Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW STUFF!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile       

The time now is Mon 10 Aug 2020, 02:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Slacko5.7-eee2017 and mini-eee
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 2 of 4 [50 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
mini-jaguar

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb 2016, 04:03    Post subject:  

The wallpaper setter has not been removed, I just found it. You have to type in "wallpaper" in the console and it comes up. It automatically accesses the ones in root and not the ones in usr/share/backgrounds (which aren't as good as the ones in root in my opinion).

I do not know what you mean by drag and drop to set the wallpaper.

As for a video recorder, there is indeed pavrecord in there, but again it has been removed by the menu.

I have the original battery in mine, holds maybe half an hour. But the point I was making was that with that .pet I can go into power saving mode so I don't use up battery power as fast, and also so it doesn't get as hot.
8Geee

PostPosted: Wed 10 Feb 2016, 13:21    Post subject:  

The drag n drop... When you right-click on any drive icon and select 'backdrop' a GUI-box opens. In that box is an area where you can drag a picture. When releasing the mouse-button, new wallpaper. IIRC it's default setting is tile, I think stretch should be set not knowing the size of the image.

I have an 88Watt (77 really) super-sized aftermarket batt in the 900a. My original 44Watt gave up 1/2 power, so its in reserve.

Regards
8Geee

Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."
8Geee

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb 2016, 14:02    Post subject: Recent updates  

I've been doing some updates via Slackware recently. As you may know from the first post, gnutls, nettle, and libpng were upgraded upon initial release. Since then openssl1.0.1q to r has been announced here. Now curl has been updated, and the old version installed by 01Micko in the original slacko5.7 release is far out-of-date. Curl is now at version 7.4.7 and I took the chance to D/L and install. As with some other updates, there are symlinks that need to be made between old and new files within the update. So far these are limited, but are important to do because of possibly calling the old, less-secure version at all. In the next few days, this eee version will get the update to eee2.

The eee2 version will include openssl 1.0.1r, libsnd 1.0.26, flac 1.3.1, and curl 7.4.7.
Shortly after that the base respin s57-2016 will be updated as 'a'. An md5sum and sha1sum will be provided.

Now for the bad news... since slacko5.7 went live back in March '14 (two years already?) PHP has moved from 5.4.14.1 to 5.6.x. There are warnings about upgrade due to rewriting of the code that makes some things incompatible. One has to go from 5.4.x to 5.5.x to 5.6.x. This is a large migration, and is complex. I can't do that kind of upgrading. In the meantime upgrading these other things help to insure that the latest database of certs, calls, and SSL/TLS habits are at a high security level. As you know more and more of the web is going 'https'.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

PostPosted: Thu 25 Feb 2016, 14:02    Post subject: Version eee2  

s57-2016eee2 is now ready, and uploaded.
Please see first post on page 1.
This is a rather sweeping security update.
I delayed one day to get libgcrypt 1.5.5 installed and patched (symlink).

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar 2016, 21:37    Post subject: openssl 1.0.1s update  

A reminder that there is now an openssl update to version 1.0.1s from the 'r' version installed. This is related to a security fix needed in 1.0.2f. One of the key reasons for this update is a SSLv.2 attack that uses a high security method, and weakens it to SSLv.2.The hackable server can relay credentials over a low security path. As always, MENU --> Setup --> Uppdates from slacware will do the trick. Download the 'solibs' first, then the openssl update. When finished either a shutdown/restart or reboot is needed. You may remove the /usr/docs/openssl documentation directory if you wish.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr 2016, 13:34    Post subject: mini-eee  

Recently, I have taken to trimming stuff out of the 'eee' version. A lot of the 'so' files for things like the modem and the wifi are gone. Symlink patches are completed (until the next security update). What was left was a 125Mb iso. To give some functionality on the web, I downloaded/installed avidemeux2.5.5-s5, and added a tiny YT --> mp4 converter to FF27, and added a link to Bookmarks that does YT --> mp3.

I've been testing the mini-eee for about 2 weeks. Seems like all is well. Avidemeux can edit fluff fom the videos, and the audio conversions though louder than at YT, do well.

By 10-April, I'll upload this and post in this thread. One shoulld note there are NO SERVER PROGRAMS in this mini-eee. That includes mail-server. So this is not for all eee-users. But if you like to surf, and do O/L bank/buying, this version is adequate. YT fun included.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2016, 13:20    Post subject: slacko5.7mini-eee2 is ready  

***EDIT*** Aug. 4, 2016 and Feb. 1, 2017

There is now available the mini-eee2 version. This has HoerMirAuf's Puppy Package to upgrade from openssl 1.0.1 to 1.0.2 Please see this topic there are manual instructions to update openssl once 1.0.2 is installed. Please note, that right now the update from 102g --> 102h is already done, and the referenced link may not show. It is a guide for future updates. One may wish to bookmark that D/L link page for quick check-ins.

Fortune does favor the foolish sometimes and I got the miniE-2017 "corrected" iso uploaded. <---Edited 2/8/2017: new sums below.

size= 141684736 bytes (135.121Mb) +0.12Mb
sha1sum= 08289563086d6d2fba7c51b3627602cc105dd5a0
md5sum= 8e79418bdd8155abacc08446ea43664d

Regards
8Geee

Last edited by 8Geee on Tue 14 Feb 2017, 21:25; edited 6 times in total
8Geee

PostPosted: Sun 24 Apr 2016, 22:24    Post subject: MINI-EEE security tweak
Subject description: for pages that don't load

There is a security 'feature' in the mini-eee that is not present in all other versions.

*** NOTE *** this bug is fixed in the eee2 version

It seems that I opted for 'forward secrecy' types of secure-page handling. While generally there is no problem with this, a few major sites like cox, tracfone, ebay, etc throw a hissy fit. Rather than fight for change, two double-clicks will solve the problem in about_config.

1.) Disconnect from the internet
2.) Open the Firefox 27 browser
3.) In the address bar type about:config, and click OK
4.) In the search bar type ssl
5.) Scroll down near the bottom and double-click these two in order to change from 'false' to 'true'.

security.ssl3.rsa_aes_128_sha
security.ssl3.rsa_aes_256_sha

6.) When done, close the browser, wait 10-20 seconds and reopen to confirm, then close again.
7.) Reconnect to the internet as needed

Regards
8Geee

Last edited by 8Geee on Mon 08 Aug 2016, 21:18; edited 1 time in total
8Geee

PostPosted: Mon 16 May 2016, 14:36    Post subject: OpenSSL 1.0.1T  

A reminder that Open SSL has updated to the "T" release. The solibs first, then the OpenSSL itself.

*** NOTE *** the bug below is fixed in the eee2 version

There is a bug here... in /lib the file
libssl.so.0.9.8
needs to be deleted
THEN
the libssl.so.1.0.0 file needs a right-click --> link (make sure the relative box is checked)
and named libssl.so.0.9.8

This will make a symlink from 0.9.8 to 1.0.0 files

regards
8Geee

Last edited by 8Geee on Mon 08 Aug 2016, 21:19; edited 1 time in total
8Geee

PostPosted: Sun 29 May 2016, 23:23    Post subject: XML slackware 14.0 patch  

There are two new patches from slackware 14.0 that need attention. Both have to do with the handling of "XML" file-types used in a secure setting. Geany has a fashion to use may types of XML files, so this becomes relevant.

The two updates are libxml2 2.9.4 (from installed version 2.8.0)
and libxslt 1.1.29 (from installed 1.1.26)

The /usr/doc files can be removed.
Two symlinks are needed (one for each D/L)
byremoving the old verrsion, and linking new to old (use the 'from installed version')

Both the eee and mini-eee should apply this update.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun 2016, 17:29    Post subject: wget 1.18 upgrade  

Today, June 13, a security fix is applied to wget. The old behavior of http --> ftp security check was changed to htp --> http. This flaw is now corrected to the old behavior.

Anyone using their Eee as an ftp server, or who uses ftp programs (such as FireFTP included in this distro) should upgrade wget. This one is easy, no links to fix... just D/L, shutdown, power OFF, and reboot.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug 2016, 13:37    Post subject:  

There is an update to libidn --> version 1.33. The old version is dated 2014.

A symlink patch is needed in /usr/lib
Delete libidn.so.11.6.8
Right-click libidn.so.11.6.16 and make a link (make sure 'reletive' box is checked)
Name this link libidn.so.11.6.8 by editing the "16" to "8", and click OK

The /usr/doc file (600K) for this update may be removed.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug 2016, 22:57    Post subject:  

The mini-eee2 version has been uploaded, and is ready for use. My own personal version that includes FO-697 seems ok on most major https sites. This post has been updated for D/L purposes.

Please be aware there are NO shares or servers in the mini-eee. Just surf with baanking/shopping, etc (its tineee). The certs are included, something that was missing since the original slacko5.7 was published.

regards
8Geee

8Geee

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug 2016, 23:48    Post subject: eee-2017 is ready  

The full-sized version (share and servers intact) is now ready, and can be found in the first post of this thread.

D/L is here.

sums are in the first post, and in the separate text file at achive org

8Geee

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug 2016, 14:02    Post subject: nit-pik in the mini-eee version  

For those people not needing documentation, there is a gtk-doc folder present, that need not be there. In the mini-eee version just use PFind with the search term gtk-doc. The location of the folder can be found and removed. For those with the full-eee version, this is optional, as it does provide info and examples on tweaking gtk.

Removing the gtk-doc folder will reduce the iso by 0.33Mb and this folder inflates to 2.5Mb of space.

***EDIT*** There is one more nit-pik... When you wish to update anything other than openssl open puppy package manager firstand do an update using the included slackware 14.0 packages. It seems the openssl upgrade changed the repository default.

Once this is done, one will find an update for curl to 7.50 (using the slackware updates in the menu) made available Aug. 6, 2016. This was included in the slacko5.7-2017 main distro, but missed on BOTH eee spins (by literally a few hours).

Regards
8Geee

Page 2 of 4 [50 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: