Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 04 May 2016, 08:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
DLNA Quirky Werewolf64 Pup V3 – released 23rd March 2016
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 4 [56 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
ETP

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov 2015, 15:48    Post subject:  DLNA Quirky Werewolf64 Pup V3 – released 23rd March 2016
Subject description: For Smart TVs & other DLNA renderers.

DLNA Quirky Werewolf64 Pup (V1)– released 16th Nov 2015
For Smart TVs
(Please page down for V2 – released 21st Jan 2016)
(Please see page 3 for V3 - released 23rd March 2016)

The primary purpose of this Pup is to act as preconfigured self-contained DLNA server. No special setup is required.
To that end it contains a third 7.9GB f2fs partition (The media “pool”) with 7.1GB of free space.
Three test videos are already present on that partition.

The target device is a 32GB USB2 or USB3 stick but see the first item in the FAQ. - (16GB May be used if true size is sufficient)

Thanks go to BarryK for his Quirky Werewolf64 7.3.2 (Released 15th Nov) upon which this Pup is based. The kernel is 4.2.6.
Thanks also go to forum members radky & SFR for creating the majority of additional pets included.
Nothing has been removed from the base Pup in an attempt to retain compatibility with any future service packs that Barry may issue.
The main additions include:

DLNA: (ReadyMedia a.k.a. minidlna)

The free space on the third partition may be insufficient for some people’s needs.
This implementation however has the ability to switch over to another media repository such as an external USB drive, USB stick or indeed any internal drive or partition.
There is no problem with ever changing USB device letters as it uses the UUID of the partition or device. The only thing required is a simple edit to a single file followed by a reboot.
The file in question is /root/Startup/mountpool.sh. It contains instructions plus an example.

Latest versions of Google Chrome & Thunderbird:
Both are preconfigured and there is a utility to update Chrome. (See FAQ)

Voice Control: (Not of DLNA)
Something to play with! Please see the following post:-
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101039

Wolf Alert:
Provides a visual & spoken alert at boot time or upon restarting X when new pets or service packs become available.

List of additional Pets included:

Minidlna_1.1.5_x86_64_Wolf-V2|DLNA server for Smart TVs
    libxdo3_3.20150503.1-2|library for simulating generating X11 keyboard/mouse input events
    xdotool_3.20150503.1-2|simulate generate X11 keyboard/mouse input events
    htop_1.0.3-1|interactive processes viewer
    ChromeAppLauncherWolf64-V1|Chrome App Launcher
    GetLatest64bitChromeVersionWolf-V1|Get Latest Chrome Version
    JWMDesk-1.2|JWM desk manager
    ListDD-1.1|List dynamic dependencies
    PupControl-2.6|Control panel
    PupClockset-2.4|PupClockset manager
    PupShutdown-2.2|PupShutdown manager
    PupSnap-2.5_Scrot-0.8_64Bit|PupSnap screen capture
    Pup-SysInfo-2.6.1|System information utility
    uextract-3.13|Ultimate Extractor
    UrxvtControl-1.1|Urxvt configuration
    wbar_2.3.0.1_enhanced_Wolf64-V1|A light and fast launch bar.
    WolfAlert_mk1|Visual + Spoken alert of new pets/service packs at boot time
    VoiceControl_V2|Voice Control
    google-chrome-stable_current_amd64|Access the Internet
    thunderbird_38.3.0+build1|Email RSS and newsgroup client with integrated spam filter
    service_pack-7.3.1_TO_7.3.2-werewolf64|upgrade Quirky from werewolf64 7.3.1 to werewolf64 7.3.2

Where to obtain the image: (dlnawerewolf64.img.xz [1.03GB] & md5sum)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_iVVJCd9q09UXl0eFNmWUF4aW8

Installation:
Using Windows: (This is the recommended method when available)

7-Zip should be used to decompress the image. It will decompress to 14.91GB so please ensure that you have at least that much free space available on an NTFS volume.
Use win32diskimager to place the image on the stick.
A detailed win32diskimager guide plus a link to it is to be found here:
www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=765457#765457

Using Linux:
Extract the xz compressed image with UExtract first making sure that you have enough free space as it will expand to 14.91GB. Pet here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87864

Then use the following command to place the extracted image on the stick:

Code:
dd if=/root/Downloads/dlnawerewolf64.img of=/dev/sdx && sync

If the stick is seen as sdb1 you would target the device sdb. No special preparation of the stick is required. Anything on it will be wiped.

Setup:

The idea is that having gone through the usual quicksetup & network settings DLNA should work OOTB.
Just reboot then head off to the TV. If the DLNA does not work with your TV you will need to look elsewhere.
EDIT:23rd Jan 2016
N/B The Puppy firewall should not be enabled when running a DLNA server.

I would appreciate it if you could let me know of success or failure with particular brands & models of TVs. I will then add that information to the second post.
EDIT: 19th Nov
Full sized screen shot here: (Press F11 to toggle into full screen then click on link)
http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B_iVVJCd9q09NnAxaGdVbjR0NTA
wolf.png
 Description   
 Filesize   90.8 KB
 Viewed   1968 Time(s)

wolf.png

Kennels

Last edited by ETP on Wed 23 Mar 2016, 13:10; edited 12 times in total
ETP

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov 2015, 15:55    Post subject: DLNA Quirky Werewolf64 Pup – released 16th Nov 2015  

Reserved for Additional info, tips & FAQ:

Q1. Can I use a 16 GB stick?

A1. Yes, but if and only if its true capacity is not a single byte less than 16008609792 bytes.
To test the true capacity of any 16GB stick that you possess use the following command substituting the drive letter for x
Code:
# fdisk -l /dev/sdx

If it does not meet this requirement you must use a 32GB stick.

Q2. How do I update Chrome when a new release is issued?

A2. A preset bookmark in Chrome leads to details of the latest releases. To upgrade, first use QPM (PPM) to uninstall the existing version.
Having done that, select “Get Latest Chrome Version” from the Internet sub-menu and follow the prompts.
Wait for the "dog" to give you the O/K before launching the new version!

Q3. What type of stick was this built this on?

A3. A 16GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit (Nano stick)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cruzer-Fit-Flash-Drive-SDCZ33-016G-B35/dp/B005FYNSZA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Q4. I added more files to the third partition on the stick but they do not show up on the TV?

A4. If you add or remove files from the repository you must reboot the Pup to initiate a fresh scan of the contents.

Q5. No video thumbnails show up on my TV?

A5. Generally only available in larger more sophisticated DLNA servers than minidlna. Even then special xml profiles may be required for particular makes and models of TV. Be satisfied if you just get high quality video/pictures.

Kennels
don570

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov 2015, 16:39    Post subject:  

I was having a lot of problems putting werewolf64-7.3.usfs.xz onto a USB stick ---> actually a SD card and adaptor

Probably I was having the problems because there was already multiple partitions on the stick.

The solution was to format the USB stick in Windows using SD Formater 4.0
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

I formated to fat32 , then Barry Kauler's install scripts would work properly.

Right-click-64bit-6.9.9

File: Right-click-64bit-6.9.9.pet
Size: 2.49 MB
(untick the downloader box to avoid downloader app install)

I updated my right click package with Uextract 3.13
It works nicely with werewolf. Laughing

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/c9f809c9

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov 2015, 22:38    Post subject:  

Downloaded the DLNA PUP to a location with space for the expansion. Proceeded to creating the boot media.
Code:
bash-4.1# cd /media/4VM/Erasedis
<root> /media/4VM/Erasedis

bash-4.1# pwd
/media/4VM/Erasedis

bash-4.1# xz -d dlnawerewolf64.img.xz

bash-4.1# dd if=dlnawerewolf64.img of=/dev/sdd
31266816+0 records in
31266816+0 records out
16008609792 bytes (16 GB) copied, 11094.4 s, 1.4 MB/s
<root>

bash-4.1# sync && sync
Booted the new media. Upon arrival at desktop, FirstRUN did not start. Manually started it to set localization needs.

Clicked to mount the 3 partitions of the booting USB media. I see the partition designated for media; namely /dev/sdb3. Its contents are:
In the 2nd post, wrote:
Q4. I added more files to the third partition on the stick but they do not show up on the TV?
A4. If you add or remove files from the repository you must reboot the Pup to initiate a fresh scan of the contents.
I have a LG GoogleTV which this works well WITHOUT the need to reboot. Discovery of any added media is immediately available in my case. Thus this either available in DLNA periodic scanning of its media OR no scanning is necessary as this is available as a pool to the LAN community (much like SAMBA sharing does).

If a folder containing media is symlink'd into partition #3, my TV will see it and allow selections from it.

Further, if I leave the link in and happen to reboot the DLNA PUP, my TV will NOT see the symlink'd folder. It does see the original files on the partition, but just doesn't acknowledge the presence of the symlink'd folder. In other words, GoogleTV shows the 6 original files but does NOT show the symlink folder.

Updated explanation: initially the folder is empty because the smylink pointer is pointing to a folder on a partition that is not mounted. But, after mounting the partition, the TV still does NOT see the folder even though the folder's contents can be seen on the DLNA PC.

YET, without rebooting over at the PC, if I delete and recreate the symlink to the media folder I added, THEN, my GoogleTV will instantly see my added media, too. Thus, adding a folder in real time to the media partition will be seen by the GoogleTV, immediately.

Hope this is helpful

Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 17 Nov 2015, 17:00; edited 1 time in total
ETP

PostPosted: Tue 17 Nov 2015, 12:54    Post subject: DLNA Quirky Werewolf64 Pup – released 16th Nov 2015  

@don570,

Thanks for your link to the latest version (6.9.9) of your Right-click-64bit utility.
It is a firm favourite of mine and I will give it a try with DLNA Pup.

Your mention of SD cards in the context of this thread might cause confusion.
The recommended install of this Pup is to a USB2 or 3 stick rather than an SD card.
The reason is that a read speed sufficient to smoothly deliver 1080p video is required.
Manufacturers claims of read/write speeds are always exaggerated by as much as 50%.
Here are some real world examples:

DRIVE READ-SPEED (hdparm -t --direct)

sda: ATA Samsung SSD 840
    1052 MB in 3.00 seconds = 350.65 MB/sec

sdb: SanDisk Cruzer Fit
    94 MB in 3.03 seconds = 30.98 MB/sec

sdc: Generic-Multiple Reader
    54 MB in 3.10 seconds = 17.42 MB/sec

sdd: SanDisk Cruzer Fit
    70 MB in 3.03 seconds = 23.11 MB/sec

sde: Generic-SD/MMC
    58 MB in 3.09 seconds = 18.74 MB/sec

Test Date: Tue 17 Nov 2015, 09:53:49

In the above sdb & sdd are identical sticks but sdb shows a faster read speed as it is f2fs
as opposed to sdd which is standard fat32. It clearly shows the advantage of f2fs.

The other interesting thing is sde which is a 16GB SanDisk Ultra Class 10 SD card with a claimed speed of up to 30MB/s.
sdc is a 4GB class10 card which gives a similar figure to the Ultra.

@gcmartin,

Thanks for your report and screen grabs.
Firstrun does not launch on first boot as the full install has been pre-configured in many respects. It is in effect a clone of a full install.
The intention is that you launch it via the extra "Tux" icon named "Quicksetup" on the desktop.

Your use of symlinks is both interesting & innovative. You probably noted that the third partition is already
automatically mounted at boot up. If you were also to arrange for the drive/partition containing the
symlinked folder to be automatically mounted (Prior to the 3rd partition being mounted and before minidlna
is launched and does its first scan) that might well work.
It does however start to complicate matters. I favour simple solutions. It all boils down to whether the 7.1GB of free
space on the third partition meets your needs or not.
If not, the simplest solution is just to target an external USB2 drive and make a simple edit to the mountpool.sh script.

Another option if using a 32GB stick, is to expand the 3rd f2fs partion to fill the stick which would then give you 22GB of free space.
How to expand an f2fs partition is described here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=868520#868520
The 6 files currently on the 3rd partition can first be moved to the 2nd partition.
Following that procedure the UUID of the 3rd partition will have changed and you will need to amend the one in the mountpool script.

Kennels
gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 17 Nov 2015, 14:02    Post subject:  

Over the many years of electronic media capture, I have "centralized" most photos, videos, and music on NAS units. Thus, symlinks work and GoogleTV was tested showing that the content is presented via DLNA-PUP. All content rendered very well via DLNA PUP to the TV; namely photos, videos, and music no matter where the PUP subsystem is sourcing them.

A brief discussion of setup strategy or any extension is helpful, as, I am sure others have content spread across their home's LAN as well, that can be delivered to smartTVs/smartPhones/smartTablets throughout the home on the same physical LAN subnet. One of my first tests was rendering on my phone.

For example, looking at the performance of your local media, I/O performance of the DLNA PUP would certainly be greater if teh PUP used the local SSD. This would bring the CPU waits down because of the device speed and the fact that the USB serial channel would not be a bottleneck should other USB devices exist on the same path.

You have opened our eyes with this use.

Still, this solution is great for what this PUP now does in helping us in our homes. Its impact is non-intrusive on system's behavior. Its a tiny subsystem having little to no overall system impact when not in use or when in use as I review HTOP reporting.

Thanks @ETP!

ally

PostPosted: Wed 18 Nov 2015, 11:06    Post subject:  

mirrored here: http://archive.org/details/DLNAQuirkyWerewolf64Pup

Smile
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 18 Nov 2015, 12:47    Post subject:  

The latest version is out.

UPDATE 17 Nov. 2015: Quirky 7.3.3 is a bugfix release

ETP

PostPosted: Wed 18 Nov 2015, 17:01    Post subject: DLNA Quirky Werewolf64 Pup – released 16th Nov 2015  

@ally,

Thanks once again.

@bigpup,

Thanks for the heads up. BarryK's service pack to upgrade from 7.3.2 to 7.3.3 is now out.
To upgrade please select "Quirky Version Upgrade Manager" off the Filesystem menu.
Allow plenty of time for it to complete before rebooting.

Wolf Alert has been turned on and will remain so for 72 hours.

Kennels
don570

PostPosted: Wed 18 Nov 2015, 21:31    Post subject:  

Quote:
sdc: Generic-Multiple Reader
54 MB in 3.10 seconds = 17.42 MB/sec

I use my computer mostly for music and I find that I can use USB2

I just bought a raspberry pi computer so my card reader has come in handy
since it boots up a SD card.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Fri 27 Nov 2015, 17:11    Post subject: DLNA Quirky Werewolf64 Pup – released 16th Nov 2015  

I installed to a 16gb usb-3.0 flash drive, it took approximately 30
minutes.
My tv is a Samsung SmartTV,I don't know the model.
When I press sources on the remote ALLSHARE ETP's DNLA SERVER is one of
the options, choose that and go to one of the folders.
The Google video plays,the other two aren't supported.

Thanks
gcmartin

PostPosted: Sat 28 Nov 2015, 04:17    Post subject:  

Got Phones/Tablets?
Anyone use their smartPhone/smartTablet which is on the same LAN segment as this DLNA-PUP? If so, you should be able to see and play ANY media files you have in DLNA-PUP's Media folder.

To upload/download media
Also, on those devices, if you add "ES" from the PlayStore(s), you can transfer files from between your smartDevice and DLNA-PUP. To do so, go to DLNA-PUP's Menu>Network>SSM and insure that the Media folder is shared and SAMBA is started.

Summary
This distro brings much usefulness to the home. It demonstrate how the home's devices connected via the home's LAN cooperate for useful purposes in the home. Our homes operating with this kind of cooperation is a system...A Home System.

ETP

PostPosted: Sat 28 Nov 2015, 04:52    Post subject: DLNA Quirky Werewolf64 Pup – released 16th Nov 2015  

Hi Billtoo,

Thanks for testing. The Google video is 720p .mp4 whilst the other two test trailers are 1080p .mov.
It is not clear whether your particular smart TV has taken exception to the .mov format or the higher
resolution. Some TVs are also picky about the codecs used within the files. You really need to consult
the manual for that specific TV. These are generally held online at the manufacturers support site.
Another option is to convert the 2 .mov trailers to .mp4 to see if they then play.
There may also be firmware updates available for your TV.

Attached below are full details of the 3 test trailers that are included.

EDIT: 10th Dec 2015

BarryK's service pack to upgrade from 7.3.3 to 7.4 is now available.

To upgrade please select "Quirky Version Upgrade Manager" off the Filesystem menu.
Allow plenty of time for it to complete before rebooting.

Wolf Alert has been turned on and will remain so for 72 hours.
image-7.jpg
 Description   Details of the 3 included test trailers.
 Filesize   99.2 KB
 Viewed   1453 Time(s)

image-7.jpg

Kennels

Last edited by ETP on Thu 10 Dec 2015, 06:53; edited 1 time in total
Billtoo

PostPosted: Sat 28 Nov 2015, 12:37    Post subject: DLNA Quirky Werewolf64 Pup – released 16th Nov 2015  

Hi ETP,

I tested a couple of other formats and they play okay, mkv and mpg.
I have a folder full of different formats to test if I can ever find it, kind of doubtful that I can though.
Anyway, thanks again for the new OS.

Edit: I added some applications with QPM, Kodi and Kdegames.
screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   82.69 KB
 Viewed   1382 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

ETP

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jan 2016, 15:37    Post subject: DLNA Quirky Werewolf64 Pup V2 – released 21st Jan 2016
Subject description: For Smart TVs & other DLNA renderers.

DLNA Quirky Werewolf64 Pup V2 – released 21st Jan 2016
For Smart TVs & other DLNA renderers.

The main reasons for this V2 release are an upgrade to the improved means of targeting a media repository as featured in
DLNA Tahr64 Pup and a reduction in size of the target install USB 2 or 3 stick to 16GB or 8GB if the true capacity of the
stick is sufficient.
This version is based on BarryK’s Quirky Werewolf64-7.4 that was released on 10th Dec. The kernel is 4.2.6.

In order to reduce the size of the image to 633 MB it only contains 2 GPT partitions rather than 3. The included 2 test videos
are housed on the small first fat32 partition which is automatically mounted at boot time. The second partition is f2fs.

Full sized screen shot here: (Press F11 to toggle into full screen then click on link)

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B_iVVJCd9q09MDBWS3Vua01SQzA

Other Changes:
• Items removed that were in V1 include – Google Chrome, Wolf Alert & Voice Control.

• Items added include – Thunderbird 38.5.1, vlc 2.2.1 & Firefox 43.0.4

• New cosmetics with particular emphasis on font clarity.

DLNA: (ReadyMedia a.k.a. minidlna – Version 1.1.5_x86_64)

The primary purpose of this Pup is to act as preconfigured DLNA server. No setup of that feature is required for testing.
The idea is that having gone through the usual quicksetup & network settings DLNA should work OOTB.
Following setup, just reboot and then head off to the TV to test whether or not it works with your particular TV make & model.

In this version the first partition on the stick too small to house additional media.
The intention is that having tested that it works with your TV, you then switch over to your main media repository
which may be on any accessible drive or partition including another USB stick.

At the bottom of the Utility menu is a new option “Change DLNA Repository”. When selected, it will first display the UUID of your current
repository which OOTB will be that of the first partition on the stick. It then displays a list of all available UUIDs and guides you through
the simple process of changing it.

Using an 8GB stick:

An 8GB may be used if and only if its true capacity is not a single byte less than 7,998,799,872 bytes.
To test the true capacity of any 8GB stick that you possess use the following command substituting the drive letter for x
# fdisk -l /dev/sdx
If it does not meet this requirement you must use a larger stick.
You may opt to use a larger stick at the outset if you intend to create a media repository in the free unused space.

Where to obtain the image: (dlnawerewolf64v2.img.xz [633 MB] & md5sum)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_iVVJCd9q09YjhXbWNXenJZLUU&usp=sharing

Installation:
Using Windows: (This is the recommended method when available)

7-Zip should be used to decompress the image. It will decompress to 7.44 GB so please ensure that you have at least that much free space available on an NTFS volume.
Use win32diskimager to place the image on the stick.
A detailed win32diskimager guide plus a link to it is to be found here:
www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=765457#765457

Using Linux:
Extract the xz compressed image with UExtract first making sure that you have enough free space as it will expand to 7.44GB. Pet here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87864

Then use the following command in a terminal to place the extracted image on the stick:
(This may take up to 30 minutes with just a flashing cursor as feedback until it finishes)

Code:
dd if=/root/Downloads/dlnawerewolf64v2.img of=/dev/sdx && sync

If the stick is seen as sdb1 you would target the device /dev/sdb. No special preparation of the stick is required. Anything on it will be wiped.

Setup:

1. On first boot use the “Qsetup” desktop icon to set your desired parameters.

2. To test whether an IP address has automatically been acquired by DHCP launch the browser. If Google does not appear you will need to
click on the desktop “connect” icon to configure your network interface.

N/B It is recommended that a wired connection is used between the box that this server is running on and your wireless router.

EDIT:23rd Jan 2016
N/B The Puppy firewall should not be enabled when running a DLNA server.

WARNING:

When using Gparted either to create a new vfat or f2fs third partition in any unallocated space or
just to inspect the layout on a stick please disregard any offer to FIX the GPT layout.
Accepting the spurious offer will ruin the build & render the stick non-bootable.

If you do wish to manipulate GPT partitions the correct tool to use is the cli utility "gdisk".
That is included OOTB in V2. A complete list of pets included can be found in:
PupSysinfo/Sys-Files/PETS
Change-Repository.png
 Description   New item at bottom of Utility menu.
 Filesize   201.95 KB
 Viewed   1213 Time(s)

Change-Repository.png

dlnawolf64-v2-800.jpg
 Description   New Cosmetics
 Filesize   53.58 KB
 Viewed   1213 Time(s)

dlnawolf64-v2-800.jpg

Kennels

Last edited by ETP on Fri 08 Apr 2016, 15:56; edited 3 times in total
Page 1 of 4 [56 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives