How to add new panel buttons to Tahrpup 6.0.5?

Using applications, configuring, problems
scientist

How to add new panel buttons to Tahrpup 6.0.5?

#1 Post by scientist »

In Tahrpup, I see no option to add new panel buttons.
Only delete them.

Is that ability gone ?
Thanks,
Andy

Slacko 6.3.0 FULL INSTALL
JWM
File Manager - Thunar

Terry H

#2 Post by Terry H »

Have a good look at the Tray configuration Tool. There is a button which is labelled "Button" on the left hand side. Familiarize yourself with all the buttons there, they cover all the tray manipulation possible.

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

No, Andy; that ability is still there. Go to Menu>Desktop>JWM Window Manager Settings, then 'Application launch buttons in tray'. You need to enter a tooltip (to remind yourself what it is!), the executable of your choice, and a suitable pixmap.....usually located in /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons. Then simply 'Add'.

Easy-peasy. Adding galculator, gParted, pBurn & system-monitor as app-buttons to the tray is one of the first things I do when I set up a new Pup, as they're functions that I commonly use.

As Terry H says, the button marked 'Tray management' covers all the easily configurable options for the tray. It's sufficient for most people. If you need to configure any further, it's time to get your hands dirty by diving into places like /root/.jwmrc-personal, and such like. That's more Mochi Moppel's territory than it is mine; there is a lad who is perfectly at home amongst the JWM scripts. It's like a foreign language to me!

Hope that helps.

Mike. :wink:

scientist

#4 Post by scientist »

Mike Walsh wrote:No, Andy; that ability is still there. Go to Menu>Desktop>JWM Window Manager Settings, then 'Application launch buttons in tray'. You need to enter a tooltip (to remind yourself what it is!), the executable of your choice, and a suitable pixmap.....usually located in /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons. Then simply 'Add'.

Mike,

It's totally different now.

They use

Add predefined function button

Add shortcut-buttons to installed apps

You no longer get to pick your icon.

And it places the programs on the right side.

I am trying to figure out if I can set
Thanks,
Andy

JWM
File Manager - Thunar

Terry H

#5 Post by Terry H »

You must not be following Mike's directions. You definitely get to choose the icon.I just added a launcher to the tray in TahrPup using Mike's instructions.

When you click 'Application launch buttons in tray', a new window will open 'JWM Panel Button'. You then manually enter the required 3 fields: Popup, Icon (select from Drop Down) , Exec. Then Apply.

scientist

#6 Post by scientist »

I will go one step at a time.

Do I start with Tray Configuration ?

I have no JWM Window Manager Settings.
Thanks,
Andy

JWM
File Manager - Thunar

666philb

#7 Post by 666philb »

with the 6.0.5 iso most desktop settings are now contained in menu>>desktop>>JWMDesk manager

click the launcher tab to easily add program buttons to the tray.

you can still use the old way of setting buttons by typing jwmconfig into a terminal
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, scientist & Terry H.

@Terry H;

I think it's because Andy's using 6.05, Terry. I'm still on 6.03 myself, but as I understand it 6.05 has a lot in common with 01micko's new Slacko 6.3.0.....Mick's made a lot of changes to the usual setup, and I believe some of those changes have been absorbed into the new Tahrpup release.

I had a look at 6.3.0 a while ago when it first came out, since I've always loved 570.....but I quickly came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me; it was too different. Too many changes at once!

@scientist;

Sorry about that, Andy. I've not looked at Tahrpup 6.05 yet; still very happy with 6.03, which fulfills all my requirements, and works perfectly on my 13-yr old Dell lappie. Didn't realise things had changed quite that much. Normally things remain reasonably similar from one Pup to the next (especially in a series), but there's been a bit of a 'sea change' in the current crop of new releases.

I guess you'd be better off posting in the Tahrpup 6.05 thread, and see what 666philB's got to say about it:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96178

Once again, my apologies. It's partly your own fault, you know, for changing distros as often most people change their socks. Can't keep up with ya!! :lol:

EDIT: There you go.....Phil's just beaten me to it. Must be telepathic!

Terry H

#9 Post by Terry H »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hi, scientist & Terry H.

@Terry H;

I think it's because Andy's using 6.05, Terry. I'm still on 6.03 myself, but as I understand it 6.05 has a lot in common with 01micko's new Slacko 6.3.0.....Mick's made a lot of changes to the usual setup, and I believe some of those changes have been absorbed into the new Tahrpup release.
Yes, I also realised the same this morning when I saw scientist's last post, my 32-bit tahrpup is from the previous release. My original post, did however give the correct application to use, as I was using the latest Tahr64 at the time. I just didn't give the full path to get to the Tray Config Tool.

scientist

#10 Post by scientist »

666philb wrote:with the 6.0.5 iso most desktop settings are now contained in menu>>desktop>>JWMDesk manager

click the launcher tab to easily add program buttons to the tray.

you can still use the old way of setting buttons by typing jwmconfig into a terminal
Thanks a lot.

jwmconfig is exactly what I was looking for.

It looks like Tahrpup will be my primary O.S. :-)
Thanks,
Andy

JWM
File Manager - Thunar

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

scientist wrote:It looks like Tahrpup will be my primary O.S. :)
Well, if Phil pays as much attention to detail with 605 as he did with its older siblings, it'll be a very solid, reliable Pup.

You'll not go far wrong with it.