Slacko5.7-2018A

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
8Geee

Slacko5.7-2018A

#1 Post by 8Geee »

Slacko5.7-2018A edition by 8Geee has been discontinued. For further support, including Meltdown/Spectre concerns please see Sailor Enceladus version of Slacko5.7 non-PAE. It has a supported kernel 3.18.106 at last check. His spin uses woof-CE, and functions reasonably well.

It is important to get the openssl 1.0.2k updates from slackware(dot)com --> Security Advisories --> 2017. Thanks to HoerMirAuf for the puppy package to make the openssl migration to v. 1.0.2g possible. The link to that pet is here.

This upgrade to OpenSSL can be used with the new version, so I'll keep it in this post. But one has to go to SLackware to D/L the latest update (1.0.2o).

Thanks to Sailor, and 01micko for all the good works.

Regards
8Geee
Last edited by 8Geee on Wed 02 May 2018, 15:44, edited 13 times in total.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

8Geee

#2 Post by 8Geee »

A question raised on the 'eee' version thread seems relevant here. There is Pup Advert Blocker in Slacko 5.7-2016, as well as pBurn. Both are in the MENU --> System --> Menu Manager. Look in the disabled list. BurnISO2cd is on desktop for handy remastering once you get the pup setup the way you want it.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

Openssl 1.0.1r

#3 Post by 8Geee »

A reminder that there is now an openssl update to version 1.0.1r from the 'q' version installed. This is related to a security fix needed in 1.0.2f. As always, MENU --> Setup --> Uppdates from slacware will do the trick. Both the 'solibs' and the actual version is downloaded. When done perform a reboot or shutdown/restart.

Regards
8Geee

Pelo

8Geee provides good slacko,

#4 Post by Pelo »

8Geee provides good slacko, and is a friendly Puppy Builder ! newbies, choose 8Geee production !
Attachments
couleurs.jpg
mini version, but with Avidemux 2.5.5
(71.35 KiB) Downloaded 3240 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 03:57, edited 5 times in total.

darry1966

Re: Openssl 1.0.1r

#5 Post by darry1966 »

8Geee wrote:A reminder that there is now an openssl update to version 1.0.1r from the 'q' version installed. This is related to a security fix needed in 1.0.2f. As always, MENU --> Setup --> Uppdates from slacware will do the trick. Both the 'solibs' and the actual version is downloaded. When done perform a reboot or shutdown/restart.

Regards
8Geee
A good choice FF27 works better than the current FF/Iceweasel 44. 8Geee this is a very nice well thought out Puppy and not overloaded so should keep Pelo happy. Tested on a Dell D620 and it booted straight to video and got wireless working. Nice.

8Geee

#6 Post by 8Geee »

Thanks muchly

One of the things one can do is trim the 'modules' folder IF and ONLY IF the modem is detected as a 'ko' file. The un-needed video drivers can also take a hike to the recycle bin, making the pup even smaller. This can cause asubstantial iso-size reeduction. For example the 'eee-version' as posted here is 143.4Mb with only the unnecessary video drivers removed (i915 is used) from this distro. Since the modem-ware is supplied in the kernel (ath5k) tossing the modem modules brings the iso down to about 130Mb.

oops, forgot another thing. For my personal use, I've decided to toss Frisbee in favor of DougAl's Network Wizard, so just SNS and NW are installed.

Happy tweaking
8Geee

darry1966

#7 Post by darry1966 »

Still working well and much more stable than later 6.3.0 :)

Billtoo

Slacko5.7-2016 Full Distro

#8 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to a 16gb flash drive.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Tue 16 Feb 2016 on Slacko Puppy 5.7 Linux 3.4.82 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5500 Series]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: REDWOOD 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: fglrx
X.Org version: 1.12.4
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: ATI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 5570
OpenGL version string: 4.3.12618 Compatibility Profile Context 13.251

The video upgrade wizard downloaded and installed the proprietary
driver for my graphics card.

I installed some applications with the package manager.

Works well.

Thanks
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(88.48 KiB) Downloaded 7818 times

8Geee

#9 Post by 8Geee »

Thanks, nice screeny, there's some similar in /root/my-applications/MyFiles.

Cheers
8Geee

nubc

#10 Post by nubc »

No desktop icons, no wallpaper, no Show Desktop toggle, no multiple desktops (usually 4), no calculator, empty Fun (menu tree), What else is missing? I don't get it, what's the mission here?
Last edited by nubc on Wed 17 Feb 2016, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

8Geee

#11 Post by 8Geee »

Some things I have deferred to the user, games, JWM config, etc. Some things are installed that you don't see like newer hplip and foozjs. The browser is tweaked in about config to keep the bad guys at bay a little (nothing's perfect tho).

Some folks need a good first experience with puppy. When the user has finished setting up puppy the way they want, remastering 'their own' pup is next. iso2CD on desktop in favor of pup-burn. Pup mode 13 by default with new default settings; never save, and shutdown after 30 minutes with no mouse activity WITH save.

This is primarily an afterthought to the "eee" version, that needs some fluff removed, and more practical things installed. Calculators and organizers are a dime-a-dozen, choose what you like. As I've written elsewhere, I advocate a small footprint both iso and installed. EeePC's are 32-bit and rather lacking, but were very popular. While Youtube is a bit beyond the 700 series, the Atom's can handle it ok. My personal versions are quite small primarily due to the kernal sourcing most drivers. The small one has an iso 37Mb LESS than the full distro, and removes shares and servers, and un-needed modem and video drivers. To that I can add a video editor and/or an Office. The 'big' office version is 170Mb iso, just 3Mb larger than this.

IMHO, this is what puppy intends to be; small, lightweight, useful. /MHO

nubc

#12 Post by nubc »

Is this an update to standard Slacko 5.7? Because if it isn't, I would just as soon let someone else do the config. What is the Firefox version in the last standard Slacko 5.7 issue? Doesn't Flashplayer complain in that last version?

8Geee

#13 Post by 8Geee »

IIRC the original 5.7 came with an unconfigured FF23. That FireFox cannot handle TLS security (SSL2 and 3 only). This version has FF27 that does handle TLS 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2. And there are some rather large security holes (data leaks) closed.

Billtoo

Slacko5.7-2016 Full Distro

#14 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Seamonkey 2.38 yesterday with the updates manager, today a popup
said that 2.39 was available so I downloaded and unpacked that, then
copied the files to the /usr/lib/seamonkey-2.38 directory.
Seamonkey is working great for youtube etc.

Also added Smplayer and Smtube today.

I like this pup :)

Thanks
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(79.14 KiB) Downloaded 7667 times

darry1966

#15 Post by darry1966 »

nubc wrote:Is this an update to standard Slacko 5.7? Because if it isn't, I would just as soon let someone else do the config. What is the Firefox version in the last standard Slacko 5.7 issue? Doesn't Flashplayer complain in that last version?
It is clearly stated in the first post what the updates are. There are icons on the desktop and as for changing wallpapers type wallpaper - there are heaps of wallpapers.

mikeslr

Thanks 8Geee

#16 Post by mikeslr »

Hi 8Geee,

Thanks for revitalizing Slacko 5.7.

Not to detract in anyway from 01micko's efforts to continue Pups compatibility with Slackware as it evolves, and to push the boundaries of jwm & rox; a good thing.

But Slacko 5.7 was a solid work-horse under which many applications ran well; capable of handling the most current web-browsers and document processors. Not everyone has the skill and time to keep it up to date.

I appreciate your undertaking. There's something nice about just being able to operate an system that you already know.

mikesLr

nubc

#17 Post by nubc »

Some observations and self-appointed tasks:
1 Wow, can you believe how many commands are on the right-click context menu! Wutsup with that?
2 The clock is 24 hour, would prefer 12 hour. Any way to change it?
3 I like the Home icon. I'll need to get that file that contains the desktop icons [PuppyPin?] from my full install. I don't make use of icons that much, however, only a select few icons are present on Desktop. Almost all standard Puppy icons are missing. Is this intentional?
4 Sure we got wallpapers, but since there is no gui for installing wallpaper, I need to know how to do that
5 Show Desktop toggle button I can do, but the command is not commented out in .jwmrc-tray. The exact location of the command (after Menu icon) is important to get the correct placement for the button.

Code: Select all

<Tray  autohide="false" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" border="1" height="28" >
		<!-- Additional TrayButton attribute: label -->
		<TrayButton label="Menu" icon="puppy.svg" border="true">root:3</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="Show desktop" icon="showdesk16.xpm">showdesktop</TrayButton>
		<Pager/>
		<!-- Additional TaskList attribute: maxwidth -->
		<TaskList maxwidth="200"/>
alternatively

Code: Select all

<TrayButton popup="Show Desktop" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/x48.png" border="true">showdesktop</TrayButton>
6 During first time set up, I set the resolution from initial 1280x1024 to 1024x768 @ 70.1, but it came out 800x600. I'm using a 21-inch monitor, maybe I'm mistaken.
7 There's a down arrow in FF's address field for easy navigation. Although I set FF preferences to remember history, nothing is showing in history by clicking this down arrow. Please explain security settings that prevent this. Why would you need security this tight?
8 I made the mistake of installing the first calculator I encountered in PPM, namely KCalc (KDE calculator) and waited for 10 minutes while the QT library was installed. probably half the size of Puppy. Should have installed mate-calc 1.4.0 from slackware-14.0-slacky repo
Last edited by nubc on Sat 20 Feb 2016, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

8Geee

#18 Post by 8Geee »

1.) I've noticed that on certain webpages, not all. Its a FF thing. I believe its because the webpage is an image, and not scripted text. I'm usually cautious around image as webpage, malformed images are a nice hack into one's 'puter.

2.) Menu --> Desktop -->JWM Window Mgr --> Clock

3.) It should be Blank, by mistake a long time ago, I inadvertantly left a /mnt/home file as "Home".

4.)You don't need one. Navigate to your favorite wallpaper, then RIGHT-click any drive at bottom and select 'backdrop...'. Drag your wallpaper to the the GUIbox and release the mouse button.

6.) XORGWIZARD does what? You may need to let it find its own rez given the installed driver... what video are you using?

7.) Large data leak. Your history tells advertisers where you have been and what your marketing preferences are. But advertisers are not the only ones that can read this, the bad guys read it too. This is part of the FF preconfiguration. One can still use ALT <-- and ALT --> to navigate a few pages... Its just that the info is not stored. I would disable history at the drop of my security hat. Not tin-foil stuff either.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5.) I have no idea what show desktop is supposed to do. Didn't realize there is a problem.

8.) I thought puppy calculators 'were everywhere'. I know there was a thread about them, because a while ago I asked if there were any 16-digit scientific types. Basically all there are is 4-bangers with variable 8-16 digit accuracy.

Regards
8Geee
Last edited by 8Geee on Fri 19 Feb 2016, 03:39, edited 1 time in total.

darry1966

#19 Post by darry1966 »

Again number 4 type in the terminal this will bring up the puppy wallpaper selector gui you desire.

darry1966

#20 Post by darry1966 »

@8GEE and NUBC if you type xcalc in terminal it comes up so it is there.:)