Successor to Wary 5.5?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Pelo

#16 Post by Pelo »

I loaded and took glance at Ovprecise. Wary 5.5 is not the same family
For Old computers as my ACER aspire (born 2004) Wary 5.5 does the best a Puppy can do ( Dpup exprimo and Saluki are alternatives)

darkcity

#17 Post by darkcity »

What is the best way of running youtube on older computers with around 256Mb?

You need flash or html5, how does chrome run?

Maybe a standalone youtube player application would be best?

starhawk

#18 Post by starhawk »

"Real" Chrome (ie Google Chrome) requires a 64-bit system. Older versions (which will automatically update and break) require at least a Pentium 4 CPU.

Chromium is nearly identical, and available in 32bit form, but the way it's compiled, it still will not work on anything older than a P4. You would have to compile it yourself (which, from what I've heard, is a real doozy) for an older CPU target (such as i386) if you wanted it to work on older systems.

Even then, because of its memory requirements -- not a good idea.

Go with PaleMoon or SlimBoat if you don't mind an unmaintained browser or SlimJet if you can make it run.

Pelo

I will try with my ACER 1640,

#19 Post by Pelo »

dark city, hum... The important is what is on your screen. Moving pixels or not moving.. Any video should be difficult to watch, in my opinion.
Long time users of the forum should remember or browse the forum topics around 2006 or 2007 :)
I will try with my ACER 1640, but RAM is 512MB. not 256MB , :(
"Maybe a standalone youtube player application would be best?" yes, it would. Download video on your computer. The browser will not occupy RAM, and let the processor to use MBs in RAM only for the video..

s243a

#20 Post by s243a »

darkcity wrote:What is the best way of running youtube on older computers with around 256Mb?

Youtube works on seamonkey for Wary 5.5 stright out of the box. Youtube says it isn't supported but look for the button on the youtube website which says decline.

I would recomand for older PCs also getting one of the sfs versions of the browsers so you can unload it when you don't need it.

darkcity

#21 Post by darkcity »

thanks for the replies, i'll have a play 8)

jlst

#22 Post by jlst »

I use mpv+youtube-dl to watch youtube videos [smplayer is the gui].

I also use a low-powered pc, and i found that precise puppy is jthe bare minimum nowadays, i will never use wary again, i'd rather throw the hardware to the trash can.

I'd say a machine with 512MB of ram and below is not up to the task to run modern browsers and load a heavy page, but I do have 512MB of ram and basically i know what to do.

Pelo

512mb and 256MB are a big difference.

#23 Post by Pelo »

512mb and 256MB are a big difference. Processor need free space to work. With 256MB i am quite sure you can run the browser or play video, but not in same time. Video must be downloaded. Then you close the browser, and read your video.
The Puppy Linux used will not change that. the smaller the Puppy will be, the better is is. Old puppies like 421 would be my choice.

s243a

#24 Post by s243a »

jlst wrote:I use mpv+youtube-dl to watch youtube videos [smplayer is the gui].

I also use a low-powered pc, and i found that precise puppy is jthe bare minimum nowadays, i will never use wary again, i'd rather throw the hardware to the trash can.

I'd say a machine with 512MB of ram and below is not up to the task to run modern browsers and load a heavy page, but I do have 512MB of ram and basically i know what to do.
I've found the machines that I have which work good with precise work good with tahrpup. So, I would rather use Racy or Wary for older machines and Tahrpup for newer Machines.

Also since neither Wary or Precise are being maintained, I would rather put effort into a version that differs more significantly from the current maintained versions.

Maybe once tahrpup has reached the end of it's support stage then I will look again at precise.

Pelo

You will newer read videos and run a browser with 256MB

#25 Post by Pelo »

Medor, an expert with Puppy Linux has a computer with 256MB. ask him some feed back. Opera 12.16 would be the browser to use, he says.
The best choice
would be Toutou 436, a renewed version of Puppy 431 (frisbee for wireless connections) . but it a french one (Brexit !). Try it, the Golden Puppy click the blue
Tested on Fujitsu Siemens Stylistic ST50
Attachments
1012442.jpg
Some puppies run successfully on these old tablets
(62.69 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Wolx-LXP-0.5.10.jpg
Opera, LXDE, and Wolx (wary 5.5) by Medor > ram used 256MB
(67.24 KiB) Downloaded 210 times

s243a

#26 Post by s243a »

darkcity wrote:What is the best way of running youtube on older computers with around 256Mb?

Another alternative which I didn't mention above is firefox-28

There appears to be what I think is a Japanese version here:
http://shinobar.server-on.net/puppy/opt/

It might be possible to switch the locale in about:config. Unfortunately, I did something so it is no longer loading so I can't test this theory.