Slacko64-6.3.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Mike Walsh

#211 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Sailor.

Mm. You've got two advantages with Xenial, though; one, it's 'buntu-based.....and two, it's Phil developing it. He'll make it as compatibile as Tahr was.

There's no reference to anything to do with WINE in the Slacko repos at all.

Mike. :?

peebee

#212 Post by peebee »

Mike Walsh wrote: There's no reference to anything to do with WINE in the Slacko repos at all.
Mike. :?
Wine (32 & 64) for Slackware:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/f ... 0Packages/

I add the wine-extra-bits and make an sfs for 32-bit....
Attachments
wine-extra-bits.pet
(395 Bytes) Downloaded 287 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Mike Walsh

#213 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, peebee.

O-kay. Translation, please..! 'Wine-extra-bits'; what are these, exactly?

Mike. :wink:

peebee

#214 Post by peebee »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hiya, peebee.
O-kay. Translation, please..! 'Wine-extra-bits'; what are these, exactly?
Just adds an ms-dos-executable mime type....
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Mike Walsh

#215 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, peebee.

Mm-hm. 'Kay. I don't know if it's just me, but all that stuff you gave me the link to looks awfully like source code; 'make-files' all over the place. I've never compiled a thing in my life; wouldn't even know where to start.

(Actually, that's not strictly true; I did compile the 'gimp-gap' extension for the GIMP in Slacko 570.....but that was under CatDude's instruction. If he hadn't led me through it, literally step-by-step, I wouldn't have known what I was doing..!)

I later found out that it's in the repos of all the 'buntu-based Pups..!)

But if I'm right, and it is compiling, I'm guessing every single one of those folders has to be compiled, too. Looks like a very long and tedious business indeed..... (*sheesh*)

Do I really need WINE that badly ? I guess not..... :lol:

EDIT:- Just found out that AlienBob's done a version of WINE 1.8 for 14.1. I've downloaded it; I'll have a look at it later on...!

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 29 Aug 2016, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#216 Post by peebee »

Mike Walsh wrote: the link to looks awfully like source code
The link sent you to .txz files - which are loadable packages....
There is source on the same site but you don't need it....the .txz are compiled ready for slackware...

1.9.13 is the latest - 1.19.4 will appear soon as the source is there now.

e.g. https://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/f ... z/download

Mike Walsh

#217 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, peebee.

Well, problem sorted. I've got AlienBob's WINE 1.7.51 installed in Slacko64; I wanted to stick with the version that works so well with the two graphics apps I use so much; Mooi's 'PhotoScape', and Adobe's CS2 'Photoshop'.

The thing that threw me was the fact that the 64-bit versions have not only 'wine' in /usr/bin, but also 'wine64' Normally, you'd click on 'wine', followed by 'winecfg' to set it all up, and create the /root/.wine folder.....but in a 64-bit Pup, of course, you have to use 'wine64' instead'.....

Old habits die hard! :lol:

s243a

#218 Post by s243a »

In the first run settings, I'm not given the option to enable the fire wall.

On another note,I'm having wierd boot issues with my windows 8.1 machine (probably not slaco related). In the case of both grub4dos and unetbootin once the kernal was mounted and boot image loaded, it was as though it could no longer read the USB drive to find the sfs file.

Strangly though, now it is working. Perhaps the complete poweroff helped. This new bios stuff is a bit of a mistory to me.

I'm not sure whether it will or will not work the next time I try. I guess we'll see. **Note I am booting from a USB drive.

s243a

#219 Post by s243a »

I'm trying to install vitualbox.

I downloaded the SUSE version because I read that early slackware was most influenced by SUSE. Also it turns out there are tools to convert rpm to tgz available through the puppy package manager.

After doing this the tgz modula appears to install virtualbox.

Now I need to build the kernal moduals or virtualbox won't load. The following link suggests:

Code: Select all

modprobe vboxdrv
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread. ... el-upgrade

This didn't work. I remember phill explaining before how to build the kernal menu's for tahrpup. I can try to find the post. However, I don't know if these modules are included in slaco by default.

Perhaps first I should also see what sfs files I might need to load first before building the kernel modual menus.

gcmartin

#220 Post by gcmartin »

@S243a, on FirstRUN, there are several versions seen across the PUPPY spectrum. In the modern era of today, There is this version in Slacko/ThurPUP which is maintained by @01Micko AND there is a version from @BarryK. Further, for older PUPs with FirstRUN technology, there is @Shinobar's version which improved how PUP boots and how users have a clearer view of their startup requirements of their PUPs.

They have some similarities but are different in the scope each of these developers see as a need when starting any new PUP to support user needs. It appears that @01Micko intends that uses conscious of f/w will click the taskbar to control behavior of the firewall vs a blanket startup.

Beware, when using @BarryK's version as he has several. His most recent has a quirk which starts the firewall even when a users does not want it started because user's router provide a necessary firewall for one's network. He has acknowledged this problem and intends to fix his FirstRUN.

More info than asked.

s243a

#221 Post by s243a »

The desktop settings don't seem to be saving for me such as font size and the height of the menu items.

edit The settings seem to have saved the second time that I tried. Weird.
Last edited by s243a on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.

s243a

#222 Post by s243a »

Firefox keeps getting stuck behind the taskbar (or tray as I think it's called on linux). I'm not sure how to drag it down.

edit: Pressing F11 to go to full screen, and then moving the cursor to the top of the screen seemed to work for me.

Pelo

Demo video You Tube by Ivan Sampa Brazil

#223 Post by Pelo »

Slacko 64 Demo video You Tube by Ivan Sampa Brazil, Puppy Linux video maker. Listen to the music..
Attachments
Ivan Sampa.jpg
Not sure that Ivan Sampa is a registered member in the forum.
(83.96 KiB) Downloaded 725 times

Mike Walsh

#224 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

Was wanting to upgrade to the 4.2.5 kernel. There doesn't appear to be an Upgrade widget like there is in Tahr64. Does the 'change_kernels' script need to be run through the terminal?

Sailor Enceladus

#225 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Mike Walsh wrote:Does the 'change_kernels' script need to be run through the terminal?
That's how I do it. 2 minute job at most :)

Mike Walsh

#226 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Sailor.

No, it doesn't take long at all, does it? But after finding out that my entire WINE setup was broken (like completely non-functional..!), I reverted back to the old 4.1.11 kernel. It's not like I actually need the new kernel; I just wanted to see how easy it was to do.

bigpup

#227 Post by bigpup »

I have seen several people trying to use Slacko64 have problems with WIFI detection and setup.

This idea of having fdrv sfs, containing additional firmware, is the problem.
People new to Puppy do not really understand they need the fdrv or how to get it loaded to use. They just get discouraged and drop trying to use Slacko64.
Other versions of Puppy just have everything needed and work from first boot up.

fdrv sfs does not seem to be working very well for new users of Puppy.

I and others have tried to help them, but it seems they have a hard time understanding what they need to do.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#228 Post by Mike Walsh »

Here's a query for some of the more 'savvy' amongst you.

Why is it, when I install certain apps into Slacko64, that instead of text, I merely get a series of little square boxes, where the text should be? Is this perchance anything to do with GTK? Or Qt?

Any advice or info would be most welcome; something's obviously missing, but I wouldn't like to hazard a guess what.

gcmartin

#229 Post by gcmartin »

@Mike Walsh
you have a font issue.

@BigPup
+1 This could be positioned/documented for viewing so that users, especially new to adrv/fdrv/zdrv/SFSs are clear on it need(s) when it is needed, and how to implement in a pristine/Live environment.

More seasoned members are better suited without the steering required for understanding and what the signs are that signal a need for use.

I do understand what some/many of the developers are targeting; namely reduced boot timings as well as other logical considerations.

But, in gaining this trade off, developers impact a distros ability to give a complete operational entity upon desktop arrival.

Maybe with your post and comments from others, the developers can find some ways of getting users to a place of comfort or getting users to an OOTB place of information that can be helpful

An idea that I once thought to propose is whether upon completion of FirstRUN that the system could check for a wire in the active adapter or scan-able detection of WiFi sites which would be one kind of indicator if either or both of these adapters were discovered and present. If so, do nothing, while if not, alert the user. But models of PCs and Laptops over the years have changed and other scrutiny might need to be tested.

Sailor Enceladus

#230 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Mike Walsh wrote:Here's a query for some of the more 'savvy' amongst you.

Why is it, when I install certain apps into Slacko64, that instead of text, I merely get a series of little square boxes, where the text should be? Is this perchance anything to do with GTK? Or Qt?

Any advice or info would be most welcome; something's obviously missing, but I wouldn't like to hazard a guess what.

That also happened to me yesterday in Wine. In the jwm title bar was just squares, maybe it was an issue with the program itself, or because it was trying to run 640x400 full screen with the newer xorg 1.18 (which actually works for me unlike in the older one) and the lowest I'm supposed to be able to select (apparently) is 800x600. Heh. Now you've got me curious Mike.