LxPupSc: Woof-CE, Slackware-Current, LXDE build 13-Jun-2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mistfire

#886 Post by mistfire »

@peebee so it means that 32-bit linux are vulnerable to meltdown attack?

peebee

#887 Post by peebee »

Back to 64-bit kernel with thanks to @Marv and to FatDog64 and @jamesbond

Interim delta +4 to LxPupSc-18.01+4T-k64.iso

- kernel 4.14.13 64-bit with CONFIG_PAGE_TABLE_ISOLATION=y
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

#888 Post by Marv »

Got it. Delta applied, md5sum correct, installed to Fujitsu S761 laptop (2nd gen i5). Both pristine and update of scrubbed +2T savefile done and checked for kpti patches and ucode loading capability. OK on all counts. Pristine checked through timezone setup, SNS connection and firewall setup, sound, video resolution, savefile creation, and reboot. OK on all counts. I'll check CD, DVD, and other hardware later. Also swap into my Artful, LxArtful, and XFCEXenial pups. Looks good!

A note on the ucode loading: There is not yet ucode for spectre mitigation for the 2nd gen i5 in the Jan 8 Intel update; but there is newer code than in my CPU so I can check the original microcode, force a late update (intel-ucode folder added to /lib/firmware) with

Code: Select all

echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/microcode/reload
and see that the microcode has been updated. Once satisfied with the setup, having the relevant intel-ucode file in /lib/firmware and the code line above in rc.local will ensure late loading on boot. I'm more used to doing it that way (late) and updating the ucode pkg. is simpler for me. As of now (and maybe forever) there is no mitigation code for any of the 3 classes of intel CPUs I run. See here for an explanation of early and late ucode loading: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 149#980149

Thanks,

Edit: Later, kernel swapped into pups listed above. All good.
Edit2: Later, above done on core 2 duo laptop and Bay Trail desktop. All OK there also. Link to jamesbonds explanation of early and late loading added.
Edit3: Later, confirmed use of 'force' line in rc.local on boot in all & added note on that.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#889 Post by peebee »

CAUTION: only try this in a new frugal install!!

Updated 22-jan2018

For anybody who would like to try @gyro's new initrd approach based on overlayfs instead of aufs ......

Apply the delta to the LxPupSc-18.01T-k64.iso to produce LxPupSc-18.01+6-k64-overlayfs.iso

Do a frugal install but in addition to the usual files copy 2 extra files into the frugal directory:
BOOT_SPECS
overlay_mods.sfs

Make sure your kernel boot line in for example menu.lst contains both pdrv= and psubdir= parameters. e.g.

kernel /overlayfs/vmlinuz  pmedia=atahd pdrv=sda4 psubdir=overlayfs
where my frugal directory is overlayfs and resides on partition sda4

Note that sfs handling and shutdown are different to aufs based pups. Also initial timezone is set to Pacific-Kiritimati as recommended by @01micko.
8. Reboot to enjoy the new working puppy.
To modify the list of extra sfs's that "init" tries to mount, use "Extra-SFS manager".
To modify the list of system sfs's that "init" tries to mount, use "System-SFS manager".
To change some of the boot characteristics, use "Pfix parameter manager".
To change "save" to a different mechanism or change the location of the savefolder, use "Saveconfig".
What needs to be tested:

1) That it does successfully boot current woof-ce based Puppies, i.e. they boot to the desktop.

2) Are there any Puppy utilities, other than the patched ones included in "overlay_mods.sfs", that are broken by this "init"?
Please don't bother telling me about "sfs_load" or "snapmergepuppy", these are incompatible with overlayfs.

3) That the booted Puppies work the same as when they are booted with their release "init".
While I have done many, many boots as part of this project, I haven't sustainably used the resultant Puppy.
I plan to setup a Puppy I can use as my daily workhorse and boot it with this "init".
Please report any test results on @gyro's thread.
Last edited by peebee on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 11:43, edited 2 times in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Sailor Enceladus

#890 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Strange, you are using a 32-bit OS but with a 64-bit kernel? I think this is the first time anyone tried to release something like this in a puppy (?), surprised it works. :) Wonder if this will work on my Pentium M laptop or I'll get something like this:

Might try it later, unless someone beats me to it.

westwest

palemoon

#891 Post by westwest »

Hi, the option to "open download location" in palemoon brings up the dir2pet script.
This happens in both tarball and sfs versions of palemoon...
Frugal install to hd, lxpupsc 18.01+3T-32pae.

westwest

palemoon

#892 Post by westwest »

Problem solved, edited the mimelist...

Marv

#893 Post by Marv »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:Strange, you are using a 32-bit OS but with a 64-bit kernel? I think this is the first time anyone tried to release something like this in a puppy (?), surprised it works. :) Wonder if this will work on my Pentium M laptop or I'll get something like this:

Might try it later, unless someone beats me to it.
The use of a 64-bit kernel in LxPupSc goes back to here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 510#962510. I've also sucessfully used the 64-bit LxPupSc kernels in a number of other pups since then, both 32-bit and 64-bit. And yep, it's only for true 64-bit CPUs so the Pentium Ms won't run it.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#894 Post by peebee »

Reuploaded 18-jan-18 with reverted glib2

Interim delta +5 to LxPupSc-18.01+5T-k64.iso

- kernel 4.14.14

- Slackware Current to Wed Jan 17 21:36:23 UTC 2018 less glib2
Updated.....
:ca-certificates:
:cups-filters:
:gawk:
:gtk+:
:gvfs:
:iw:
:kmod:
:libnftnl:
:librsvg:
:libsoup:
:mesa:
:libsigsegv:
:libtasn1:
:mpfr:

Palemoon-27.7.0 also available for download
Last edited by peebee on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 08:32, edited 5 times in total.

Marv

#895 Post by Marv »

+4T updated to +5T on the i5 Fujitsu S761. md5sum correct, no issues noted, using it as the main daily with your Slimjet-as-spot SFS onboard. Since mesa changed, I looked at video performance and benchmarks vs +4T since I'd just done a set and saw no differences. Kernel 4.14.14 (& 4.9.77) should have retpoline patches backported so I wanted as close to an apples-to- apples comp as I could get for when that shows up. Not testing the overlayFS fork as I use SFS-load-on-the-fly and snapmerge a LOT.

Cheers,

Edit: networked HP4500 printer continues to print fine. Doing PDF taxcrap :(

peebee

#896 Post by peebee »

+5 reuploaded 18-jan-18 with reverted glib2

bit later: also kernel 4.14.14

peebee

#897 Post by peebee »

Interim delta +6 to LxPupSc-18.01+6T-k64.iso

- 64-bit kernel 4.14.14 with CONFIG_PAGE_TABLE_ISOLATION=y

- Slackware Current to Sat Jan 20 16:00:51 UTC 2018
Last edited by peebee on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

Marv

#898 Post by Marv »

+5 (original upload) savefile scrubbed and updated to +6. md5sum correct, SNS connection, video, sound, lidsuspend, printing all ok on S761 i5 laptop. CPU & memory use at idle unchanged. No CPU race condition seen loading and using LibreOffice 5.3.7. Original +5 gave 36% on this hardware. Looking at the 4.14.14 kernel mostly. No ucode from intel for this i5 so no change on that front. The retpoline patches show up as enabled in the kernel but for full support it requires compiling with GCC compiler 8.0, probably also backported to 7.3. Those compilers may also change the Spectre 1 mitigation. FWIW the output of the spectre-meltdown-checker script is attached.

Other than chasing intels tail along with the rest of the world, it seems a happy LxSc puppy.

Edit: Using glxgears, CPU cryptohash, and FPU raytracing I see no measurable change in cryptohash or raytracing adding retpoline to kpti and a 5% increase in glxgears FPS. All pretty near noise and well less than pup-to-pup differences on this same hardware.
Attachments
'online'.png
(67.26 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
'offline'.png
(35.64 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

peebee

#899 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:The retpoline patches show up as enabled in the kernel but for full support it requires compiling with GCC compiler 8.0, probably also backported to 7.3. Those compilers may also change the Spectre 1 mitigation. FWIW the output of the spectre-meltdown-checker script is attached.
Hi Marv

I'm struggling to identify a 64-bit puppy with GCC-7...... All seem to have GCC-4 or GCC-5 (i.e. Fatdog, Slacko64 and XenialPup64) (Pyro64 has GCC-6.3.0 I think)......I'm currently compiling with Slacko64 which provides GCC-5.3.0 in its devx.

LxPupSc of course has GCC-7 but is 32-bit so no good for kernel compiling....

I have done a kernel compile using Porteus-v4.0-RC1 which does have the GCC-7 compiler - mainly to see if it changed the kernel size (which it didn't). Sadly I've since deleted it.

Cheers
peebee

peebee

#900 Post by peebee »

Delta for overlayfs experiment is updated to @gyro's v0.2 - see above

peebee

#901 Post by peebee »

Interim delta +7 to LxPupSc-18.01+7T-k64.iso

- 64-bit kernel 4.14.15 with CONFIG_PAGE_TABLE_ISOLATION=y

- Slackware Current to Sun Jan 28 04:44:45 UTC 2018

And also available....
firefox-52.6.0esr
firefox-58.0.1
Last edited by peebee on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 23:29, edited 5 times in total.

Marv

#902 Post by Marv »

+7T delta applied, md5sum correct. Installed to the i5 based laptop both as a pristine (frugal Grub4Dos set up wrt timezone etc., SNS wifi, some theme fiddling, EXT2 savefile creation and reboot) and as an update to my +6T savefile. Both boot and run cleanly. No CPU race condition in LibreOffice 5.3.7. Kernel inches forward wrt patches. kpti patches on board (meltdown mitigation). Lfence count (spectre 1 variant mitigation) is up from 46 in 4.14.14 to 67 in 4.14.15. Target seems to be 70?? As in 4.14.14, kernel is retpoline aware but needs a retpoline compiler yet. No changes in benchmarks seen from 4.14.14 on identical hardware, LxPupSc 18.01 in both cases. Posting from Light on the pristine/newsavefile pup.

# inxi -bw
System: Host: puppypc20516 Kernel: 4.14.15-lxpup64 x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.6.1) Distro: LxPup-Sc 18.01
Machine: Device: laptop System: FUJITSU product: LIFEBOOK S761 serial: R1Y00453
Mobo: FUJITSU model: FJNB225
UEFI [Legacy]: FUJITSU // Phoenix v: Version 1.17 date: 03/14/2012
Battery CMB1: charge: 67.0 Wh 100.0% condition: 67.0/67.0 Wh (100%)
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-2520M (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 1022/2501 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.org 1.19.6 drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,vesa)
tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (Lewisville)
driver: e1000e
Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
driver: ath9k
Drives: HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (3.7% used)
Weather: Conditions: 22 F (-5 C) - Overcast Time: January 24, 9:48 AM CST
Info: Processes: 139 Uptime: 20 min Memory: 341.0/5798.0MB
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8

Thanks,

peebee

#903 Post by peebee »

Can anybody help to explain this difference between LXDE/Openbox and JWM??

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 530#981530

peebee

#904 Post by peebee »

Interim delta +8 to LxPupSc-18.01+8T-k64.iso

Definitely experimental!

- 64-bit kernel 4.15.0 compiled with GCC-7.3.0

- Slackware Current to Mon Jan 29 20:56:56 UTC 2018

On my AMD desktop there is a "do_IRQ: 0.55" message but boot seems to complete successfully.

On my Intel laptop there is no do_IRQ message and I get:

# grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1:Vulnerable
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full generic retpoline
Last edited by peebee on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.

Marv

#905 Post by Marv »

Up and running (in the experimental bootslot :) ) on the intel i5 based laptop. md5sum correct, no do_IRQ message, and meltdown and spectre 2 mitigation confirmed. No spectre 1 yet as you got. I ran an older version of the meltdown checker offline to do an Lfence count and it got 63. It's target is 70 for spectre 1 mitigation. I don't know what the kernel folks use as adequate for a mitigation for spectre 1. Timed out for now, off to the vet. More checks later. First kernel I've seen with spectre 2 mitigation :) :) :)

THANKS!

edit: Quickly tested performance delta of the full retpoline kernel vs the kpti kernel, both LxPupSc 64-bit kernels on LxPupSc 18.01, same hardware and governor setup etc. I used 3 run averages of glxgears, CPU Cryptohash, and FPU Raytracing in both setups. The changes I see on the i5 laptop above going to the full retpoline kernel from the kpti/retpoline enabled kernel were:
glxgears FPS: -7%
CPU Cryptohash: -19%
FPU Raytracing: -18%
Seems clearly some but not unmanageable or out of line with what I see pup-to-pup on the same hardware. I use a little script here in my common applications bin to access the sysFS info to save my pore brain remembering where to grep..