What is the difference between my NEW PC and my old?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
gcmartin

What is the difference between my NEW PC and my old?

#1 Post by gcmartin »

A performance report, such as we get when we run the reports available in Puppy LInux (HARDINFO), shows some numbers which are not necessarily meaningful to any typical user(s). The numbers do not translate to anything that is real in the physical realm.

But, when it is expressed, phyically with something identifyable, it sinks in!

This is an example where anyone can "see" a performance report in a practical sense.

Hope this is helpful. It intends to show what I hope to have within a few weeks.

When touch works in PUPPY we will be able to do the same with our PCs. (Yes, I know it only works in FD7 and all of the LightHouse PUPs OOTB)

p310don

#2 Post by p310don »

I'd like to see the same video with the 2 PCs running side by side, doing the same stuff, except the one of the left is running Puppy and the one on the right is running Win10 with touch. I'd bet the old PC would keep up then :)

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Hi gc.

Bad example. Really biased! :)

No-no-no-no, the solution is NOT your new super-chip. I noticed the guy
on the left is almost always using his pad.

Wow. No wonder he's slower than the guy on the right.
  • 1) A pad does not allow you as much speed and agility as a mouse.
    That should be obvious, no? Plug a mouse in one of the USB ports and
    you'll notice the difference immediately.

2) Learn to type properly (not necessarily speed-type, just "type
    properly") and you won't have to buy a machine with this super chip.
    Mega bucks saved.
People as so lazy !!! :lol: Laziness as an engine for development! Ah!

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

Yeah, @Musher0, I would certainly factor that but, as you see, the person on the left is using BOTH hands and this cannot be accomplished using a mouse. Thus, if 2 of the same PCs was being used, one with the pad and another with the mouse, the benefit of both hands for application use gives an advantage that mouse users don't have. (Speaking from a pad user of many years)

No, @p310don, I am certain that there will be a similar comparable difference when BOTH PCs run Puppy Linux. This is not to demonstrate of the benefit of the OS, rather, it demonstrates the benefit of the CPUs in the PCs being shown (the hardware benefit). Thus, if Puppy Linux (one that has touch ability of course) is running on each PC, you should expect the PC on the right to produce the same improvement you see in the video.

But, I think we understand the hardware's performance that the video is reporting: You will get a performance boost, even with Puppy Linux.

Tablets are starting to become pretty ubiquitous in use both in/out of corporations and education. I am considering a tablet style laptop configuration, probably with a detachable tablet screen. to replace my aging 6 yr/old HP touch laptop whose screen swivels to a tablet with its stylus pen.

Power usage is looking to be extremely small in comparison to the older laptops we have used in the past. Another reason for the change. My laptop gets a little too warm on my lap when sitting in airports.

In its day, my HP was the marvel everyone in compactness, power, and weight. Today, if feels like I'm lifting an elephant even when I dont bring its power supply.

Assuming I can find a reasonable deal over the coming weeks.

tallboy

#5 Post by tallboy »

My 14 year old P4 Linuxbox suddenly felt a bit outdated.
I embrace new technology, but not necessarily for my own purposes.
Then I remembered that I also really embrace the Slow Food concept.
I also realized that I did not register a single thing the guy actually did with his fancy new processor!
So I guess my brain is in a permanent state of slow-mode, and very suited to my old P4. (which by the way is my 'fast' linuxbox) :lol:

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Pelo

fantastic progress !

#6 Post by Pelo »

gcmartin the video is :D :!: :P :roll:
Not for puppy applications sure... fantastic progress !

kb8amz

#7 Post by kb8amz »

Not a great comparison because of obvious difference in equipment spec's and date of the installed technology, but IMO a marked difference between the hardware and OS's.

The video reminds of the operational difference when viewing YT videos between my Dell Optiplex 210L* Intel 2.4 GHz CPU 4 GB RAM video on MB chip running (started with LM 5) LM 17.3 32 bit version (circa: 2002 build) and my Dell Latitude D505** laptop Celeron M 1.5 GHz CPU 2 GB RAM ATI video card (build date 2004) 1 GB USB stick with Puppy Precise 5.7.2 installed.

Video streaming on the Optiplex stalls, is jagged, and stalls at times to replenish the RAM. Video streaming on the Latitude is smooth and rarely stalls.

Then there is the HP Pavillion AMD 4 core CPU AMD Radeon video I am using now with FD64 7.02 that would be like comparing an 8 mm movie projector for the Latitude to a digital movie projector for the Pavillion. No comparison!

* Picked up from the junk skid at a part time phone tech job I worked for the 'No Child Left Behind' education program. Brought home fixed up, upgraded RAM from 512 MB to 4 GB, wiped the installed W Vista OS when I installed Linux Mint 5.

** The laptop give me to use, at a 2-year tech school, while earning a degree. I would have preferred a Pentium CPU but had no selective choice in setup. WinXP Pro OS installed with 1 GB RAM. Upon graduation upgraded to 2 GB RAM and installed Linux Mint.

When mouse came available for use with my CBM C128D I purchased one but used it rarely until I purchased GEOS. The mouse was basically required. When I progressed to a Windows 3.11 desktop in 1984 I never gave to blinks at using a mouse.

When the tablet came about I again balked. Even though it was a great prop on the TV series Star Trek I resisted change. At age 11 my Grandson was asking Grandpa tablet. I thought he'd be better off with a laptop. Then Mama's laptop took a dive and she was taking control of Grandson's laptop. I thought it would be a great opportunity to convert the Grandson to Linux and force Mama to repair her laptop. The 365 mile distance between Grandson and Grandpa made it difficult to go for a visit and complete the aforementioned install. Two years passed; I've purchased 3 tablets over 2 years to get experience with the Android OS so I could continue to be the family computer guru but I've difficulty liking the tablet. Yes, its light weight, easier to transport than a laptop, and has a onscreen keyboard, but I feel uncomfortable typing with 2 index fingers. Its so slow. The tablets are on a shelf collecting dust.

This past Christmas I purchased a 10 inch tablet (my first tablet only 5 inch and the 3rd tablet only 9 inch) for my Grandson. He's been using it daily, so he tells me.

Rant: I'm about ready to dump this Pavillion. The keyboard is very poor. I have to really slow down my typing and be very precise pressing the keys. I might press 'K' and extra characters 'dt' showup on the screen preceding the 'K'. The left shift key takes special pressing from my pinky finger. I have to stop, press the l-shift key carefully, then type the character with my left hand/finger. Very annoying.

I apologize for the off topic rant but swearing aloud is bother my Chow, Kobe.
Terry Morris - KB8AMZ
Registered Linux User# 412308

Dell Latitude D505 tahr-6.0-CE_noPAE; Dell Optiplex 520 desktop Ubuntu 14.04 LTS; Dell Optiplex 150 LM 17 32bit, HP Quad Core AMD FatDog64 7.02