CamPhoneTab - USB interface for cameras/phones/tablets

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
april

#61 Post by april »

gcmartin wrote:Thanks. 64bit remains a PM only option.
I've got to wonder about the logic behind doing that.What is being hidden or achived by that . If its out there then put it out . Why hold it out as availabe only to selectively distribute it ?

I'm starting to look at "rcrsn51" as somewhat incapable or at least devious as none of what I have downloaded from him in threads has worked straight off and this is the second example of the PM me approach that I have seen. He compiled a wifi driver and mentioned the fact in a thread of mine but had to be pestered to get it.That at least worked and still does in Precise 5.7.1 but I hav'nt seen any other working software yet.

The one in this thread gave me "ZILTCH" folks , not even a menu entry or a command line command so I dunno?

silverblade02

download link

#62 Post by silverblade02 »

It seems that the mediafire download link is broken. Is there any updated link where I can download the file? Thank you.

watchdog

#63 Post by watchdog »

april

#64 Post by april »

Thanks I'll have a look .
Its what else he is attaching to it that interests me . That devious approach indicates something is not right.

Go into the directory you keep this file in , open a terminal there and type and run "pet2tgz CamPhoneTab-1.5.pet" and you will get a tar.gz file (save a copy of the original in some other directory as it will be changed and the md5 file lost) . Click on that and it will show you whats in it. below is a partial screenshot .

So you trust no-one . There can be spyware easily run on your machine in there!
Attachments
Inside a pet file.png
(212.34 KiB) Downloaded 370 times

watchdog

#65 Post by watchdog »

CamPhoneTab pets can be retrieved also from:

https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Forum_Pets

BarryK
Puppy Master

#66 Post by BarryK »

You guys do realise that rcrsn51 has posted these CamPhonetab PETs with compiled binary executables, and no link to any source code. not that i can see anyway.

The source may be from a opne source online project, but has rcrsn51 modified it?

Sometimes he does modify source. PeasyScan I think it was, has a binary of a public open source project but with some mods that he made.
I asked him for the source, and he sent it to me.

A few months ago, sent him a pm asking for the source for his bluetooth PET, but he never replied.
He hasn't posted on this forum since July 31 2016.

I developed my own bluetooth solution for Quirky, but it is not a good situation for Puppy developers who are using his bluetooth PET.

Not a good situation either, for users of CamPhoneTab.

rcrsn51 has made superb contributions to Puppy, over many years, with the "peasy" series, and has been extremely helpful with networking and printing. We owe him a lot of gratitude for that contribution.

So he has just been a bit slack about posting the source, as required for all GPL projects. But then, there are others just as guilty.
Personally, I don't mind, as long as I can search and find the source. But when a developer modifies the source then doesn't post it, they need to be reminded of the obligation.

I am concerned actually. He was contributing regularly up until July 31, then suddenly stopped.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

watchdog

#67 Post by watchdog »

rcrsn51 sent to me a CamPhoneTab 64 bit by private message. Can I share it or it's better to drop this sharing stuff? I'm not a developer, I'm only a puppy lover and I want to avoid the death of rcrsn51's contribute.

rockedge

#68 Post by rockedge »

I have a copy of CamPhoneTab 1.6 that I helped test in July via PM. It works pretty good and connects to iPod, iPad and a Samsung Galaxy Ace running CyanogenMod. Connects with all 3 and I can transfer files and so on and so forth. Also a CamPhoneTab_Hotplug-1.0.pet that detects the devices as I plug them in. I have heard nothing since from rcrsn51. That was in July. But for transferring photos from an iPod Touch 5th Gen or the iPad plus the android phone CamPhoneTab 1.6 (same as v1.5) still works well.
Last edited by rockedge on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

april

#69 Post by april »

If you look up at barrys post above it would be interesting to see what you have . Did you receive the source or a compiled binary?

Pelo

I forgot that Puppy Linux was able to do it

#70 Post by Pelo »

Sorry for no reply.. I forgot that Puppy Linux was able to do it. as the topic at the top again, i browse it. Unfortunately i am searching for my USB cable since yesterday.
This topic should remain at the top of graphics too. So many of us use their phone as a camera.

rockedge

#71 Post by rockedge »

@april,
I was sent binary PET packages. No source.

here is what I have. I am using Tahr 6.0.5 to run them.
CamPhoneTab-1.6.pet
CamPhoneTab_Hotplug-1.0.pet

april

#72 Post by april »

Thank You I'll have a look at those .

My question to you though and maybe pelo or anyone else interested is can you get your contacts and text messages off an android phone with android 5 or better on it ?

gmtp gets all your pictures videos recordings etc off but not those two. As does the pets above
Last edited by april on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

april

#73 Post by april »

watchdog wrote:rcrsn51 sent to me a CamPhoneTab 64 bit by private message. Can I share it or it's better to drop this sharing stuff? I'm not a developer, I'm only a puppy lover and I want to avoid the death of rcrsn51's contribute.
There is the possibility that some accident has befallen him/her. So I would suggest you post a copy here to ensure it is not lost .

april

#74 Post by april »

The above pets contain no source code and do nothing more than is available on gMTP i feel. The pets are binaries and needed libraries to run as far as I can see.

rcrsn51 says as much in the first post.
The hotplug pet is included there too.
Last edited by april on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.

rockedge

#75 Post by rockedge »

I can't get gMTP to connect or even detect my iPod Touch 5th gen. I will check what I can open with it.

update: my Android CyanogenMod works great with gMTP as well.

watchdog

#76 Post by watchdog »

april

#77 Post by april »

This camphone tab pet is dangerous..

Don't use it without knowing exactly what you are doing !

rcrsn51 says in the first post "Look for CamPhoneTab in the Filesystem menu. To avoid conflicts with pupcamera, the CamPhoneTab installer disables it. To restore pupcamera, look in the folder /etc/udev/rules.d/disable. Move the ".rules" file back to its original location. "(back into rules.d folder)
CamPhonetab does not work for me at all . The hotplugging does not work either. So now pupcamera is also disabled ?

Crikey what a mess, but at least he tells you what he's done and how to fix it

EDIT Hes resurfaced with a bit of BS below. Don't take this lightly .You don't need this program.
I've also downloaded and tested elsewhere on this forum some "ko" programs he has referenced for rtl wifi drivers and they cause problems . I think he is a scammer now and is intentionally putting up malware!
Last edited by april on Tue 20 Jun 2017, 21:37, edited 3 times in total.

rcrsn51

#78 Post by rcrsn51 »

CamPhoneTab v1.5.3 is posted above. It has the most up-to-date device database from libmtp.

Contrary to the bullshit comments posted above, this project is safe, stable and well-tested.

See the successful report here. Also read the discussion here about MTP on various devices.

Pelo

With a Puppy OBprecise

#79 Post by Pelo »

With a Puppy OBprecise build by vicmz when Puppies were full featured :
install the pet Camphone, link nokia c2 via usb cale, recognised, pictures are transfered. Easy
Merci messieurs. That is what i like, pets, everything ok.

Packetteer

#80 Post by Packetteer »

Hi Bill
OS Slacko 6.3.0
Phone Samsung Galaxy Note 8
Down loading of file went with no problems.
Installation went flawlessly.
Camphonetab started up with no issues.
Connected to phone just fine.
Was able to transfer files in both directions.

Thank you Bill thanks to your effort I am now able to use my Linux laptop
to connect to my phone instead of my Windows tablet.

Your work is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
John