KiB) Downloaded 798 times
RSH