Slacko5.7-2018A

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tommy

#151 Post by tommy »

Hi, I'm using this puplet with my old Hp Pavilion and it works great!

I noticed that it has an auto shutdown feature, if I leave the PC alone for a short period of time, maybe 20 - 30 minutes, then come back I find it shutted down. Even if I'm watching a film, and I use the keyboard to pause and resume it, but no mouse movement is done, after 20 to 30 minutes the 'first shutdown message' appears top layer, over the mplayer window. I have to close the shutdown window to stop it.

Is it possible to disable this feature, or to change the default shutdown timing to a longer interval?

I thought the /usr/local/pup_event/pup_event_frontend_d process was involved, but I killed it and the auto shutdown feature is still present.

Thank you in advance for ideas...

tommy

#152 Post by tommy »

Nevermind, I found the auto shutdown timing in :

menu -> System -> Puppy event manager -> Power tab :oops:

8Geee

#153 Post by 8Geee »

Recently, I had a chance to review some of the Firefox problems recently encountered. Two problems stand out, and are sometimes used together.

The first is 'workers' that fetch data among other things. These have historically been a nuisance, but with the recent Meltdown/Spectre problems, their usefullness has ended on these older builds like FF27.

The second is 'indexed DB (database)', Again, its been a nuisance that is now in need of an off button.

So, about:config needs a few changes.

Disconnect from internet and open FF27.
In the address bar type about:config and be careful.
In the search bar type worker
Four entries will appear in FF27,
'FALSE' three of them, and change the numeric entry to 1.

OK, in the search bar type index
There will be numerous entries, but two of them are important right now...

dom.indexedDB.enabled
dom.indexedDB.experimental

Both of these two must be set to false (experimental 'should be' false by default)

Now that these are done, close the browser, wait 5-10 seconds and Goto MENU --> Shutdown --> Restart Graphical Server and click. (This step prevents a hang on normal re-starts of the browser).

Other things related to Meltdown/Spectre usually involve autocomplete, or autofill (because they involve caching predicted data). I have already (for a long time) mitigated these in about:config. Consider resetting them to false if you have enabled these 'conveniences'.

At this point, reconnect to internet as usual.

Regards
8Geee
Last edited by 8Geee on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

8Geee

CURL update 7.58

#154 Post by 8Geee »

Curl and Slackware have posted an update for curl -->7.58

Users of curl may wish to read this announcement for a better understanding of the redirection ploy.

The patch is located at slackware.com or in MENU --> Setup --> Slackware Updates

There are no symlinks needed, and usr/DOCS/curl can be removed if not needed. Also, /root/.packages should have the new 7.58 version moved to builtin files with the older file removed.

Regards
8Geee

Sailor Enceladus

#155 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Thanks 8Geee. Nice to see slackware giving 14.0 more attention again lately. Maybe they found us :)

8Geee

#156 Post by 8Geee »

14.0 will have to be supported if for no other reason than Meltdown/Spectre. Right after the mozilla updates posted here, they also did a Thunderbird update (usually browser/T-Bird/ curl follow quickly). If I'm thinking correctly X11 will also get a major update (this is just my guess).

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

curl 7.59 and rsync

#157 Post by 8Geee »

Just found the update for curl --> 7.59
Control Character can write out of bounds.

Also rsync --> 3.13 has been updated to fix security issues. Users of Samba should take special note of this. General Puppy Slacko5.7 users take note that this has NOT been updated since inception.

These are available at Slackware --> Security advisories --> 2018. The usual save the .package file to built-in, and remove the doc file (users of curl may wish to save, ditto for Samba)

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

vorbis update

#158 Post by 8Geee »

Found this today...

Security patch for vorbis and related.
vorbis has not been updated since inception.

Users of audio software/codecs might want to keep doc files... none provided in original slacko5.7, otherwise toss. The root.packages file should be moved to built-in.

Three Symlinks are needed on this update in usr/lib. Look for duplicate file names, A relative link from old to new needs to be made after removing old file.

After all this is done, shutdown/restart.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

wget 1.19.4 WARNING

#159 Post by 8Geee »

I have found that the wget 1.19.4 update borqs connections with Puppy Package Manager and the slackware update mechanisms in Puppy Slacko5.7 and the EOnS spins.

DO NOT UPDATE wget past 1.19.2

The 1.19.4 is a rebuild, and theres the rub, its not really a security update.

The personal version I have of Slacko5.7-2018A is the honey-pot for such things, and I have a redo to perform.

I am also getting an Oh Dear warning (wget 1.19.2) using the Update from Slacko app, (can't read the file size, so aborting the D/L).

That is fixed by using the link (Slackware openssl) in the default Bookmarks, clicking on such update, then highlight Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V into a new window. Answer YES to install as a Puppy Package. Remember its Slackware 14.0 for all things except Openssl which is 14.2, and BASH that is 13.37.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

#160 Post by 8Geee »

An update here that the 2018A versions of Slacko and EONS use wget 1.18. They will not be updated in the next release.

Halfway way through the redo of both, just a remaster, burn and load.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

Openssl 1.0.2o

#161 Post by 8Geee »

Uncle Slacky has just released a minor security update to Openssl. Though the vunerabilities target 'mainly' RISC ops, the update is provided. For this one go to Slackware and D/L the 14.2 i586 solibs first, then D/L the main. DOCS may removed, and the two root/.packages files should be moved to built-in.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

libidn update

#162 Post by 8Geee »

Slackware has published an update to libidn -->1.34
One symlink needs to be made in usr/lib
remove libidn.so.11.6.16 and make a link back to it from the new version libidn.so.11.6.18

DOCS may be tossed, and the new .package text file moved into /root/.packages/built_in with removal of the 1.33 version.

Note: if you get an error that the file is ISO8859-1, go to Slackware security advisories 2018 and D/L there.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

Slacko5.7.1 with kernel 3.18.104

#163 Post by 8Geee »

Recently I tried out the new slacko5.7.1 by Sailor, and it works very well without bugs (yet discovered). It duplicates the functions here, and in 01micko's original very nicely.

For those people with older machines that are currently using either 01micko's original or my updated versions, this new update should be strongly considered. The kernel is 3.18.104 (as of Apr. 13, 2018) with patching-on-the-fly for the Meltdown/Spectre defects that are prevalent in today's computers. This patching is NOT available in the 3.4.x series of kernels.

So if you have concerns about Meltdown/Spectre, Sailor Enceladus' Slacko5.7.1 will be the best choice. IMHO, I will soon cease updating this main slacko5.7 in favor of his version. Its sorely needed and keeps up the ease of use/it just works standards 01micko put into this distro.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

The End of the Beginning

#164 Post by 8Geee »

This version of 01micko's Slacko Puppy5.7-i686_4G_nonPAE is migrating to a supported kernel as offered by Sailor Enceladus here.

I will no longer support/maintain this version as the kernel is vunerable to Meltdown/Spectre. Sailor's new woof-CE version uses a supported kernel (3.18.106 at last check) that has on-going patches/updates/fixes for Meltdown/Spectre.

This decision is in the best interest of the 99% affected.

Regards and thanks again to Sailor

8Geee