Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 20:32
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
LxPupSc - Woof-CE, Slackware-Current, LXDE experiment
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 57 of 58 [858 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 55, 56, 57, 58 Next
peebee

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov 2017, 08:06    Post subject: LxPupSc-17.11.1T-k64  

LxPupSc-17.11.1T-k64 is a 32-bit woof-ce 'testing' branch build with a 64-bit kernel (therefore only compatible with 64-bit capable processors)

LxPupSc-17.11.1T-k64.iso {devx} - (devx does not include kernel sources or headers) {kernel 4.13.10-lxpup64 sources}
iso md5 = 9bb8594c0796c4b9503e11a0ebcda73a

Delta from 17.10.1T is available

- kernel 4.13.10 64-bit (alternative 32-bit kernels 3.16.x 4.4.x & 4.9.x also available - all need firmware in the fdrv)
- Made from Slackware-Current as of Tue Oct 31 23:53:38 UTC 2017
- BUILD_FROM_WOOF='testing;5f4e35ba;2017-10-31 22:27:46 +0100'
- web browser in adrv is light-48.0
- firmware is in fdrv
- alternative fall-back xorg is in ydrv (no need to install unless needed)

**N.B. the 64-bit kernel means that any kernel drivers have to be built in a true 64-bit system - slacko64 with the LxPupSc kernel and it's own devx is suggested but use the kernel sources above

Woof-CE build repository is: http://smokey01.com/peebee/slackocurrent/

Chromium, Firefox, Palemoon and Seamonkey are in the repository and installable via Internet -> Get Web Browser

The versions of the browsers as of 30-oct-2017 with their md5sums are:
chromium_62.0.3202.75+pepper_27.0.0.183 RUN-AS-SPOT :2b639fdbcdc680da3901522cdd3fa187
firefox-52.4.1esr :97451d4fdee2208a4fe92815a5b9678c
palemoon-27.5.1 :c03c82981e8a110b0d5b199034d14b2d
seamonkey-2.48 :05b91afef8b60bda21343a45da0aae49

firefox-56, slimjet, vivaldi and min are also available
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   121.57 KB
 Viewed   1131 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

Last edited by peebee on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 15:38; edited 3 times in total
belham2

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov 2017, 09:01    Post subject: Re: LxPupSc-17.11.1T-k64  

peebee wrote:
LxPupSc-17.11.1T-k64 is a 32-bit build with a 64-bit kernel (therefore only compatible with 64-bit capable processors)

**N.B. the 64-bit kernel means that any kernel drivers have to be built in a true 64-bit system - slacko64 with it's own devx is suggested but use the kernel sources above

Hi Peebee,

Applied delta from 17.10.1 to 17.11.1, all seemed to go fine. Took resulting 17.11.1 ISO, clicked on it, and copied over to the existing 17.10.23 'frugal' folder the new fdrv, ydrv, zdrv, puppy, initrd & vmlinuz. Corrected the grub4dos mennu.lst, and with your chromium.sfs in there too, all seems to running good. Thanks!

Hey, Peebee, I also have a question, and please excuse any stupidityignorance in not understanding this Embarassed . Every time I read a release post of one of LxPupSc, I am struck by the two lines I highlighted above. Since these creations cannot run on 32-bit processors, without the user going through a bit of gymnastics (which, to be honest, I cannot see the vast majority of users doing), what is the reasoning behind not just going to a full "64-bit" release or forgoing all things related to 32-bit? Is it because of software availability, or kernels and/or drivers? Or is it because the way you set things up for LxPupSc make it run or operate 'faster' than 64-bit OSes? Or what else...???? I do know if you went to full '64-bit' it sure would make the browser situation much easier, as people could just download themselves the 64-bit browser they llike and/or want to use. In my mind, I think I asked this once before a year or two ago, but I'll be danged if I can now remember and/or find the post when you explained it to me. Thanks for any quick explanation.
LxPupSc_17.11.1.png
 Description   
 Filesize   72.33 KB
 Viewed   1151 Time(s)

LxPupSc_17.11.1.png

peebee

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov 2017, 12:02    Post subject: Re: LxPupSc-17.11.1T-k64  

belham2 wrote:
what is the reasoning behind not just going to a full "64-bit" release or forgoing all things related to 32-bit?

Very mundane....
I like 32-bit because all 32-bit systems are basically similar architecture wrt lib directories and there is a wealth of 32-bit puppy applications available on the forum so I'm free to pick and choose components from multiple sources....
I don't like 64-bit for the converse reason that there seem to be many lib64 architectures which are mutually incompatible and therefore apps are specific to build (viz: fatdog, slacko, xenial...)
I had problems with the 32-bit kernel 4.13 builds as they crashed on some laptops when inserting cd/dvds - the 64-bit builds based on BarryK's config don't so crash and seem to work fine with 32-bit systems so that is the way I went - if I could fix the 32-bit config to fix the crash I'd go back to 32-bit pae.

foxpup

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov 2017, 13:27    Post subject: efi 64bit and 32bit kernels  

peebee, it suits me fine you use a 64bit kernel because of another reason:
My new machine is 64bit EFI.
64 bit EFI cannot boot 32bit kernels; 64bit kernels I can simply add to the grub.cfg and they will (efi)boot.
If I want to boot a 32bit kernel, I have to insert a usb-stick with a legacy/grub4dos booting installation on it to boot from that.

(noob) Question:
Could I swap a 64bit-kernel (and zdrv) into a 32bit build just like that? Or is there more to it?
peebee

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov 2017, 05:48    Post subject:  

Interim delta +1 to LxPupSc-17.11+1T-k64.iso is here already....

- kernel 4.13.11
- openssl-1.0.2m and new Cups from Slackware Current

Slight different approach to interim deltas - no longer a version update - makes life easier all round - just generate the new .iso from the .delta, open the new .iso and overwrite the updated files in your frugal install - reboot.

In this case because its a kernel bump the 3 files to overwrite are puppy*.sfs, zdrv*.sfs and vmlinuz

peebee

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov 2017, 04:45    Post subject:  

+1 interim delta updated - openssl-solibs-1.0.2m appeared a bit later....

foxpup wrote:
Question: Could I swap a 64bit-kernel (and zdrv) into a 32bit build just like that? Or is there more to it?

No more to it - try it and see? zdrv & vmlinuz....

belham2

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov 2017, 07:45    Post subject:  

Hi Peebee,

Have three dumb questions, two based on pic below, and one separate:

1) top of pic, is Rox, showing the Spot directory with what I'm used to (visually) see as Spot: The Dog! Yet, in PcManFm, the spot directory is a folder, same color as all other folders. Can I assign the spot.png (it is in /root/spot itself) to this pcmanfm folder so I can visually & quickly pick out the spot folder? If so, how? I am right-clicking on the spot folder in pcmanfm, but not seeing how to change things.

2) Every time I frugal install LXPupSc, I get two files in /root that I have no idea why they are generated, and why they persist. Can i just delete them with no ill consequences?

3) Regarding the Chromium+with pepperflash SFSes you put up in the other murga thread: will those Chromiun32 builds of yours play Netflix? Like the new 32-builds of Firefox do since Netflix enabled DRM and FF includes it natively now??

Thanks.

P.S. Applied latest delta (Interim delta +1 to LxPupSc-17.11+1T-k64.iso) and all seems good.
Screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   88.07 KB
 Viewed   878 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg

peebee

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov 2017, 08:38    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Hi Peebee,

1) top of pic, is Rox, showing the Spot directory with what I'm used to (visually) see as Spot: The Dog! Yet, in PcManFm, the spot directory is a folder, same color as all other folders. Can I assign the spot.png (it is in /root/spot itself) to this pcmanfm folder so I can visually & quickly pick out the spot folder? If so, how? I am right-clicking on the spot folder in pcmanfm, but not seeing how to change things.

2) Every time I frugal install LXPupSc, I get two files in /root that I have no idea why they are generated, and why they persist. Can i just delete them with no ill consequences?

3) Regarding the Chromium+with pepperflash SFSes you put up in the other murga thread: will those Chromiun32 builds of yours play Netflix? Like the new 32-builds of Firefox do since Netflix enabled DRM and FF includes it natively now??

Thanks.

P.S. Applied latest delta (Interim delta +1 to LxPupSc-17.11+1T-k64.iso) and all seems good.

1. ROX knows about a hidden file .DIRicon whereas PcManFM doesn't
2. would think so - try it?
3. no - probably needs addition of widevine plugin - http://slackware.uk/people/alien/slackbuilds/chromium-widevine-plugin/pkg/current/

belham2

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov 2017, 13:28    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
belham2 wrote:
Hi Peebee,

Thanks.

1. ROX knows about a hidden file .DIRicon whereas PcManFM doesn't
2. would think so - try it?
3. no - probably needs addition of widevine plugin - http://slackware.uk/people/alien/slackbuilds/chromium-widevine-plugin/pkg/current/

Hi again Peebee,

So Radky's just released dpup has the exact same pcmanfm, yes?, so why does that pcmanfm see a nice, distinctive, easy-to-find icon, yet the pcmanfm in LxPupSc ".....pcmanfm doesn't know about hidden file"?

I'm not trying to be a pest, but it is a major pain-in-the-a##, when doing things in LxPupSc, and I've got to get into the "Spot" directly frequently, and I've got to spend 10-20 secs searching for the damn "spot" folder because it looks like all the other ones.

If Radky (and other installs of pcmanfm can do it), like with the "Root"folder below, how can it be made to happen in LxPupSc for the "spot" directory?? Confused Doesn't make sense.....ya think I could make some sort of .dsktop file with an icon, and have it be able to open "Spot"? My eyes are getting old (hence why I always asked about redshift, and also large DPI and icons and larger menus) Crying or Very sad
same-pcmanfm-as-in-radkys-dpup-yet-there-is-a-distinctive-root-folder-icon.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   167.39 KB
 Viewed   822 Time(s)

same-pcmanfm-as-in-radkys-dpup-yet-there-is-a-distinctive-root-folder-icon.jpg

peebee

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov 2017, 13:37    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
If Radky (and other installs of pcmanfm can do it), like with the "Root"folder below, how can it be made to happen in LxPupSc for the "spot" directory?? Confused

Different icon set - with a more distinctive special icon for the root directory....

Last edited by peebee on Sun 05 Nov 2017, 15:44; edited 1 time in total
peebee

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov 2017, 15:39    Post subject:  

@Belham2 - you could make use of .desktop files to provide access to directories with a custom icon....
e.g. make spot.desktop
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Spot
Icon=/root/spot/spot.png
Exec=defaultfilemanager /root/spot
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   38.65 KB
 Viewed   736 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

peebee

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov 2017, 04:29    Post subject:  

Interim delta +3 to LxPupSc-17.11+3T-k64.iso

Kernel 4.14.0 (but without this patch - quote: "needed by some third-party drivers, according to Barry Kauler")
Code:
System:    Kernel: 4.14.0-lxpup64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.6.1) dm: N/A Distro: LxPup-Sc 17.11.1

peebee

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov 2017, 07:27    Post subject:  

Sorry folks - retrovol was NBG in interim delta +2

+3 fixes.

yuan

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov 2017, 06:34    Post subject: LxPup Session problem  

Hi Peebee,

I started LxPup Session Control, press the Suspend button, the system did not respond; press the Log out button, the system can not enter X window, do not know how to do, I hope you get help.
Thank you.

screen display:

Exited from X.Tyoe "xwin [jwm]" to restart X ([ ] mean optional).
Tyoe "xwin -default [jwm]" to restart X with the default xorg.conf
-
(To shutdown PC tyoe "poweroff", to reboot PC type "reboot")
If X failed to start, type "xorgwizard" to setup X
#
peebee

PostPosted: Fri 17 Nov 2017, 05:42    Post subject: Re: LxPup Session problem  

yuan wrote:
I started LxPup Session Control, press the Suspend button, the system did not respond; press the Log out button, the system can not enter X window, do not know how to do, I hope you get help.

Hi
Is this a laptop or a desktop? Some desktops cannot suspend....
To get back to desktop type - xwin

Page 57 of 58 [858 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 55, 56, 57, 58 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: