Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 08:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
dual install PLinux with Windows 98 on Dell Inspiron 3000
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
ecomguy

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug 2006, 21:03    Post_subject:  dual install PLinux with Windows 98 on Dell Inspiron 3000  

I have pieced together some step by step instructions from the Puppy forums and other Linux forms to try to make sure I get the installation right before charging ahead. I still have some key questions remaining though, so I wonder if the experts among you could comment on the proposed steps below for I partition and install on an existing Windows 98 hard drive for dual boot capability. In other words, when Im finished I still want to start up from the hard drive, and have grub (or similar) offer the choice of booting Win98 or Puppy Linux.

I have a Dell Inspiron 3000 with 64MB of RAM, and a 2GB hard drive partitioned into a C: drive with 2 GB (733 MB free) and a D: drive of 1.0 GB (924 MB free).

Unfortunately I previously installed MS Office in D: to conserve space on C:, so Id like to avoid completely deleting that from the D: drive if possible. A KEY QUESTION: Does gpart allow me to reformat part of D: without going through the step of deleting all data, eliminating the data, removing D: with something like MS DOS FDISK, formatting D: with FDISK, then further format for Linux with something like gpart?

If the answer is that I must first delete the all the data on D:, then how do these steps look?

Plan to split D: into 3 partitions: root partition, swap partition and the remaining for D drive for Windows, To do so using fdisk:
1. Remove all data from D drive and store it elsewhere (Step 1 above).
2. With fdisk Delete D drive using option 3 of fdisk menu.
3. Create the 3 required partitions by using option 1 of fdisk menu three times.
a) A linux root partition of about 724 MB
b) A swap partition equal to my RAM of 64MB
c) The balance, about 200 MB for MS Office programs to use (after I restore them; they currently consume 151MB).

Details of the fdisk procedure would be:
Start an MSDOS prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Dos Prompt), and type fdisk. It gives a message "Configures a hard disk for use with MS-DOS.... It asks "Do you want to enable large disk support? Answer Yes. Next your are shown the first menu:
1. Create DOS partition or Logical DOS Drive
2. Set active partition
3. Delete partition or Logical DOS Drive
4. Display partition information
Choose "Delete partition or Logical DOS Drive". Next, choose to delete logical DOS drive(s) in the Extended Partition. Then choose to delete D drive.

Now, from the first menu, select "Create DOS partition or Logical DOS Drive". In the following menu, choose "Create Logical DOS Drive(s) in the Extended DOS Partition". Next, specify the size of the partition, about 724 MB for the root drive, then repeat creating a 64 MB swap partition, and a 200 MB partition for the Windows programs.

After going into BIOS to change the boot order to CD ROM first, FD second, and HD third, reboot from the Puppy ISO CD, and go through the procedure described.

Using gpart, format to produce the following:

hda1: fat32 ~200MB (preserving room for Windows with a little bit of extra headroom for future Windows use)
hda2: linux-swap ~ 64 MB
hda3: ext2 ~728 MB

(Based on Billcnz post) To install choose the universal installer from the menu:
Menu --> Setup --> Puppy Universal Installer

Choose ide (ATA) internal hard drive, then choose hda for drive and hda3 for partition. Choose the "Normal" option and follow through the installer. The only part you will need to edit is the final part of the grub boot loader, first install grub to /dev/hda3, then choose /dev/hda for the next part to replace the windows boot loader in the MBR (master boot record). It will automatically add an entry for windows and the new Puppy install and you will also have the option to create a boot floppy.
J_Rey

PostPosted: Tue 15 Aug 2006, 00:58    Post_subject:  

Well, if you want to try Puppy out w/o resizing existing partitions, etc. you could try my Pup4DOS then install to Linux partition later....
ecomguy

PostPosted: Tue 15 Aug 2006, 17:22    Post_subject:  

J_Rey,
Thanks for the suggestion. Your Pup4DOS solution worked beautifully, even though I loaded the lastest 2.02 version. As you guessed I wanted a "trial" installation of PL. If it works well enough, I may completely eliminate Windows 98 from my laptop PC and reinstall PL, giving it access to the entire hard drive. But, for now, this proved a quick and trouble-free way to get started giving Puppy Linux 2.02 a trial. I am now into issues of getting dial up connectivity to work, etc., but this probably has everything to do with my lack of understanding of PL 2.02, and nothing to do with Pup4DOS.

For the benefit of others who might want to try this solution, I followed the link provided by J_Rey in his post,
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Pup4DOS
downloaded the zip file, and followed Pup4DOS directions on the Web site and in the PUP4DOS.txt file that came with the zipped download. Of course, I also had to follow directions for a regular PL 2.02 installation.

In the PUP4DOS.TXT file the only variation I had to make was with the files loaded. This txt file only talks about PL versions 1.xx, not 2.xx, and there has been change in the name and number of files to load for initial installation. The txt file says this:

"To install with Puppy Linux 1.x on hda1 (C:\):
* Copy puppy.bat from c:\puppy to c:\
* Extract/copy the Puppy Linux files (vmlinuz, image.gz, & usr_cram.fs) from the CD image (e.g. puppy-1.0.8-mozilla.iso) or from the actual CD/DVD to c:\"

And I modified my procedure as if it said this:

"To install with Puppy Linux 2.x on hda1 (C:\):
* Copy puppy.bat from c:\puppy to c:\
* Extract/copy the Puppy Linux files (vmlinuz, initrd.gz & pup_2xx.sfs) from the CD image (e.g. puppy-2.02-seamonkey.iso) or from the actual CD/DVD to c:\"

And off I went, right into the installation routine. As with most new users I was happy to see the Puppy desktop appear after jumping through a few hoops based on prompts that appeared during the PL 2.02 installation routine.
J_Rey

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug 2006, 00:17    Post_subject:  

Glad to hear Pup4DOS worked smoothly enough for you. Thanks for the reminder to update it, also. Embarassed
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum