FileFinder - a filename search tool

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

Version 2.0 posted above with some bugfixes.

Also see the note about searching through links.

rcrsn51

#17 Post by rcrsn51 »

Version 2.1 is posted above.

There are some changes in how links are handled. Please read the notes.

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

FileFinder v2.2 introduces an Open function. After a search, you can display the list and select an item. You can either open the item in its default application or open the folder where it resides.

Open is designed to work with the ROX file manager. In LxPup, run your Config and change FILEMANAGER=rox to FILEMANAGER=pcmanfm.

---------------------------

ASD

#19 Post by ASD »

At the end of the opening post of this thread is the note (hopefully temporary)
Project withdrawn due to lack of community interest.
Most fortuitously I had downloaded the pet of FileFinder v2.2 before it was withdrawn.

Here is what I really appreciate about the exceptional and unusual facets of FileFinder v2.2 :

(1) I set my Config (via the button in attached screen shot) making two of the options as follows:
export COPYORLINK=link [this will often save huge space and copy time]
export USETEXT=enabled [this facilitates finding keywords within text files and, as pictured, I prefer to find and isolate the text files first]
(2) Typing "/" on the first line [enables a search of all mounted partitions].
If desired, first using rcrsn51's "Partview v2015" then clicking its "All" button, all unmounted partitions (except optical ones) may be mounted in the blink of an eye.
Partview may now be minimised to the system tray to keep all partitions mounted until quitting Partview when the original unmounted state of all partitions will be rapidly restored.
(3) The keywords entry line, possibly using "and/or/not" with [square] or {curly} brackets e.g. as in the screen shot (where no brackets are required) is simple, fast and easily remembered (as explained in Help and the opening post)
(4) Suppose, in the example shown in the screen shot, I forgot to add "or .hlp " - I could add .hlp files to the current list (or I could start a new list).
(5) In the screen shot example I am searching for text files which is quick (well under 10 seconds here) to find more than 4000 files and then quickly copy them with space saving links so that using the Text button I can now search for any words within those text files.

It seems that experimentation with this superb project - which many new testers may well find far superior to "locate" and often simpler, faster and better than "tree" has been woefully sparse - so I ask rcrsn51 to reinstate his pet so that others may try it and report their findings.

PS musher0 might search from his reported 602 iso files with a keyword line, such as:

Code: Select all

.iso [ sla or tah ] not 64
Attachments
shot.png
(72.08 KiB) Downloaded 335 times

rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

FileFinder v2.3 posted above.

Galbi

#21 Post by Galbi »

Installed and running in LxPupSc.

Little testing, it's working fine.

Very useful.

Thanks.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

rcrsn51

#22 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks for testing. I'm thinking about removing "search for text". It's not very useful.

Burn_IT

#23 Post by Burn_IT »

That is one of the features I use most in a FILE FINDER.
I often - for instance - need to find out what module produced a certain message.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

rcrsn51

#24 Post by rcrsn51 »

Do you mean that you are searching source code files?

Burn_IT

#25 Post by Burn_IT »

Not in this case. I use it to search executables for constants IE TEXT messages.

The one I use, you can point at a folder and it will search ALL files in that folder for the text. The folder is often a library of executables.

You don't always have the source available.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett