Slacko(32/64) 6.3.2/6.3.0 bug reports.

Please post any bugs you have found
smokey01

#256 Post by smokey01 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Instead of messing with a firmware SFS, you would be better off going to gyro's up-to-date repo here and getting the exact files you need.
I wasn't aware of his site. I did download the firmware from the intel site and it worked too.

s243a

#257 Post by s243a »

mavrothal wrote:
Griot wrote:

Code: Select all

rpm2tgz vivaldi-beta-1.0.303.52-2.x86_64.rpm 
/usr/bin/rpm2tgz: line 253: /sbin/makepkg: No such file or directory
Install "pgktools" with PPM
Which repository is it located in?

Perhaps this isn't available for the newest 64bit version of slaco.

**Edit I found it. Weird thing was searching for "pkgtools" didn't find it but searching for "package" did. I'm not sure why.

I also have the radio button set on "puppy-slacko6414.1" Not sure if that matters. How do I do a search across all repositories?

bigpup

wifi adaptor druver module not loading

#258 Post by bigpup »

I have tried Slacko (64/32) versions from 5.7 to present versions.

Same result with all.
All fresh frugal installs.
Initial bootup.

Wifi device is a Intel wireless 7260
Needs the iwlwifi driver

At bootup the wireless device is detected, but no driver is loaded, so it does not show up in the Network Wizard.
In Network Wizard.
If I try to load the iwlwifi driver module, it says it loads, but still no wireless device found.

In Tahrpup 64 6.0.5 and Xenialpup 64 7.0.7 wireless device is detected and available with no problems.
iwlwifi driver module loads as normal bootup process.

Info from a Xenialpup 64 7.0.7
Network controller
• Intel Corporation Wireless 7260
• VendorID=8086 DeviceID=08b1 Rev=c3
• Kernel Driver=iwlwifi
• Kernel Module=iwlwifi
Update:
Slacko is missing the firmware for this wireless controller.

I copied the firmware from Xenialpup 64 7.0.7 and it now works.

Copied firmware for iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode thru iwlwifi-7260-16.ucode and placed them in /lib/firmware.
On bootup firmware is loaded and Network Wizard shows the wireless controller for wlan0.

Posting from Slacko 64 6-3.0.6-uefi with updated firmware.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

slenkar

#259 Post by slenkar »

The programming language Python has a module installer called pip

When I boot Slacko 6.3 32bit from an iso I can install devx, then pip and then a python module perfectly.

But when using a Full install of Slacko,
I install devx and reboot then
python complains when trying to do anything,

I always download a python script called get-pip.py to install pip

# python get-pip.py
/tmp/tmp1Dw0Ci/pip.zip/pip/_vendor/requests/packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py:318: SNIMissingWarning: An HTTPS request has been made, but the SNI (Subject Name Indication) extension to TLS is not available on this platform. This may cause the server to present an incorrect TLS certificate, which can cause validation failures. You can upgrade to a newer version of Python to solve this. For more information, see https://urllib3.readthedocs.org/en/late ... ingwarning.
/tmp/tmp1Dw0Ci/pip.zip/pip/_vendor/requests/packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py:122: InsecurePlatformWarning: A true SSLContext object is not available. This prevents urllib3 from configuring SSL appropriately and may cause certain SSL connections to fail. You can upgrade to a newer version of Python to solve this. For more information, see https://urllib3.readthedocs.org/en/late ... ormwarning.
/tmp/tmp1Dw0Ci/pip.zip/pip/_vendor/requests/packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py:122: InsecurePlatformWarning: A true SSLContext object is not available. This prevents urllib3 from configuring SSL appropriately and may cause certain SSL connections to fail. You can upgrade to a newer version of Python to solve this. For more information, see https://urllib3.readthedocs.org/en/late ... ormwarning.

Also when installing python3 from the package manager it stops here:
+ for ONEFILE in '$FNDFILES'
++ grep --extended-regexp 'LSB executable|shared object'
++ file --brief 3
+ ISANEXEC=
+ '[' '!' '' = '' ']'
++ file --brief -

++ file --brief 3
+ ISANEXEC=
+ '[' '!' '' = '' ']'
++ file --brief -

duckguy

32 Bit Compatibility - How to Install???

#260 Post by duckguy »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote: ...running slacko64 with the 32 bit lib compatibility sfs loaded. ... it's pretty wonderful so far--fast, quiet, and easy on cpu and memory use.
I am running Slacko64, and have been trying to load the 32 bit library compatibilty sfs (32bit-slacko6.sfs).

Here is the screenshot: Image ( the screenshot )

So after installing, I went to the TERMINAL and typed in 'LDCONFIG'. The result was "bash - command not found." I tried it several times and using several spellings - none of them work!! Screenshot below:

( LDCONFIG-screenshot )

Has anyone else come across this? This may be a bug or system failure? I am guessing this is due to user error though, probably because I am making some sort of blundering mistrake. Please, if there is anyone out there in the cybernetic universe of the Grand Poobah of Puppy Linux - offer up a sacrifice on the altar of the puppy in my behalf, with a request to absolve me of this burden.

Either that, or perhaps you please might simply tell me what I've done incorrectly. B'H.
Attachments
2017-06-15-32bit-slacko6.sfs_2017-06-15_08.18.42.jpg
SFS file loaded into system. B'H.
(56.68 KiB) Downloaded 750 times
2017-06-15-LDCONFIG_not_found_2017-06-15_08.17.49.jpg
LDCONFIG command not found. B'H.
(29.49 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
Last edited by duckguy on Thu 15 Jun 2017, 14:32, edited 2 times in total.

Sailor Enceladus

#261 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

@duckguy: I can't see the image, but I think ldconfig needs to be all lowercase. Now that you mention this, maybe this is why I couldn't compile wine in 64-bit... not typing ldconfig. That laptop is R.I.P. now though so I guess it doesn't matter any more...

duckguy

32 Bit Compatibility - How to Install???

#262 Post by duckguy »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:@duckguy: I can't see the image, but I think ldconfig needs to be all lowercase. Now that you mention this, maybe this is why I couldn't compile wine in 64-bit... not typing ldconfig. That laptop is R.I.P. now though so I guess it doesn't matter any more...
I uploaded the images to the forum , I guess the link on the Google host is blocking you.

As far as context, and spelling. I entered the command with several different spelling variations. That's in the screenshot (which you were unable to view). I am wondering if my terminal was opened up to an incorrect host, by default? How should I know, if my terminal is not on speaking terms with my operating system.

So, on the positive side, at least the SFS file is the correct add-on for the operating system. Thanks. I was worried I was trying to load an incompatible add-on into Slacko64!!

In any case. Thanks for the prompt response to my confused inquiry. Your efforts, unnoticed, are not. B'H.

kerl

Xz-compressed data is corrupt

#263 Post by kerl »

Hi! Slacko 6.3.2 32 stopped working. It doesn't boot anymore from hd.
Message error says something like:
Loading /slacko-6.3.2-uefi/initrd.gz
early console in decompress_kernel
Decompressing Linux...
XZ-compressed data is corrupt
-- System halted
Can it be fixed? :?

smokey01

#264 Post by smokey01 »

@kerl, maybe replacing the four main files will do the trick. Just don't play with your save file.

kerl

#265 Post by kerl »

smokey01 wrote:@kerl, maybe replacing the four main files will do the trick. Just don't play with your save file.
Thanks. There is still hope for a solution! Which files? Should I download the iso again and extract them from there?

smokey01

#266 Post by smokey01 »

@kerl, just click on the iso to mount it then replace the files on the hard drive with the ones from the iso as below:

initrd.gz
puppy_slacko_6.3.2.sfs
vmlinuz
zdrv_slacko_6.3.2.sfs

If this doesn't work repost and we will try something else.

kerl

#267 Post by kerl »

@smokey01
I replaced those four files and it boots again though everything is slow or doesnt get to load, no internet, cannot poweroff so i have to hardware reset.
Now when booting it takes a lot more and I think it makes something that it did not happen before switching to layered filesystem
Also resolution is adjusted to another one different than before

kerl

#268 Post by kerl »

I've taken these photos showing the errors I get when booting or shutting down when I managed to boot puppy:

smokey01

#269 Post by smokey01 »

@kerl, looks like a hardware issue, RAM or HDD. what happens when you boot with pfix=ram or booting clean off a cd/dvd without a save file?

kerl

#270 Post by kerl »

Hi Smokey.
I have a multi os boot system created with Lick, that is a few puppies along with winxp. I've just tried xslacko slim and the save file seems to work well. Perhaps some configuration from slacko 6.3.2's save file went wrong? its save file is over 6gb :) perhaps the os could auto-magically fix this issue if I "resize personal storage" once more? :)

01micko

#271 Post by 01micko »

kerl wrote:Hi Smokey.
I have a multi os boot system created with Lick, that is a few puppies along with winxp. I've just tried xslacko slim and the save file seems to work well. Perhaps some configuration from slacko 6.3.2's save file went wrong? its save file is over 6gb :) perhaps the os could auto-magically fix this issue if I "resize personal storage" once more? :)
Don't do another thing until you boot live (pfix=ram - any puppy will do) and fsck the resident ext2 partition and the savefile. There are errors on the partition according to your pictures which may well be bad sectors on the hard drive.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

kerl

#272 Post by kerl »

01micko wrote:
kerl wrote:Hi Smokey.
Don't do another thing until you boot live (pfix=ram - any puppy will do) and fsck the resident ext2 partition and the savefile. There are errors on the partition according to your pictures which may well be bad sectors on the hard drive.
Hi 01micko. Too late for me? I did a chkdsk on winxp yesterday and now puppy boots but only with 500mb (not my 6gb personal storage).
I got this error screen when booting:

Sylvander

#273 Post by Sylvander »

PROBLEM:
a. Wanted to update my No1 Puppy = Slacko-5.7.0-pae.

b. Downloaded the iso for "Slacko-6.3.2" [uefi methinks, but after burning a CD-RW, I tried to "move" the iso file, and the move failed, so I no longer have the iso used].

c. Saved a copy of the slackosave.4fs file [made the mistake of saving it on sda6]->[different partition on the internal HDD, but way down the folder system, which meant it wasn't found when 6.3.2 booted, thank goodness].

d. Copied the 6.3.2 sfs file, from the CD into the folder on sda5 holding the slackosave file [it appeared the copy on the CD-RW was the one being used during bootup].

e. The Slacko-6.3.2 CD booted ok, found the slackosave file, I gave the go-ahead to use it, and it was used/updated.

f. Got to the desktop ok and all looked good at 1st, except no "Save" icon on the desktop.
[Slacko-5.7.0 CD has pmedia-ataflash in isolinux.cfg, and I forgot to do this in the 6.3.2 CD]
[Later tried to add this setting to the 6.3.2 iso file, but isolinux.cfg has no such settings, so did nothing]
SO...

g. I went to "Menu->System->Puppy Event Manager", made sure the Save session interval was zero=0 min, and clicked to put an X in the box to be asked at shutdown whether I want to save.
But this X would not stay saved in the check-box.
Hence, not asked at shut-down.

h. HOW TO MAKE THIS WORK?
I can normally choose if/when to save during a session...
And also "to save or not to save" at shutdown/reboot.
Can this be done in 6.3.2 by any means?

Sailor Enceladus

#274 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Sylvander wrote:g. I went to "Menu->System->Puppy Event Manager", made sure the Save session interval was zero=0 min, and clicked to put an X in the box to be asked at shutdown whether I want to save.
But this X would not stay saved in the check-box.
Hence, not asked at shut-down.
I never had this problem. Maybe using your save from 5.7 in 6.3 borked something? :)

Sylvander

#275 Post by Sylvander »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:Maybe using your save from 5.7 in 6.3 borked something? :)
If true, I guess I'd need to make a totally new Slacko-6.3.2, with its own new slackosave, right?
That will cause difficulty if I use my preferred method = making a "live" bootable CD-RW, and make a slackosave in a folder on a partition on the internal HDD.
How best to prevent the new Slacko using the old slackosave, and make a new slackosave, and have each Slacko [old and new] use its own slackosave automatically?