Slacko5.7-2018A

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nubc

#31 Post by nubc »

The extension is actually .jsonlz4 and the only way it even appears is to select all files.

I did manage to populate the Desktop with commonly used icons. First I substituted PuppyPin from Slacko630. Then I copied preferred links to Root.
Then I restored Slacko5.7-2016 PuppyPin. Dragged links to Desktop, and from there set the icon. Most icons worked, except for Help.

Darn, I should have put the original links in Desktop folder in Root. Where are the original links sposed to go?
Last edited by nubc on Fri 19 Feb 2016, 14:53, edited 3 times in total.

Semme

#32 Post by Semme »

Odd. Have you tried importing it after a rename?

Which FF version's on 6.3? Forward compatible's frequently a nogo..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

nubc

#33 Post by nubc »

After renaming, error message: Unable to process the backup file.

Semme

#34 Post by Semme »

I see now, it's a *compressed* backup. Rt-clk and tell me the file type properties reports..

Hang loose, I can test myself..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

nubc

#35 Post by nubc »

I'm about to reach a stopping point, and time to save as frugal install. Well, as I recall, you can't just save to any partition, because the frugal install savefile renders the partition of the save inaccessible [unmountable?], something like that, cripples the partition that it's installed to. I remember this being a problem, and getting very exasperated with frugal installs. I'm only testing this version, anyway. I guess I'll put it in the obvious place, root of sda1, which is a 20-gb partition dedicated to the operating system, and thus is limited in size.

Just tried a YouTube video, immediately got a warning that my browser was out of date. The video loaded in buffer first without playing, then I clicked Play arrow, and it did play okay.
Last edited by nubc on Fri 19 Feb 2016, 14:54, edited 2 times in total.

Semme

#36 Post by Semme »

Question.. Did you backup those bkmrks from 6.3 or copy it out of the profile folder there?

My backup results in an *uncompressed* json that 27.0.1 CAN restore.

nubc

#37 Post by nubc »

I copied it from Slacko6.3 full install. You say, or copy it out of the profile folder there. To what do you refer when you say, there. What profile folder?
Last edited by nubc on Fri 19 Feb 2016, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#38 Post by Semme »

Mozilla's profile folder on 6.3.

Semme

#39 Post by Semme »

No.
You can't just save to any partition, because the frugal install file renders the partition of the save inaccessible [unmountable?], something like that, cripples the partition that it's installed to.
I've been able to create a save file on ANY compatible partiton so long as they've had the room.

Other than lack of experience with the before mentioned, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Semme

#40 Post by Semme »

nubc

#41 Post by nubc »

No such folder in /root/.mozilla

As I recall, I placed a frugal savefile in a larger partition, sda2, and afterwards, I couldn't mount that partition, running from the full install on sda1. [Meltdown, delete, delete, resolved: never do frugal install again]
Last edited by nubc on Fri 19 Feb 2016, 14:50, edited 2 times in total.

Semme

#42 Post by Semme »

Nonsense! It goes by *.default.

nubc

#43 Post by nubc »

Yes, there is *.default, but the bookmarkbackups file is extension jsonlz4. I have an older backup in html somewhere, just have to find it.

Semme

#44 Post by Semme »

No, not the file you want. You've gotta "back-it-up" to get the uncompressed copy.

nubc

#45 Post by nubc »

Are you suggesting that I run Slacko630, do an intentional backup of some sort? (I tell ya, I gotta do something about that right-click context menu, it is huge. Something is not right there.) How exactly do I back it up?
Last edited by nubc on Fri 19 Feb 2016, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#46 Post by Semme »

An intentional bkmrks backup, correct.

nubc

#47 Post by nubc »

Did a backup to a .json file. Next time I boot to Slacko5.7-2016 I'll grab the bookmarks. I would also like to grab some wallpapers from Slacko630. Location of wallpapers?

Semme

#48 Post by Semme »

:idea: >> /usr/share/backgrounds.

nubc

#49 Post by nubc »

Thanks for your assistance, Semme. Would have taken forever without you.

Semme

#50 Post by Semme »

You're welcome Nubc. 5.7 my system can run, sort've.. 6.3's outta the question.