(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Sep 2020, 08:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
DebianDog64 - 64 bit DebianDog-Jessie
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 15 of 38 [560 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, ..., 36, 37, 38 Next
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2016, 01:56    Post subject: jwm-obmenu  

Hi Fred,

Another matter of importance to me :-)

As you know, oui has been playing with jwm as wm on your DD64. I'm interested in the same. Unfortunately, I have forgotten most of all we discussed and worked on regarding jwm menu system except you ended up coming up with new system (instead of that created in Bacon language I think by Terry). In particular, is there any chance you could get the following working on DD64, which is your jwm-obmenu:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=861811#861811

I believe some things in there would need to be recompiled of amd64.

William

fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2016, 07:21    Post subject:  

Hi William, Toni,

Quote:
Another matter of importance to me Smile

As you know, oui has been playing with jwm as wm on your DD64. I'm interested in the same. Unfortunately, I have forgotten most of all we discussed and worked on regarding jwm menu system except you ended up coming up with new system (instead of that created in Bacon language I think by Terry). In particular, is there any chance you could get the following working on DD64, which is your jwm-obmenu:

I've forgotten also a lot, I will look into it when I have time in the next days.
Yes, compiling for amd64 will be needed but probably it's easy, but I see that the jwm-obmenu package (for DD32) depends on mkjwmmenu, which has bacon compiled binary.
But maybe it doesn't absolutely require mkjwmmenu (only some configs that are part of mkjwmmenu package?), need to find out.

Toni, you know maybe? It would save me time to figure out.

Fred
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2016, 08:38    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:

I've forgotten also a lot, I will look into it when I have time in the next days.
Yes, compiling for amd64 will be needed but probably it's easy, but I see that the jwm-obmenu package (for DD32) depends on mkjwmmenu, which has bacon compiled binary.
But maybe it doesn't absolutely require mkjwmmenu (only some configs that are part of mkjwmmenu package?), need to find out.

Toni, you know maybe? It would save me time to figure out.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Actually, I can remind you about what you said about mkjwmmenu back at the time jwm-obmenu was being discussed - you did in fact comment that you felt jwm-obmenu could probably be made independent of it in the following post, in which you gave some example code:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=861914#861914

Great if that works.

William

fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2016, 09:28    Post subject:  

Hi William,

Quote:
Actually, I can remind you about what you said about mkjwmmenu back at the time jwm-obmenu was being discussed - you did in fact comment that you felt jwm-obmenu could probably be made independent of it in the following post, in which you gave some example code:

Ah, yes, only I don't like this:

Quote:
But then, if someone wants to change jwm.tail it needs to be done in /etc/xdg/templates/jwm.tail for menu-openbox.

Actually, I found already that it can work without binary from mkjwmmenu and got it running already by experimenting copying /root/.jwm from DD32 JWM version, and some more I already forgot, so need to reproduce again Smile See screenshot

Then I think making some sort of "DD64-Jwm-setup" package with jwm-obmenu and config files included for root and puppy.

Get back later....

Fred
debdog-20160409151511.jpg
Description  Jwm-setup
jpg

Download 
Filename  debdog-20160409151511.jpg 
Filesize  132.03 KB 
Downloaded  222 Time(s) 
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2016, 10:00    Post subject:  

That's looking good Fred.
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr 2016, 05:06    Post subject:  

Hi William, All,

A while back I already had in mind to make a JWM customized package for DD64, now the request (a few posts back) from William got me over the bridge (I'm not really a JWM fan Smile ).
It's using "jwm-obmenu" for the Menu, also included is "Change Jwm theme" (Menu > System > Change Jwm theme)
Note: the update-menus included in /usr/local/bin is a symlink to /usr/local/bin/jwm-obmenu
Originally it's /usr/bin/update-menus which is used to update the "Debian-menu".
This change means that the "Debian-menu" is disabled after installing this package.

Install from terminal:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install jwm-setup-dd64

Or from synaptic: jwm-setup-dd64

Run from Menu > System > Start Jwm

Also here's a SFS module:
< sorry link removed >

Edit: Removed link to SFS module, better try to fix problems, if possible, first and re-upload later.
Edit2: Decided not to provide a SFS module because it's not suitable for this purpose.

Fred
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr 2016, 08:32    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Hi William, All,

A while back I already had in mind to make a JWM customized package for DD64, now the request (a few posts back) from William got me over the bridge (I'm not really a JWM fan :) ).

Well, that was quick and it looks great Fred.

Not directly related, but I wanted to experiment cutting down the resultant jwm version, including the removal of conky (much though I like dogradio, which I keep on my main system). Unfortunately, trying to remove conky seems to automatically remove a whole host of important system stuff (can't remember offhand what since I've already removed it...). Do you really need to have all that openbox stuff and more dependencies of conky? - that seems to make it impossible to remove conky without system problems generally (even when using jwm).

I'm off to bed just now, but will try again tomorrow (by the way, I temporarily stripped all refs to conky out of dogradio, and found that for the most part it still seems to work... just an experiment as I say, but maybe useful to me were it not for the inability to apt-get remove conky itself. Just wondered if the dependencies could be altered to make its removal at least possible?

William

fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr 2016, 10:51    Post subject:  

William wrote:
Not directly related, but I wanted to experiment cutting down the resultant jwm version, including the removal of conky (much though I like dogradio, which I keep on my main system). Unfortunately, trying to remove conky seems to automatically remove a whole host of important system stuff (can't remember offhand what since I've already removed it...). Do you really need to have all that openbox stuff and more dependencies of conky? - that seems to make it impossible to remove conky without system problems generally (even when using jwm).

Well, it may seem like, but it's not removing important system stuff, just openbox related and dogradio:
Code:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  conky* dogradio* openbox-keybinder* openbox-light*

But I agree with you that it should be possible to remove conky without removing the openbox stuff.

Not sure yet how to solve that, for now you can install this "openbox-light" package and then it's possible to remove conky without hassle. Better start with fresh save.
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/64-bit-DebianDog/Temp/openbox-light_0.0.7-dd_all.deb
The package openbox-light has all the scripts, icons, .desktop, menu files related to this customized DD64 Openbox setup.
It's depending on some packages e.g hsetroot, xdotool etc...

Dogradio has dependency of conky for the ticker, which is nice feature IMHO, so personally I wouldn't remove conky dependency as it's very small package (37.9 kB).

Edit: Sorry, conky is just a transitional package, there's also conky-std and conky-all, these are larger.

Fred
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr 2016, 17:22    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
William wrote:
Unfortunately, trying to remove conky seems to automatically remove a whole host of important system stuff (can't remember offhand what since I've already removed it...).

Well, it may seem like, but it's not removing important system stuff, just openbox related and dogradio:
Code:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  conky* dogradio* openbox-keybinder* openbox-light*

But I agree with you that it should be possible to remove conky without removing the openbox stuff.

Not sure yet how to solve that, for now you can install this "openbox-light" package and then it's possible to remove conky without hassle. Better start with fresh save.
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/64-bit-DebianDog/Temp/openbox-light_0.0.7-dd_all.deb

Hi Fred,

Sorry, I was mistaken to think 'system stuff' apart from openbox was involved. I think there was a loss of some thumbnails effect in pcmanfm and that's what made me think system level must be involved, but I'll have to try it again to see again if there is any resultant pcmanfm effect. But thanks, I try that alternative openbox-light deb. It isn't an important matter at all of course - I'm probably the only person in the world that wanted to try uninstalling conky on the system and in the end I might well keep it anyway even for my experiment! :-) EDIT: the reason I was trying to see if system would work without conky is that conky uses about 1% of my CPU - tiny, I know, but I was just striving for minimal dogradio playing.

As far as wm is concerned, I know openbox version is great, but I do also like jwm though mainly just because I'm very impressed with how much it provides in such a small wm package.

William

fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr 2016, 04:21    Post subject:  

William wrote:
EDIT: the reason I was trying to see if system would work without conky is that conky uses about 1% of my CPU - tiny, I know, but I was just striving for minimal dogradio playing

Why not just disable the Dogradio conky-ticker? (from tray-icon menu, see screenshot)
And for the other conky processes you probably know how to disable, e.g. ~/Startup/conkyclock and the entries in autostart.

Fred
disable-conky-ticker.png
 Description   disable conky in dogradio
 Filesize   46.94 KB
 Viewed   425 Time(s)

disable-conky-ticker.png

mcewanw

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr 2016, 04:39    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
William wrote:
EDIT: the reason I was trying to see if system would work without conky is that conky uses about 1% of my CPU - tiny, I know, but I was just striving for minimal dogradio playing

Why not just disable the Dogradio conky-ticker? (from tray-icon menu, see screenshot)
And for the other conky processes you probably know how to disable, e.g. ~/Startup/conkyclock and the entries in autostart.

Fred

You are correct, Fred. That is a much more sensible idea and easy. For some reason I wasn't thinking straight - too many late nights recently! Funnily enough I had even noticed the disable conky setting (in fact I first noticed the function in the dogradio code).

Cheers, William

mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 27 Apr 2016, 21:20    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Added to Extra-modules:
Skype module with multi-arch build in, run Skype from Menu> Network after activating.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36381953/DebDog64-Jessie/Extra-Modules/skype_apulse.squashfs

DebDog64-Jessie/Extra-Modules at DropBox
Fred

Hi Fred,

Is there a mechanism for having this skype module loaded automatically at boot time? Or is that a problem with dpkg? I tried sticking it in .../live/ folder but that didn't load it on boot.

William

fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr 2016, 09:35    Post subject:  

Hi William

Quote:
Is there a mechanism for having this skype module loaded automatically at boot time? Or is that a problem with dpkg? I tried sticking it in .../live/ folder but that didn't load it on boot.

Yes, sticking it in the live folder should work, I just tested and works for me, module loaded and Skype runs fine.
Can you see it in the list showing modules loaded at start of porteus boot ?
(assuming you use porteus-boot)

Edit: To avoid misunderstanding: it should be in the "live" frugal install folder where is also 01-filesystem.squashfs, not in the /live system folder.
No problem with dpkg, BTW, it is not dpkg registered.

Fred
mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr 2016, 00:17    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Hi William

Quote:

Yes, sticking it in the live folder should work, I just tested and works for me, module loaded and Skype runs fine.
Can you see it in the list showing modules loaded at start of porteus boot ?
(assuming you use porteus-boot)

Edit: To avoid misunderstanding: it should be in the "live" frugal install folder where is also 01-filesystem.squashfs, not in the /live system folder.
No problem with dpkg, BTW, it is not dpkg registered.

Fred

Hmmm, that's odd. I thought it should work from frugal live folder too, but in tests neither it nor ffmpeg.sfs were loaded. Since then I've remastered with downloaded skype actually installed (as well as apulse) and so I can't test the modules again right now but I'll create a pristine setup and try again later. I had applied all the stuff mentioned in the fixes post and possibly used remasterdog for something or other prior to trying skype module in live folder - just wondering now if I broke something.

Remastering is such a breeze though and so very useful in DebianDog - way better than just relying on Porteus changes folder, which is what I otherwise usually do. But changes on EXIT: is also a great facility, which is why I prefer DebianDog to the otherwise nice to use official Linux Mint (which my partner admittedly generally uses still...). I've been promising myself to start work on new gtkdialog based app with C backend, which I originally planned out almost a year ago... so I'm trying to settle down in distribution fiddling and get on with that instead, but easily distracted these days unfortunately.

William

fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr 2016, 03:20    Post subject:  

William wrote:
Hmmm, that's odd. I thought it should work from frugal live folder too, but in tests neither it nor ffmpeg.sfs were loaded.

Yes, it is odd indeed for the skype module but not in case of ffmpeg.sfs, it should be renamed to ffmpeg.squashfs. Only modules with .squashfs extension will load at boot (for to activate during a session .sfs works though).

Fred
Page 15 of 38 [560 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, ..., 36, 37, 38 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: