Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 29 Jul 2016, 00:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Which of many cheese[s] in PPM for logitech c270 webcam.
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Wed 16 Dec 2015, 01:46    Post subject:  Which of many cheese[s] in PPM for logitech c270 webcam.  

Hello
I was gifted a logitech c270 webcam.
lsusb from command line shows it as recognized.
Code:
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 046d:0825 Logitech, Inc. Webcam C270

In an August 2012 ubuntu thread, cheese was recommended and found to work (pic but no sound)with Skype.
Which of the cheese[s] listed in PPM (see screenshot) should I install?

I'd appreciate any help.
cheese-ppm.png
 Description   List of cheese options in PPM
 Filesize   8.49 KB
 Viewed   259 Time(s)

cheese-ppm.png

666philb

PostPosted: Wed 16 Dec 2015, 08:57    Post subject:  

try the first one
B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Wed 16 Dec 2015, 15:28    Post subject:  

Tried to install cheese as 666philb recommended. Got a stream of "missing" but at the end, the "Failed" section of the window listed about 10 items which were "already installed". No "cheese" in the path when invoked from command line; no "cheese" found among System files by pFind.

Installed ALL cheese items listed in PPM. Window appeared asking me to select from list which app(s) I would like to check dependencies for, but list included previously installed and working apps like emelfm2 and seamonkey (see screenshot) . I could have chosen to check all, but instead cancelled.

Packages seem to have been Installed OK.

The screen output from trying cheese from command line was this:
Code:
root# cheese

** (cheese:17532): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
** Message: cheese-application.vala:291: Error during camera setup: No device found

(cheese:17532): cheese-CRITICAL **: cheese_camera_device_get_device_node: assertion 'CHEESE_IS_CAMERA_DEVICE (device)' failed

(cheese:17532): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_new_string: assertion 'string != NULL' failed

(cheese:17532): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_settings_schema_key_type_check: assertion 'value != NULL' failed

(cheese:17532): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_type_string: assertion 'value != NULL' failed

(cheese:17532): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_settings_set_value: key 'camera' in 'org.gnome.Cheese' expects type 's', but a GVariant of type '(null)' was given

** (cheese:17532): CRITICAL **: cheese_preferences_dialog_setup_resolutions_for_device: assertion 'device != NULL' failed

** (cheese:17532): WARNING **: cheese-preferences.vala:317: Error showing help
root#

and a GUI showing "No device found".

Cheese appears in Menu=>Multimedia, but invoking it also brings up the GUI with "No device found".

How do I proceed?
round2.png
 Description   Final display following selection of ALL cheese files from PPM. cheese-common was installed previously.
 Filesize   34.97 KB
 Viewed   217 Time(s)

round2.png

inclusions.png
 Description   partial file list for dependencies check
 Filesize   15.29 KB
 Viewed   217 Time(s)

inclusions.png

B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec 2015, 22:09    Post subject:  

Among the parms -help provided was -d so I tried it with the device provided by lsusb.
Code:
root# cheese -d 046d:0825

(cheese:22root# cheese -d 046d:0825

(cheese:22973): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_settings_set_value: assertion 'G_IS_SETTINGS (settings)' failed
root#973): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_settings_set_value: assertion 'G_IS_SETTINGS (settings)' failed
root#

And GUI with No device found appeared.
So, still no joy.

Doesn't anyone in Puppyland use a webcam? Shocked
[EDIT]
Repeated this last command several times; the CLI output is inconsistent but the GUI consistently shows: No device found.

666philb

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec 2015, 22:10    Post subject:  

try guvcview instead
B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Sat 19 Dec 2015, 01:00    Post subject:  

Continuing my research, I came upon a reference to guvcview, Found that there was a guvcview script in /usr/local/quickpet_precise,which used wget to download a pet from nluug. On a whim, I checked quickpet; guvcview was there under video. Downloaded, installed and launched guvcview. Surprise! There was my face on camera.
Mystery over for now. Sound and Skype investigations to follow, more than likely in the new year. I'll not show the post as solved yet.

[EDIT]
@666philb
Saw your post to use guvcview late. You were right on the money.

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: