LxPupSc: Woof-CE, Slackware-Current, LXDE build 13-Jun-2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

#1231 Post by peebee »

19.09+5 is available
551568faddbe26f29cdc7cd906006541 LxPupSc-19.09+5-uefi-T-k64.iso

see posts #1 and #2

Quite a significant change to resolve some touchpad problems (with thanks to @Marv for testing assistance).

xf86-input-evdev, xf86-input-synaptics are removed from build....

Real flSynclient is no longer in build.... if you have problems with touchpad settings then guidance is:

Use libinput list-devices to show the configuration options for local devices.
The following web pages provide guidance on configuration:
https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinpu ... igure_xorg
https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinpu ... ation.html
https://www.mankier.com/4/libinput

An example:
Create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/60-libinput.conf with contents:
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "MyTouchpad"
MatchIsTouchpad "on"
Driver "libinput"
Option "Tapping" "off"
Option "DisableWhileTyping" "true"
Option "HorizontalScrolling" "true"
Option "ScrollMethod" "edge"
EndSection
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rcrsn51

#1232 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you are looking for a GUI touchpad control app based on libinput, see here. It might be compatible with Slackware.

Marv

#1233 Post by Marv »

Back in the saddle again with suspends working :D 19.09+5 generated using the delta, md5sum correct. Tested both with the defaults and just as a test with my custom 60-libinput.conf added into the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory. As expected, the 60 has precedence over the 99. All touchpad mappings and suspend/resume working in both cases. Defaults are really quite good on this i5 based laptop with a synaptics touchpad. I'll probably run with them.

Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Marv

#1234 Post by Marv »

rcrsn51 wrote:If you are looking for a GUI touchpad control app based on libinput, see here. It might be compatible with Slackware.
Installed from the deb and quickly tested in LxPupSc 19.09 +5 on a laptop with a SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad. GUI comes up fine and tapping on/off and touchpad speed both are set correctly.

Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rcrsn51

#1235 Post by rcrsn51 »

Code: Select all

Option "DisableWhileTyping" "true"
Option "HorizontalScrolling" "true" 
Those two items are missing from TouchPad. I can make an update that includes them.

Marv

#1236 Post by Marv »

As a certified dinosaur I have used

Option "ScrollMethod" "edge"
though I'm ok with 2 finger scrolling of late so long as I can disable tap.

rcrsn51

#1237 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is a Puppy version of Touchpad.

Some of the options are ON by default., depending on the touchpad.

For example, turning on tapping should automatically get you clickfinger and two-finger scrolling.

I have NOT tested this on a Puppy with a touchpad. Other people will need to do the detailed testing.

Note: This is ONLY for Puppies that are using libinput instead of evdev.

There were reports of conflicts between libinput and lxinput. The Mouse section of Touchpad replaces most of the lxinput functionality.
Attachments
touchpad_puppy-1.9.2.pet
New Props button to see the touchpad properties
(5.71 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 19 Oct 2019, 09:20, edited 5 times in total.

Marv

#1238 Post by Marv »

touchpad_puppy-1.9.pet installed to LxPupSc 19.09 +5. I enabled and disabled tapping, switched the ScrollMethod and set several speeds. All worked on this 2nd generation i5 based Fujitsu S761 laptop. I appreciate the view capability you have in your programs. It's really nice to be able to quickly go to the relevant directory and look at the config files the GUI creates.

Thanks,

rcrsn51

#1239 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks for testing.

I'm not sure if the DisableWhileTyping option is even necessary. If the touchpad supports it, it will be on by default.

Otherwise, people can use the Touchpad control > Off button.

rcrsn51

#1240 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Marv: Puppy has a simpler way to restart X. I have posted a new version above.

Marv

#1241 Post by Marv »

rcrsn51 wrote:@Marv: Puppy has a simpler way to restart X. I have posted a new version above.
Got it. 1.9 uninstalled, 1.9.1 installed and run through its paces. Looks good.

The one thing I do miss from the synaptics drivers' bewildering array of options on this machine is the ability to set the touchpad pressure as on this hardware the pad is quite a bit too sensitive, particularly when using two finger scrolling. Presently not an option with libinput and the pretty clearly won't be added to it.

Thanks,

rcrsn51

#1242 Post by rcrsn51 »

Marv wrote:Presently not an option with libinput and the pretty clearly won't be added to it.
I'm guessing that it would be impossible to support that kind of option across all the non-synaptic touchpads, so they didn't try.

[Edit] I did find something called "quirks" that lets you fine-tune a touchpad.

[Edit-edit] Read here. Apparently, some Synaptics touchpads have a "fingers" option that you can set.

But none of mine had it. Maybe because the libinput driver doesn't recognize it.

rcrsn51

#1243 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Marv: I have posted a new version with a Props button.

It shows you the available touchpad properties, their current status and their default status.

This removes some guesswork over what options you need to select.

For example, turning on tapping should automatically get you clickfinger and two-finger scrolling.

peebee

#1244 Post by peebee »

Kernel Release: 5.3.7-lxpup64
Build Date: Fri Oct 18 07:19:15 BST 2019
Build GCC: 9.2.0
OS Support: GNU/Linux
Architecture: x86_64
SMP Enabled: Yes

Needs firmware (e.g. in fdrv)

From Here
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

#1245 Post by Marv »

@peebee: kernel 5.3.7-lxpup64 swapped into LxPupSc 19.09 +5. All system checks and mem/ssd throughput look good. 1% CPU and 164 Mb reported by lxtask at idle. Early loading of microcode is sucessful and mitigation is

l1tf:Mitigation: PTE Inversion
mds:Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable
meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
spec_store_bypass:Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP: conditional, RSB filling
Video FPS also good. I'll use it as the daily under the current LxPupSc

@rcrsn51: version 1.9.2 of touchpad-puppy looks great. Probably should have its' own thread. I see it as a viable flsynclient replacement in newer pups since the the synaptics driver pretty much isn't the default there any more. On the touchpad sensitivity issue, AccelProfile doesn't show in the props for my touchpad but I have experimented with flat and adaptive modes and my touchpad does settle better at the end of a move with the flat mode. Currently using

#    Option "AccelProfile" "adaptive"
      Option "AccelProfile" "flat"  
      Option "AccelSpeed" "0.10"
Cheers,

rcrsn51

#1246 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent! So you can just set a touchpad speed, then add the "flat" option to 41-libinput.conf?

Marv

#1247 Post by Marv »

rcrsn51 wrote:

Excellent! So you can just set a touchpad speed, then add the "flat" option to 41-libinput.conf?
That is how I did it but I then rooted around in the Archwiki entry pertaining to libinput and touchpad acceleration control and did some careful tests on my pad. In libinput world, pads that support "AccelProfile" should just force a speed of 0.0 for "flat" while "adaptive" just uses a different touchpad to screen mapping to get the speed. Not true acceleration as we were used to in the synaptics driver at all but more just a different overall mapping factor. So after a second look the AccelProfile seems redundant. As I see it right now, speed does all that the libinput driver is capable of. Leave 1.9.2 as is. With the supported props listed and the view capability it is very simple and fast to add a supported option not in the GUI list. Learning as I go coming from synapticsworld.

rcrsn51

#1248 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks. I set up a mouse with the "flat" profile and I really couldn't see any difference.

It actually listed Acceleration Profiles in its properties.

peebee

#1249 Post by peebee »

rcrsn51 wrote:Here is a Puppy version of Touchpad.
Many thanks @rcrsn51

Do you think it should be renamed? It has much wider applicability than just touchpad and as you say is libinput specific.

The screen rotation facilities are potentially dangerous as they can lead to formats that cannot be reversed out of. Perhaps they should have a confirmatory "Are you sure you want to do this" dialog before activating the change?

Attached is a mod to make the SCT frame dependent on the availability of sct in the build for your consideration.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
touchpad-false.gz
(10.27 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

rcrsn51

#1250 Post by rcrsn51 »

Feel free to fork the project into anything you want.