Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 21 Oct 2017, 12:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
LxPupSc - Woof-CE, Slackware-Current, LXDE experiment
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 43 of 56 [839 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, ..., 54, 55, 56 Next
mistfire

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb 2017, 08:38    Post subject:  

@peebee I noticed that the vmlinuz filesize was increased by 2Mb. Is there any way to make it smaller without recompiling the kernel?
peebee

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb 2017, 09:32    Post subject:  

mistfire wrote:
@peebee does the 4.10.1 kernel is a vanilla linux with puppy patched? I tested it on my x-slacko slim and it works fine. Does the kernel modules of the kernel that you compiled is complete or there are missing kernel modules on it?

Hi mistfire

It is a woof-CE kernel-kit build so is patched for aufs and puppy.

I build without any extra firmware in the zdrv so my kernels need to have the fdrv installed as well....the fdrv is in any 17.02 iso and just needs renaming appropriately. Cannot guarantee 100% completeness of modules....it has what my config files specify should be included - if something is missing I can consider adding.

vmlinuz has not grown in this build - still 5.2MB which it has been since 4.7.6 at least (the oldest I have to check).

Cheers
peebee

Marv

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb 2017, 09:35    Post subject: Re: LxPupSc-17.02.23T interim delta  

mavrothal wrote:
Marv wrote:
My savefiles from earlier versions (ran ok in 21T and 22T) hung at the "performing a 'switch root' to the layered FS" until I used the 22T fresh savefile as a template to clean out the bins sbins, and rc.d in the earlier ones. Cruft. With that done, updates and boots are perfect there also.

Happened to me too, but after a hard reboot everything worked fine and the update was already done.
Triggered the update again changing the version in DISTRO_SPECS and everything breezed through.
So I thought was just a freak freeze.
Apparently not.
Let's see if it is going to happen with the next version too before start digging.

I did a bit of looking at savefile contents on creation, after reboot no update, and after update and I think rc.update could be more selective about putting system scripts in the savefile when they haven't been modified or permissions changed. I have a modded update script running and will use it for a few updates. Where best to persue that?

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy X-slacko 4.4 and X-tahr 2.0 for my users; LxPupSc,LxPupXenial & XFCE_XenialPup64 for me. All good pups indeed, and all running browsers, office etc. solely from SFS.
mistfire

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb 2017, 09:49    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
vmlinuz has not grown in this build - still 5.2MB which it has been since 4.7.6 at least (the oldest I have to check).

I compared that file size against linux 3.x kernel which was currently used by slacko.
mistfire

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb 2017, 10:19    Post subject:  

@Peebee I have a question does linux firmware files are linux version independent and backward compatible? I mean the firmware file from the older linux version will it work on the newer kernel?
peebee

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb 2017, 10:49    Post subject: Re: LxPupSc-17.02.23T interim delta  

Marv wrote:
.... I have a modded update script running and will use it for a few updates. Where best to persue that?

Hi Marv
It should be submitted to woof-CE as a change request once tested. I'm sure @mav can do that for you if you don't want to venture there yourself....or I can if he can't - pm us the changed file....

FYI - I made a 17.02.1T savefolder and then upgraded to 17.02.23T and didn't have any issues....upgrade and reboot proceded as expected...

@mistfire - yes, yes and yes - firmware is independent of kernel version.

Marv

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb 2017, 11:20    Post subject: Kernel-4.10.1  

Swapped this in, run as pristine, then using a 'fresh' 22T-23T updated savefile, then my ancient but cleaned full savefile. All good. FPS numbers 1630, CPU idle and base memory numbers the same or maybe a bit lower than 4.9.x, video resolution, sound all normal on the all intel core 2 duo laptop. I'll run with it now on that laptop and check it on the older Pentium M and the newer Bay Trail later.

I'll follow my modded rc.update through a few more updates before I do anything with it but so far it seems more 'rational'.

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy X-slacko 4.4 and X-tahr 2.0 for my users; LxPupSc,LxPupXenial & XFCE_XenialPup64 for me. All good pups indeed, and all running browsers, office etc. solely from SFS.
mistfire

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb 2017, 11:52    Post subject:  

@Peebee thank you very much. I also try swapped and modify DISTRO_SPECS of the latest initrd from lxpup for my X-Slacko Slim. It works on boot, however it fail t to detect savefiles but on lxpupsc loading savefile is working. Any ideas to fix that problem on initrd?
mistfire

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb 2017, 19:50    Post subject:  

I figured out why my pupsave failed to load from the lxpup's initrd

If the PMEDIA is not specified or not set to "cd", the LOOK_SAVE variable does not set to "yes" and every probed mounted partition does not search for savefile
peebee

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb 2017, 02:59    Post subject:  

mistfire wrote:
I figured out why my pupsave failed to load from the lxpup's initrd

If the PMEDIA is not specified or not set to "cd", the LOOK_SAVE variable does not set to "yes" and every probed mounted partition does not search for savefile

See:
How to use the file specification boot parameters as supported in the new init:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109650

and

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/commits/testing/initrd-progs/0initrd

Marv

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb 2017, 21:23    Post subject: Kernel-4.10.1  

Peebee,
Updated a couple of frugal installs on the Pentium M laptop. One from 17.02.22T and one from 17.02.1T. Both the 4.10.1 and the 4.4.45 kernels boot correctly and run well in all aspects except that on that hardware the 4.10.1 kernel continues to lock up on suspend and have 1/3 the FPS compared to the 4.4.45 kernel. The same behavior as seen with all of the 4.9.x kernels. Running the version with the 4.4.45 kernel now. Perfect.

Both of the savefiles involved had had several updates and I was able to replicate, understand, and solve the lockup-on-update issue that mavrothal and I saw. The key is at having done at least one update prior to the 17.02.23T update and the files that rc.update adds into the savefile at each update. I'll PM you with the details.

Cheers,

peebee

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 14:11    Post subject: LxPupSc-17.03.1T  

Re-uploaded 4-mar-17

LxPupSc-17.03.1T is a 32-bit pae woof-ce 'testing' branch build

LxPupSc-17.03.1T.iso {devx} - does not include kernel sources or headers {kernel 4.10.1-lxpup sources}
iso md5 = f9a3f4003bfd3aa1b6cf3904551f6c7f

Delta is available

- kernel 4.10.1 (alternative kernel 4.4.52 also available)
- Made from Slackware-14.2/current as of Tue Feb 28 23:51:55 UTC 2017
- BUILD_FROM_WOOF='testing;edcbae2;2017-02-26 08:24:04 +0200' with patches
- web browser in adrv is light-48.0
- firmware is in fdrv
- alternative fall-back xorg is in ydrv (no need to install unless needed)

Woof-CE build repository is: http://smokey01.com/peebee/slackocurrent/

Chromium, Firefox, Opera, Palemoon and Seamonkey are in the repository and installable via Internet -> Get Web Browser

The versions of the browsers as of 8-mar-2017 with their md5sums are:

chromium-56.0.2924.87+pepper_24.0.0.221 :e04ab8a7ffd000f2534dbd3e9add39b9

firefox-45.8.0esr :0fbab8e715e01e5c4171e27ba783ce6e

opera-stable_43.0.2442.1144_i386 :c7f11979cf02947bcdf6e427bb79c483

palemoon-27.1.2 :adf163e2d3ee43ecb04e8c3fa5f21966

seamonkey-2.46 :a7e8216ba4821129798b80a16d459b67

Last edited by peebee on Mon 13 Mar 2017, 04:36; edited 9 times in total
Marv

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 16:09    Post subject: LxPupSc-17.03.1T  

Delta downloaded and applied. md5sum of generated iso correct. Updated 17.02.23T install (savefile based) on the core 2 duo laptop so far to 17.03.1T. Update went normally, savefile checked after reboot (copy made and mounted to check) and is clean wrt the relevant system files as it was before. PM sent about possible savefile/savefolder clarification...

cheers,

mavrothal

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 17:03    Post subject: Re: LxPupSc-17.03.1T  

peebee wrote:

There is a problem booting 17.03.1 with savefolders that have been previously upgraded.

The boot sequence will freeze early in its sequence.

Actually the boot process goes on in the background fine and the files update OK.
It would appear that the console output freezes at the init switch root step (but keyboard is live) and X never starts after the update has finished in the background.
Is a strange problem Confused
I would first think the kernel. The problem first appear from 4.9.9 to 4.9.12. You may want to try 4.9.9 if you have it handy.
Also which was the woof commit for LxPupSc-17.02.22T ?

Marv

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 18:52    Post subject:  

@mavrothal - I just replicated the freeze a few more times. I used a 17.01.26 savefile that had the above referenced system files in it and updated to 17.02.23T as that has the original rc.update. The kernels I used were the stock 17.02.23T kernel and the 'alternative' 4.4.45 kernel. In both cases the boot froze at the same line as previously. Removing the 'system' files from the save file gave a normal completed update and boot for both kernels.

@peebee - To clean a savefile I either boot from another pup on the computer or make a copy of the savefile I want to clean/check in the same boot directory as the original. Either way, it must not be the savefile currently in use by the system. Then, mount it (singleclick in LxPupSc), then open current folder in terminal (in Tools in PCmanFM) and run the cleaner script. I keep one-off ragtag stuff like that in /root/My-applications/bin as it's in the system path but doesn't muck up the main dirs. When I've had a look at the rest of the savefile I then unmount it and if I remember run e2fsck on it. The nice thing about making a copy is that you can rename it to incorporate the number you are updating to, replace the SFS files, initrd.gz and vmlinuz with the new ones, reboot and choose the new savefile and have the old one as a fallback.

Page 43 of 56 [839 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, ..., 54, 55, 56 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: