Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 17 Dec 2018, 15:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Slacko64-6.3.0
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 13 of 16 [239 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
pri

PostPosted: Fri 04 Mar 2016, 05:18    Post subject: cannot detect wifi  

seem not lucky with wifi. this laptop is sony vaio pcg. 71318l 64bit windows 7 home edition.

but work ok using slacko 32bit. thks gota take it to work on tomorow morning. with operator cellular using debian but i will bring it there.

Semme

PostPosted: Fri 04 Mar 2016, 06:11    Post subject:  

Pri, to tether with your Android? Does it connect wired?

Run PupScan then copy'n paste the info for your net card.

pri

PostPosted: Fri 04 Mar 2016, 21:03    Post subject:  

On fatdog can use tathering via usb. Will try using slacko 64bit when got home.
pri

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar 2016, 01:28    Post subject: usb tathering  

conection to android using usb seem ok. posting on it. thks
Belham

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar 2016, 09:34    Post subject: Slacko64 6.3.0 openssl upgrade confusion  

Hi all,

Is there anyone that knows how to upgrade Slacko64 6.3.0's openssl, which is currently:

# openssl version -a
OpenSSL 1.0.1p 9 Jul 2015
built on: Thu Jul 9 12:59:08 2015
platform: linux-x86_64

I also use Slacko 5.7 (32-bit), and the repositories for that upgrading their openssl 1.0.1r to openssl 1.0.1s was just a click in the update menu and all was taken care of. In Slacko64, I can find written nowhere in the forums how to do this.

I saw Watchdog posted links for openssl 1.0.2f versions (new), but they were all i486.

I also found Musher posted .pets and sfs, but again, are they for 32-bit only, or 32 & 64-bit.

Thank you for any help, and sorry if I am not understanding something simple. I've managed to update all the other puppies I currently use, even the Tahr64 6.0.5, which, again, like the Slacko 5.7 version was just a simple click & upgrade to solve.

What and where (if there is one) is the openssl upgrade/fix for Slacko64 6.3.0??? Confused Is it in .pet format or an sfs somewhere? I am assuming nothing can be done about the glibc currently in Slacko64 6.3.0 (it is GNU libc 2.17), unlike Tahrpup 6.0.5 which not only updated to the openssl fix, but also updated the glibc from 0ubuntu6.6 to the required (2.19-0ubuntu6.7) 2.19.

In Slacko64, both of these things, as far as I can tell, have not been updated, nor addressed, or even discussed in the Security forum section. Only the 32-bit version stuff has been discussed. Can I just use the 32-bit fix versions of glibc and openssl and stick them in my Slacko64 6.3.0 somehow and experience no problems??

Thank you for any help and/or pointers
watchdog

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar 2016, 13:26    Post subject:  

You should look at the slackware64 14.1 patches repository:

ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware64-14.1/patches/packages/

Before testing backup your savefile. To update openssl you should install openssl and openssl-solibs. It is possible to test the glibc update, too, but it's dangerous.
harrisnyc

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar 2016, 16:40    Post subject: How to update Chrome to the latest version? (rel 49)  

Hi all,

Please forgive me if I seem like a bit of a noob, but I love Slacko64 6.3 so far, and I really want to make it work for me.

Here's my issue:
- In PPM, the only version of Chrome I see is 46. Yes, I've updated the PPM database.
- The latest version of Chrome is 49. In fact when running 46, the Gmail webpage tells me that this version of Chrome is no longer supported.
- I installed 49 from the Chrome website (both the .deb and the .rpm versions, as I really wasn't sure which one to use, which is a separate noob issue of mine) but when running it, it tells me that it cannot run under the root user.

Any ideas? Thanks very much in advance.

Harris
Semme

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar 2016, 18:28    Post subject:  

Pointless!

Last edited by Semme on Sun 20 Mar 2016, 19:31; edited 2 times in total
Semme

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar 2016, 18:30    Post subject:  

Pointless!

Last edited by Semme on Sun 20 Mar 2016, 19:31; edited 1 time in total
Semme

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar 2016, 18:35    Post subject:  

Pointless!

Last edited by Semme on Sun 20 Mar 2016, 19:31; edited 1 time in total
Semme

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar 2016, 19:29    Post subject:  

Pointless!

Last edited by Semme on Sun 20 Mar 2016, 19:30; edited 1 time in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar 2016, 19:30    Post subject:  

Hi Harris,

The following should work:
Go in /opt/google/chrome/ and open the script "google-chrome" with a texteditor
Then change this (almost last line):
Code:
  exec -a "$0" "$HERE/chrome"  "$@"

To this:
Code:
  exec -a "$0" "$HERE/chrome" --no-sandbox --user-data-dir --disable-infobars "$@"

Save the changes and run Google Chrome from menu.

Fred
harrisnyc

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar 2016, 19:59    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Hi Harris,

The following should work:
Go in /opt/google/chrome/ and open the script "google-chrome" with a texteditor
Then change this (almost last line):
Code:
  exec -a "$0" "$HERE/chrome"  "$@"

To this:
Code:
  exec -a "$0" "$HERE/chrome" --no-sandbox --user-data-dir --disable-infobars "$@"

Save the changes and run Google Chrome from menu.

Fred

Thanks Fred, this worked! Now... another, unrelated problem. In Puppy, as there's no setting to enable "natural scrolling" (i.e., the way the touchpad works on a Mac, where scrolling on the touchpad works as though you were scrolling on a phone or tablet) I found and used the following command:

Code:

​echo "pointer = 1 2 3 5 4 7 6 8 9 10 11 12" > ~/.Xmodmap && xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

This command enables natural scrolling... except that it doesn't work in Chrome! It's just one thing after another... Wink

Thanks again,
Harris
Belham

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2016, 14:18    Post subject: Watchdog---thank you! Installed openssl & all glibc  

Watchdog,

Just wanted to say thank you for posting that ftp link for Slacko64 6.3.0 updates. Sometimes, I go brain dead and get lost on the Slacko pages looking for the correct updates.

Well, I updated my Slacko64 6.3.0 first with both of the updates to bring the openssl up to 1.0.1s, and all went smoothly. I then next updated all five of the glibc update packages, and it too went smoothly. The only thing I can tell that got borked was Google Chrome, which was nothing to uninstall and then reinstall.

With Slacko64 6.3.0, Tahrpup64 and Barry's old Precise 5.7 and his now even better Quirky Werewolf64 7.4, I've finally found my nirvana in using computers after 25 years. Only unfortunate thing is that I had to give up trying with Fatdog64 recently. Sure, Fatdog64 runs well (that is, when it finally gets going after 3-5 maddening mins with that initrd loading), but struggling trying to understand how to pare the the initrd so that it loads faster plus having problems with actually getting Fatdog64 on a usb drive (something I've never encountered in 5-7 years of using versions of puppies, where I've put them all on various USB drives and/or SD cards with zero issues)..........the hassle of using Fatdog64 is just no longer worth it. I see others having posted problems with both of these things I mention, and I honestly think James Bond and his mate need to look at doing something with the initrd & its size, instead of relying on people who want to use it to know what to do. Jmho.

Anyway, thank you again for the Slacko64 link. Have bookmarked it for good! I'll post back on here if I see Slacko64 6.3.0 acting funny in any other way (other than the Chrome issue mentioned above) with all the openssl and glibc updates I did.
watchdog

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2016, 14:39    Post subject:  

Fatdog64 becomes useful and worth to learn it when you want to use linux and a puppy like distro on a windows>=8.0 machine with UEFI boot.
Page 13 of 16 [239 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: