3g modem connections problems

Please post any bugs you have found
witekjeden

3g modem connections problems

#1 Post by witekjeden »

Hi.

There is still a big problem with use modems 3g/4g connections in new Puppies. First the PGPRS application was removed from system, including Pupdial. PGPRS is good and fast program but Pupdial is slow, too complicated and not good. But in new Slacko6 and Lxpuptahr15 there is not possible connect Pupdial at all. Pupdial suggest connection but there is not transfer look at this picture:

http://pl.tinypic.com/r/wki9ld/9

I use Puppy from 2009 and never any problems with connections 3g modems. Puppy4.xx not problems, Puppy5.xx not any problems too. But now i can not to connect at all. Why was remowed a good program PGPRS from systems i don't know. If anybody want to use Pupdial? Ok but stay PGPRS in system too.

Sorry for my english crashes.

LazY Puppy

#2 Post by LazY Puppy »

There is still a big problem with use modems 3g/4g connections in new Puppies. First the PGPRS application was removed from system, including Pupdial. PGPRS is good and fast program but Pupdial is slow, too complicated and not good. But in new Slacko6 and Lxpuptahr15 there is not possible connect Pupdial at all.
Yes, I got this problem as well.

The developers of Woof CE and/or the new Puppy Versions had decided to remove the pgprs stuff to prefer the use of frisbee - though, frisbees's gprs connect just does NOT work.

For a couple of weeks now I'm testing modifications and rewrites of scripts to connect to the web by gprs. Each of he mods is still working (can connect to the web and visit pages) but the rewrites won't work - either it doesn't connect to the web or it connects but I can't visit pages (Error: Page not found).

I got a pgprs package to install (from Slacko 5.7 thanks to SFR) which works very well in all the new Puppy Versions but for the 64bit (like tahr) there is also a firmware driver SFS (fdrv_4.1.11_tahr64_2.sfs) since they also moved the related gprs modem drivers from Puppy into the fdrv_4.1.11_tahr64_2.sfs.

Don't know about a firmware driver sfs for Slacko (maybe asking in the Slacko 6 topics for it?) but the pgprs package is attached. On my machines ususally the gprs modem is recognized as /dev/ttyUSB0.

Edit: package again removed.
Last edited by LazY Puppy on Sat 26 Dec 2015, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

witekjeden

#3 Post by witekjeden »

Yes, this problem began few month ago on the new Puppies 6.xx series. I was created my pgprs pet too extracting from Quirky:

https://yadi.sk/d/FzhveypDfMJRr

This pet helps me network connect on new Quirky and works very good. On Tahrpup works ok too but evry serwice pack i must remove them and install one more again.

But on the new Slacko and Lxtharpup not working. Now i should try to use Your pet.

Edit1:
Lxpuptahr 15.12
After instalation Your pgprs.pet not working. The same problem: suggest connection but not working.

http://pl.tinypic.com/r/w0hyjq/9

So i think it is not application problem. If Pupdial not working, my pgprs and Your pgprs not working that is system problem. Maby Wvdial, maby usb-modeswitch, maby any of depends.

LazY Puppy

#4 Post by LazY Puppy »

So you probably need some similar firmware driver SFS like the fdrv_4.1.11_tahr64_2.sfs but for Slacko?

Go ask for it in the Slacko Topics.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

rameshiyer

3G Modem

#5 Post by rameshiyer »

If you are using Huawei Modem, you can make use of Mobile Partner for linux which can be downloaded from website. I have been using the mobile partner for the past several years in puppy/quirky etc. (32 bit ). You can check balance (USSD) etc. without problems. SMS also possible.

witekjeden

#6 Post by witekjeden »

LazY Puppy wrote:So you probably need some similar firmware driver SFS like the fdrv_4.1.11_tahr64_2.sfs but for Slacko?

Go ask for it in the Slacko Topics.
There is the 'fdrv' sfs in the Slacko64 repo but after installation nothing better. The network still not working for me.
Slacko 64bit (Slackware based) and LxPupThar 32bit (Ubuntu based) has the same problem. So Puppies 6 series are not for me, i stay on Racy5.5.

@rameshiyer
Thanks. I don't knew about Mobile Partner for Linux. Now it works for me on Racy, sms's from provider are visible. Many years ago was the Umtsnom application for advantage personalize 3g connections on Linux but abandonned.
Edit: one problem in Mobile Partner there is not polish language in menu, english and chinese only. Can not to find polish langpack.
Last edited by witekjeden on Sun 27 Dec 2015, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.

vicmz

#7 Post by vicmz »

I was able to connect using only pupdial (no pgprs) in a recent woof-ce master build, but I haven't tested yet on some latest version of puppy. Maybe you should check that your provider hasn't changed any configuration, for example a different APN.

Just in case anyone is looking for info about how to connect to the internet by mobile phone or 3g USB modem:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 421#747421
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-09-29_18.51.11.png
(61.54 KiB) Downloaded 742 times

LazY Puppy

#8 Post by LazY Puppy »

There is the 'fdrv' sfs in the Slacko64 repo but after installation nothing better. The network still not working for me.
Slacko 64bit (Slackware based) and LxPupThar 32bit (Ubuntu based) has the same problem. So Puppies 6 series are not for me, i stay on Racy5.5.
How did you install this fdrv sfs?

After X desktop is running (loaded with sfs_load)?

If so you will need to execute these two lines of code into a terminal:

Code: Select all

udevadm trigger --action=add --subsystem-match="pcmcia*" --subsystem-match="usb*"

Code: Select all

udevadm settle
You can also try boot option pfix=fw_drv (probably your Slacko is able to load this fdrv sfs at boot up?).
RSH

witekjeden

#9 Post by witekjeden »

@vicmz
If it was my bug how can i wrote this posts? In Racy and other Puppies 5.xx not any problems.

@LazY Puppy
Slacko installation Unetbootin on pendrive, next create pupsave 512mb, next copy on pendrive fdrv sfs, next load and install them, next restart system.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... ko64_2.sfs

Ok, in my opinion there is any bug in the new builds system 32 and 64 bit. Slacko6.3.0(64bit) and LxPupThar15.11 do not connecions internet modems 3g. And it is not application problem, not settings problem, not users problem, there is the systems problem.

AshwaniGaur

#10 Post by AshwaniGaur »

i am also facing same problem, My 3G-USB Modem not detected in latest puppy

TyroBGinner

#11 Post by TyroBGinner »

My 3G modem is having troubles also. I can use it in pups back to Slacko 5.6, but older versions can't even detect it.

Pups like FatDog 7.x, Tahrpup, and Slacko 5.6+/6.x work well with the modem and automated front ends like PupDial, etc., but older pups like the lucid 5.2.8.x and Akita, etc. do not even detect the modem.

Can anyone explain how to use this modem....actually it is a Huawei cell phone model U3900. The newer OSes perform automatic detection and association with a /dev/ttyUSBx device node, automatic driver loading, and then PupDial runs great..it is just click and play.

How does the OS know to load the drivers? They are, according to lsmod: option, usbserial, and usb_wwan. Can I put these in an older pup and use the modem then?

Can anyone explain also the modeswitching feature? I would like to switch back to mass storage sometimes, actually. The newer pups work well with runnin the device as a modem, but maybe the phone 'presents' itself to the OS as a modem to begin with.

And what is the use of the usbserial module? Do I need to load it and run a command for that as well?

This is all rather hard to sort out.

Thanks...