ocd-Dock - a dock written for Puppy

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
ProgRob

#46 Post by ProgRob »

@Ghost Dog,

The only change made to that section of code is where I have removed the condition where it ignores menus and similar windows.

Does the dock overlap with another window, such as a panel? That would be a cause as panels, like menus, were previously ignored and now will trigger a hide.

ProgRob

#47 Post by ProgRob »

@Ghost Dog,

Ignore this - see the next post
Last edited by ProgRob on Thu 04 Feb 2016, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

ProgRob

#48 Post by ProgRob »

@Ghost Dog, I have now replicated the problem (basically I was being impatient in my testing, not giving the dock long enough before it tried to hide).

I have now uploaded Beta 2.2.1 which both fixes the problem and indeed improves the detection of window overlapping.

Have a go and let me know what you think. The fix is slightly clunky and I will improve it in a later release t make it more efficient!

Best wishes,
Rob

takenp

#49 Post by takenp »

The bullet theme is awful for me (see scrot)
I tried dockalignment = 0.0 and failed

I've got the new pet file from the first post and tried to check version - failed too (neither -v --version, nor --help worked)

anyway -- many thanks for your efforts
Attachments
dockalignment.jpg
(64.68 KiB) Downloaded 761 times

Ghost Dog

#50 Post by Ghost Dog »

Dock is perfect now, thanks. :D
The Way of the Samurai

torm

#51 Post by torm »

Will need to look into new version first, before asking,
then - how about stuff from the system-tray?
.. it comes pretty pre-loaded with most JWM setups, and
usually I just remove most of them from the tray anyway :?
Are these going to be as user-selectable "external widgets" ?
Plus DeadBeef and Osmo (any other.. ?) have a bad manner to hide there,
and therefore may need a way to be accessible at some point...
Most likely Retrovol will get some use, as for local install -most of other stuff
is preconfigured and left.. as-is, prior to installing dock.

torm

#52 Post by torm »

Some configuration notes.
I hope these are useful for someone :wink:

For IceWM, to disable IceWM taskbar, in-
/root/.icewm/preferences
set the following:
ShowTaskBar=0 # 0/1
Or one can just start X with plain:
xwin icewm
- that starts only window manager, without any session-extras.

For JWM, one can edit:
/root/.jwmrc
and comment out the line (somewhere after menu items..) that says:
<Include>/root/.jwmrc-tray</Include>
so it then looks like:
<!-- Include>/root/.jwmrc-tray</Include -->

I don't really know if it is the right way of doin' it, but it worked for me.
To get a permanent setting for JWM, one will have to edit the initial template file,
as .jwmrc gets overwritten every now and then..

For w32 refugees, who "just need" a Start-button, there should be
myGtkMenu, somewhere here on the forum (at least there was.. )
that may look pretty good with the dock, as it uses the same Gtk2 theme.
And when configured to whatever it should be..
-to use it with the dock, add the following:
run "Startmenu" "myGtkMenu /root/.config/myGtkMenu/myGtkMenurc" some_icon_name.png
to the file:
/root/.config/ocd/dock/pinned
"some_icon_name.png" will not need a path, if it is placed in a common place:
/usr/share/icons

ProgRob

#53 Post by ProgRob »

Earlier today I uploaded a minor update - version beta 2.2.1.

The changes are:

1. To deal with a very good point made by takenp, there is now a -v switch which, if you run ocd-Dock from a terminal, you will get the version number printed out

2. In addition, if you use the -s switch, which brings up a diagnostics window which can be used to monitor the start up process, it will also report the version number right at the start

3. A fix to an alignment problem with indicators when the dock is placed on side 3 (N).

4. A new theme, blox (see below). This one is another, like bullet, where there is no bar. It is left aligned on the screen with a small, deliberate gap before the first icon. The background of the individual icons changes according to the icon.

Enjoy!

ProgRob

#54 Post by ProgRob »

@takenp,

Try the attached dock-config file - I suggest you place in ~/.config/ocd/dock/

It uses the new blox theme, so you need to download the very latest version from the first post. It should now report version Beta 2.2.1 if you use a -v switch.

It should then work as previously reported...

Regards,
Rob
Last edited by ProgRob on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

torm

#55 Post by torm »

JWM minimize to tray, when clicking the icon on the dock?
Icewm is fine, think I've seen that with bmpanel2 at some point..

will check the new version now 8)

Edit:
Any confirmation about JWM??
can be a local setup error....
Last edited by torm on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 03:41, edited 1 time in total.

ProgRob

#56 Post by ProgRob »

torm wrote:Will need to look into new version first, before asking,
then - how about stuff from the system-tray?
.. it comes pretty pre-loaded with most JWM setups, and
usually I just remove most of them from the tray anyway :?
Are these going to be as user-selectable "external widgets" ?
Plus DeadBeef and Osmo (any other.. ?) have a bad manner to hide there,
and therefore may need a way to be accessible at some point...
Most likely Retrovol will get some use, as for local install -most of other stuff
is preconfigured and left.. as-is, prior to installing dock.
Hi Torm, my plan is to create as many widgets as possible to minimise the need for stuff inany kind of system tray. In my view items in the system tray are either useful (and so should have a widget) or useless (otherwise why are they stuffed away in the tray?). The idea is that you choose which widgets to include on the dock.

takenp

#57 Post by takenp »

ProgRob wrote:@takenp,

Try the attached dock-config file - I suggest you place in ~/.config/ocd/dock/

It uses the new blox theme, so you need to download the very latest version from the first post. It should now report version Beta 2.2.1 if you use a -v switch.

it works as you said, thx!
If I put "keepabove = false" I get a big shadow again
btw how should the dock disappear if it is aligned to the left in the middle of the screen ?

ProgRob

#58 Post by ProgRob »

@takenp, you raise a couple of points...

1. To avoid the 'shadow' I had to set the dock window as a 'dock' as defined by the Enhanced Window Manager Hints (EWMH) standard. Compton (and presumably other compositors) know about EWMH 'docks' and avoid putting a shadow round them. Unfortunately EWMH also specifies that docks should be kept above all other windows. Therefore if you want a dock that is not kept above other windows then it cannot be marked as a dock according to EWMH.

As a result, in the current version, if the dock is set with keepabove=true, it will also be marked as a dock so that compositors can treat it correctly. If it is set at keepabove=false, it is not marked as a dock so you will have to explicitly tell the compositor not to put a shadow round it. You can do this using the dock window's name 'ocd-dock'.

2. The alignment of the dock makes no difference as to where the dock hides. The way in which the dock hides is defined by the edge on which it is placed. In the example I have set the dock as non-hiding. If you set it to hide it will disappear off the top of the screen, which looks a bit weird. This is because, to make the menus drop down I set the dock at the top edge with a huge offset that moved it into the middle of the screen. To make it disappear off the side of the screen would require additional work. Maybe in the future...

Hope that explains things,
Thanks,
Rob

ProgRob

#59 Post by ProgRob »

New release!! Version Beta 3.0

For this release I have completely rewritten the widgets system. It now has a extremely flexible skinning system (with its own scripting language) and at last there is support for external (user-definable) widgets.

The widgets in this release are:
  • Clock - which covers all kinds of clock-based widgets including calendars
  • sysmonitor - for cpu and memory monitoring
  • wifi - a monitor for wifi signal strength
  • battery - for monitoring battery levels
  • bbcweather - the current weather and forecast for the day's weather from the BBC in the UK's RSS feed - this is an example external widget
The number of skins has been expanded considerably, especially for the clocks pulling in a number of skins from XonClock and CairoClock.

The download links are in the first post - let me know how you get on. Note that if anyone did create their own skins for the old widgets then you will have to modify them. Also, you may need to modify your pinned file to use the new widgets.

My next targets are probably desklets (put those widgets standalone on the desktop!), better integration with composition managers (if you have one running) and some internal clean up of some of the other graphics code to bring it up to the standard of the new widgets code.

Cheers,
Rob

ProgRob

#60 Post by ProgRob »

Unfortunately a bug was found in Beta 3.0. This meant that the default widgets were not being found. It worked correctly for widgets that were in the user's directory (~/.config/ocd/dock/widgets).

I have released a new version, 3.1, which fixes the bug.

torm

#61 Post by torm »

Works nice in PekWM :wink:

ProgRob

Release 4.0

#62 Post by ProgRob »

Release 4.0 contains:
  • Introduction of desklets - a means of putting launchers and widgets onto the desktop using the same theme as the dock
    New external widget, deskcalendar, which is best displayed on the desktop as a desklet, but is an attractive way of displaying the results of the Linux cal command
    Additional widget commands: textblock and endblock - force groups of text to all have the same font size; and arc - used to draw arcs (including pie slices, circles, donut rings, etc), either as a drawing or driven by a stream value
    Some more skins for the clock widget and the symonitor widget
    Some bug fixes
    Improved the look of the documentation, converted to odt format (though it doesn't open in Microsoft Word, for some reason) and reduced the file size.
Screen shot showing the desklets

Thank you!

mow9902

Understanding format of desklet command

#63 Post by mow9902 »

Firstly - thank you for this application which I am running on my tahr 6.0.2 system.
It has many many configuration options and I have been steadily working my way through the documentation experimenting with each of them. All good with pinning an item, creating launch items in the pin file, pinning a widget etc...but cannot seem to understand how to make the desklets work.

The documentation says that a desklets file needs to be created in .config and this file should have a separate line for each required desklet. The command format is size x y <command>

Let's assume I want to have the clock show in a desklet. Can someone please give me an example of the correct format for this line - assuming I want a size for the desklet of
500 pixels high x 200 pixels wide
positioned at 20 pixels from top and 40 pixels from left of screen
clock with no skin.

Thanks heaps in anticipation.

ProgRob

#64 Post by ProgRob »

Hi Mow9902,

Firstly, thanks for the feedback.

The main problem is that desklets MUST be square so it is not possible create (at least at present) rectangular desklets.

If you wanted, though a clock (with no skin) 200 pixels by 200 pixels at the position you specify then the desklets file should contain the command:

200 40 20 clock

Hope that helps and sorry for the delay in replying but it has been a busy weekend!

Rob

Ghost Dog

#65 Post by Ghost Dog »

Hi again,

I must have messed something up installing or removing packages, because your dock isn't working as awesome as it was before. For some reason, I seem to "lose" icons for the file manager and geany after I open the programs. The icons get replaced by little photos with x's on them. I don't know why.

Any ideas on how to fix this minor irritation?

Thanks
Attachments
capture26788.png
(5.63 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
The Way of the Samurai