Slacko(32/64) 6.3.2/6.3.0 bug reports.

Please post any bugs you have found
01micko

#271 Post by 01micko »

kerl wrote:Hi Smokey.
I have a multi os boot system created with Lick, that is a few puppies along with winxp. I've just tried xslacko slim and the save file seems to work well. Perhaps some configuration from slacko 6.3.2's save file went wrong? its save file is over 6gb :) perhaps the os could auto-magically fix this issue if I "resize personal storage" once more? :)
Don't do another thing until you boot live (pfix=ram - any puppy will do) and fsck the resident ext2 partition and the savefile. There are errors on the partition according to your pictures which may well be bad sectors on the hard drive.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

kerl

#272 Post by kerl »

01micko wrote:
kerl wrote:Hi Smokey.
I have a multi os boot system created with Lick, that is a few puppies along with winxp. I've just tried xslacko slim and the save file seems to work well. Perhaps some configuration from slacko 6.3.2's save file went wrong? its save file is over 6gb :) perhaps the os could auto-magically fix this issue if I "resize personal storage" once more? :)
Don't do another thing until you boot live (pfix=ram - any puppy will do) and fsck the resident ext2 partition and the savefile. There are errors on the partition according to your pictures which may well be bad sectors on the hard drive.
Hi 01micko. Too late for me? I did a chkdsk on winxp yesterday and now puppy boots but only with 500mb (not my 6gb personal storage).
I got this error screen when booting:

Sylvander

#273 Post by Sylvander »

PROBLEM:
a. Wanted to update my No1 Puppy = Slacko-5.7.0-pae.

b. Downloaded the iso for "Slacko-6.3.2" [uefi methinks, but after burning a CD-RW, I tried to "move" the iso file, and the move failed, so I no longer have the iso used].

c. Saved a copy of the slackosave.4fs file [made the mistake of saving it on sda6]->[different partition on the internal HDD, but way down the folder system, which meant it wasn't found when 6.3.2 booted, thank goodness].

d. Copied the 6.3.2 sfs file, from the CD into the folder on sda5 holding the slackosave file [it appeared the copy on the CD-RW was the one being used during bootup].

e. The Slacko-6.3.2 CD booted ok, found the slackosave file, I gave the go-ahead to use it, and it was used/updated.

f. Got to the desktop ok and all looked good at 1st, except no "Save" icon on the desktop.
[Slacko-5.7.0 CD has pmedia-ataflash in isolinux.cfg, and I forgot to do this in the 6.3.2 CD]
[Later tried to add this setting to the 6.3.2 iso file, but isolinux.cfg has no such settings, so did nothing]
SO...

g. I went to "Menu->System->Puppy Event Manager", made sure the Save session interval was zero=0 min, and clicked to put an X in the box to be asked at shutdown whether I want to save.
But this X would not stay saved in the check-box.
Hence, not asked at shut-down.

h. HOW TO MAKE THIS WORK?
I can normally choose if/when to save during a session...
And also "to save or not to save" at shutdown/reboot.
Can this be done in 6.3.2 by any means?

Sailor Enceladus

#274 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Sylvander wrote:g. I went to "Menu->System->Puppy Event Manager", made sure the Save session interval was zero=0 min, and clicked to put an X in the box to be asked at shutdown whether I want to save.
But this X would not stay saved in the check-box.
Hence, not asked at shut-down.
I never had this problem. Maybe using your save from 5.7 in 6.3 borked something? :)

Sylvander

#275 Post by Sylvander »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:Maybe using your save from 5.7 in 6.3 borked something? :)
If true, I guess I'd need to make a totally new Slacko-6.3.2, with its own new slackosave, right?
That will cause difficulty if I use my preferred method = making a "live" bootable CD-RW, and make a slackosave in a folder on a partition on the internal HDD.
How best to prevent the new Slacko using the old slackosave, and make a new slackosave, and have each Slacko [old and new] use its own slackosave automatically?

umair

#276 Post by umair »

hello everyone:
I have downloaded slacko64. so far working nicely. Having one problem.
my wifi card has not been detected by slacko. Never faced that in Tahr, X-Tahr and other mostly old Puppies.
I am using HP Notebook HP2540P.

Looking for early response.
Thanks in advance

watchdog

#277 Post by watchdog »

My first attempt would be to load the right fdrv.sfs for your kernel. To get aware of the kernel you are using:

Code: Select all

uname -r
Then look in:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... cko6414.1/

and download the right fdrv.sfs. Load it and reboot. If it does not work post your wifi card specifications.

umair

#278 Post by umair »

watchdog wrote:My first attempt would be to load the right fdrv.sfs for your kernel. To get aware of the kernel you are using:

Code: Select all

uname -r
Then look in:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... cko6414.1/

and download the right fdrv.sfs. Load it and reboot. If it does not work post your wifi card specifications.
Thanks for reply:
I have tried that but it did'nt worked. So I searched on the forums and follow the instructions from the below posts.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 573#820573
Downloaded the firmware file. Placed the required 'iwlwifi-6000.4.ucode' file in the /lib/firmware directory. Restarted the system. Now Wifi is working nicely.
Thanks

RickGT351

#279 Post by RickGT351 »

Please include a gnumeric that works in your next update. Thanks http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111644

Edit: I recently downloaded the latest version and Gnumeric works.
Cheers