Slacko5.7-2018A

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
8Geee

openssl 1.0.1s ready

#61 Post by 8Geee »

A reminder that there is now an openssl update to version 1.0.1s from the 'r' version installed. This is related to a security fix needed in 1.0.2f. One of the key reasons for this update is a SSLv.2 attack that uses a high security method, and weakens it to SSLv.2.The hackable server can relay credentials over a low security path. As always, MENU --> Setup --> Uppdates from slacware will do the trick. Download the 'solibs' first, then the openssl update. When finished either a shutdown/restart or reboot is needed. You may remove the /usr/docs/openssl documentation directory if you wish.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Volhout

Upgrade fom 5.7.0

#62 Post by Volhout »

I am using Slacko 5.7.0 (PAE verion kernel 3.10) in a frugal install.
Reason for using 5.7.0 is that the 3.10 kernel runs on my hardware (EEEPC X101CH), not because it is PAE.

This is the original 01Micko version, that features Firefox 17 LTS (not 23).

I would like to upgrade, so my questions are:

1/ What kernel is the 2016 version using ?
2/ Can I re-use my save file ? (can I simply replace the main SFS).?

Regards,

Volhout

8Geee

#63 Post by 8Geee »

The 2016a version (newest) uses 3.4.82 which is i686 4g but is non-PAE.

I've never swapped sfs files, let alone PAE/non-PAE. I'll have to defer to others with experience.

Just curious what hardware doesn't play nice in the non-PAE (2016a) version?

Volhout

3.10.x

#64 Post by Volhout »

Hi 8Geee,

The X101CH core (ATOM N2600) has a video hardware accelerator GMA3600 (intel) that is not supported in linux. The last (buggy) linux driver was released for kernel 3.0 and 3.1 (from archwiki website)

There is no real solution, except that there is a patch for the intel 915 driver and Xorg configuration for software rendering, available in linux kernels since 3.5.

In puppy land the patch was introduced in UPUP 3.8.3.1 (precise), and was available since in some releases (3.9.9 kernel in racy , 3.10 kernel in slacko). Maybe all new kernels have this patch, not sure.

A pup with this patch won't start directly to desktop, but will force to Xorgwizard, and from there it works.

Maybe I am better off in making the 2016 changes in the official 5.7.0
I have found a FF27 in the puppy/slackware14 folder. On the slackware site there may even be a newer one. But that may require more work (dpkg ?)

What other changes have you made ? ssl ? bash ? I can start with a simple one....

[EDIT] found the changes on first post[/EDIT]

I have never done this, but assume it works by extracting packages in the package manager, adding the new packages (PET's) and remastering ?
Could be a nice task for a lazy weekend ?

Thanks

8Geee

#65 Post by 8Geee »

The browser FF27.0.1...

The repo versions are not configured: they are set as default. There is much work to do in about:config. Newer versions of FireFox are bloated, with things like hello and wallet that need a lot of tweaking and additional security measures. As far as I'm concerned, you (or anyone else) are on their own with that new stuff.

However, I have done this work in FF27, and uploaded this. The browser is preconfigured with security leaks and data leaks pluggged to a large extent. There are add-ons installed to help. In essence, this is a modular download, as the dot mozilla file goes entirely, and directly into root. The Firefoxes in slacko puppies are usually divided into usr and root.

Video... yeah, my condolences there. What a mess. 2016 version is 3.4 so outta luck. The new 6.3 has much newer kernal options including 3.10. So maybe help there.

As you saw in 1st post of 2016a, lotsa stuff security-wise is offered/installed.

8Geee

secure site error

#66 Post by 8Geee »

In the "eee-version" thread there is a fix for certain web-sites that don't/won't open properly, or get a warning in FF27.

See Here

This is due to security setting in https sites. Some 'major' sites still don't play nice with privacy.

8Geee

OpenSSL 1.0.1T

#67 Post by 8Geee »

A reminder that Open SSL has updated to the "T" release. The solibs first, then the OpenSSL itself.

There is a bug here... in /lib the file
libssl.so.0.9.8
needs to be deleted
THEN
the libssl.so.1.0.0 file needs a right-click --> link (make sure the relative box is checked)
and named libssl.so.0.9.8

This will make a symlink from 0.9.8 to 1.0.0 files

regards
8Geee

festus

Re: OpenSSL 1.0.1T

#68 Post by festus »

8Geee wrote:A reminder that Open SSL has updated to the "T" release. The solibs first, then the OpenSSL itself.

There is a bug here... in /lib the file
libssl.so.0.9.8
needs to be deleted
THEN
the libssl.so.1.0.0 file needs a right-click --> link (make sure the relative box is checked)
and named libssl.so.0.9.8

This will make a symlink from 0.9.8 to 1.0.0 files

regards
8Geee
I updated to the new "T" release the day it became available.

Do I still need to apply the delete & symlink as explained above?

Thanks, festus

8Geee

#69 Post by 8Geee »

Yes, its a bug in the D/L files. Essentially, the bug reinstalled the lib file that was previously symlinked. Thus we need to symlink again.

8Geee

XML Slackware 14.0 patch

#70 Post by 8Geee »

There are two new patches from slackware 14.0 that need attention. Both have to do with the handling of "XML" file-types used in a secure setting. Geany has a fashion to use may types of XML files, so this becomes relevant.

The two updates are libxml2 2.9.4 (from installed version 2.8.0)
and libxslt 1.1.29 (from installed 1.1.26)

The /usr/doc files can be removed.
Two symlinks are needed (one for each D/L)
byremoving the old verrsion, and linking new to old (use the 'from installed version')

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

wget security fix v.1.18

#71 Post by 8Geee »

Today, June 13, a security fix is applied to wget. The old behavior of http --> ftp security check was changed to htp --> http. This flaw is now corrected to the old behavior.

Anyone using their computer as an ftp server, or who uses ftp programs (such as FireFTP included in this distro) should upgrade wget. This one is easy, no links to fix... just D/L, shutdown, power OFF, and reboot.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

#72 Post by 8Geee »

There is an update to libidn --> version 1.33. The old version is dated 2014.

A symlink patch is needed in /usr/lib
Delete libidn.so.11.6.8
Right-click libidn.so.11.6.16 and make a link (make sure 'reletive' box is checked)
Name this link libidn.so.11.6.8 by editing the "16" to "8", and click OK

The /usr/doc file (600K) for this update may be removed.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

Slacko5.7-2017 is ready

#73 Post by 8Geee »

Slacko5.7-2017A edition by 8Geee. This is a continuation and update to the 2015 and 2016 version.

The first post on page 1 is updated for the D/L link. There are significant changes. Openssl has migrated to version 1.0.2, and is supported until late 2019.

Regards
8Geee
Last edited by 8Geee on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

Volhout

X101CH support

#74 Post by Volhout »

Hi 8Geee,

For the 2016 version I discussed about a 3.10 kernel to support the video in the EEE PC X101CH (Atom N2600).
Apparently this support was also added to the later 3.4 kernels.
I tried your 2017 version with the 3.4.82 kernel, and I can use the modesetting driver to get video (same way as with 3.10, manual Xorgwizard).

I copied my save file over from the 3.10 (Slacko 5.7.0) and almost everything works.

The only things that I had to correct are (maybe you are aware of these).
- I got a lot of desktop icons (my 5.7.0 custom ones, and your 5.7-2 ones) overlaying eachother.
- the "save" icon works different (or not at all). In the 5.7.0 slacko I used, immediate save followed on clicking that button. In the 2017 build it brings up a message that the save us que-ed, but it does not start immediate. Waited a few minutes, but nothing happens....

Thank you for the 2017 version of Slacko 5.7..
I will test a week or so, and it will become my mainstream if stable.

Regards,

Volhout

edit: actually, 20 manutes later still waiting for the save to occur.....
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-08-09.jpg
(52.87 KiB) Downloaded 273 times

8Geee

#75 Post by 8Geee »

The icon spacing is fixable in PuppyPin. The default icon spacing vert. / horizontal was set up for netbooks, so they may be squashed. Usually when I use the save button there is some times a small delayy, but I've never encountered a delay over 30 seconds. Infact I just did an arbitrary save and the pause was 2 seconds.

Hmmmmm... did you adjust settings in Puppy Event Manager? Are you in pupmode=13?

Regards
8Geee

Volhout

save button problem and others

#76 Post by Volhout »

Hi 8Geee,

About the desktop icons. This happens at every Slacko when you customize the desktop (remove icons and put different ones on it.
Only after a new install. You customize, create a save file, reboot.
First time you always get stndard icons and on top your custmized icons.
I have learned to live with that. After removing he non needed it goes well.

About the save button: no I did not do any change to the event manager.
But I used the save file from Slacko 5.7.0. That may have impact ?
Saving at shutdown works well. So I can live with that.

I do miss the eeePC function buttons though. The volume up/down/mute and brightness up/down do not work with this version. Any idea how I can fix that

Regards,

Volhout

edit1: the save icon calls out for a function save2flash. I tried in terminal, and there it does not work either.

edit2: the volume and mute function keys work, but the brightness does not work (F5 dim, F6 brighter) They work in 5.7.0 though. I did not test the wifi on-off key (F2) since in all puppies that only switches off, but never ON again. Screen slection keys (F7 and F8)I dont use since I have only the laptop screen attached.

edit3: I am amazed to tell you that the F2 (WIFI on-off) works correct. Although the status icon does not change, WIfI is actually stopped, and brought back up correct. Have to check way the icon does not change.
Last edited by Volhout on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

Volhout

minicom

#77 Post by Volhout »

Hi 8geee,

now something completely different.I try to cusomize my puppies in such a way that frequently used apps get a desktop icon (see screenshot earlier).
I also frequently use minicom (serial terminal).
I can run that from terminal but I can't start it from a desktop file in usr/share/applications like my other programs.

Any idea why ?

Regards

8Geee

#78 Post by 8Geee »

Using 5.7.0 might indeed be the problem. Different kernal and structure.

8Geee

#79 Post by 8Geee »

I would also recommend a completely new frugal install to a USB stick. Use EXT3 filing system. Then shutdown to a 3fs save. It sounds like you have some form of eeePC. My spins all have the eeeKB and Fxn buttons correct.

Do not migrate your 5.7.0 save-file just yet. By default Slacko5.7-nonPAE will correctly install to an eeePC.

Regards
8Geee

Volhout

save works now

#80 Post by Volhout »

First try, I copied the 2017 files over to the 5.7.0 ssd.

After your suggestion, I installed it from USB stick to the ssd.
That fixed the save problem. Now it saves typically within 2 seconds after I hit the save icon.

Brightness however still does not work. My brightness control (looking at /sys/class/backlight) uses "psb-bl". Maybe the .ko for that hardware is missing from the 3.4.82 kerne build.
I had the brightness at high levels anyway, so having it at max constantly is only consuming slightly more battery. Not a show stopper.

I use the 5.7.0 save file as is. Did not convert.

I am happy with it now.

Thanks 8Geee