Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 26 May 2016, 04:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Puppy's Impact on Major Distributions
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec 2015, 22:14    Post subject:  Puppy's Impact on Major Distributions
Subject description: Usually it's the other Direction

Hi.

Since (almost?) all of our Puppy GNU/Linux Systems are based on so-called Major Distros, there will be no doubt about the Impact of these Major Distros on Puppy.

By now I'm a four years Member of this Forum and I've never ever heard of any Impact of Puppy GNU/Linux on any Major Distro. Is there any?

However, today the French user oui did a Post in the German Forum. He posted a screenshot from a new LUbuntu Version that has adopted a very special Puppy feature...

...even though it was never ever included into a official Puppy, but built into a very special Puppy Derivative!

The VarioMenu was based on an Idea of the German user der-schutzhund and originally created by SFR and der-schutzhund at the Times when I've made LazY Puppy 2.

A modified and extended Version of the VarioMenu was first ever built into LazY Puppy 2, which was the main OS of der-schutzhund from August 2012 until the middle of 2015 and used by him at a German Public School from Classes 7 to 10 (Realschule Lemgo) as a replacement of Windows ( Shocked ).

The Image posted by oui (the first one) shows the VarioMenu adopted by LUbuntu. You can see it placed on top of the screenshot, presenting VarioMenu Categories like: Internet (acivated), Work, Education, Fun und Preferences.

Anyone knowing of any other examples of Puppy's Impact on Major Distros?

If so, please, add to this Topic!

T.O.P.L.E.S.S. - the Multi-Language Puppy Linux Wrapper.
Just use one single frugal install of a Puppy Linux (32 & 64bit) to be personalised in many different ways.
eric52

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec 2015, 23:06    Post subject:  

Hmm ... I can't point to any specific instances, but if I were searching, I would look at live CD development, bootable USB drives, and frugal installs. I think there were instances of live CD's earlier than Puppy, but I believe Knoppix and Puppy were the first OS designs specifically to be portable. I'm pretty sure Puppy was part of pioneering frugal installs and instrumental in the development of multi-boot USB drives. Exactly who stole what from whom or emulated this that and the other thing might be hard to determine, but I would bet that Puppy had some significant impact, influence, and contribution to the whole process. I would think that Puppy also had some input in remastering. The only Puppy thing that no one else has done much with is the multi-session CD/DVD. As far as I know, no other project has adopted that technique. I find this remarkable, because I consider it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. If I were to "borrow" anything from the Puppy project , that would be it.
musher0

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec 2015, 23:54    Post subject:  

Hello, Eric and "Lazy".

Well, maybe Puppy doesn't have a direct influence, but just by doing what
you mention above, by delivering more than concepts on these innovations,
it's putting the pressure on other distros.

BFN.

(starhawk, Resident Philosopher | philosophe en résidence) Wink
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: