Slacko64-6.3.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
toronado

Firewall Setup

#166 Post by toronado »

Is the firewall setup broken? I try to configure it but nothing sticks. If I go back into the setup after configuring it, all my settings are gone.

01micko

Re: Firewall Setup

#167 Post by 01micko »

toronado wrote:Is the firewall setup broken? I try to configure it but nothing sticks. If I go back into the setup after configuring it, all my settings are gone.
No, the actual firewall doesn't forget anything.. just the user interface.

I have since added improvements and can post a package, which should address your concerns.

Thanks!
Attachments
firewall_ng-0.4.pet
(12.02 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

dejan555

#168 Post by dejan555 »

Hi Mick, I downloaded your last iso and applied delta update so I have a manual frugal install of 6.3.0.1
All hardware is recognized on boot on this machine so it all went well for the default boot.

My specs are:
Pentium G620 @ 2.6 Ghz x 2
H61M-P20 (G3) (MS-7788) motherboard
Integrated intel HD graphics (i915 module)
4GB RAM (2x2 GB DDR3)
DELL S2240L monitor @ 1920x1080

I downloaded devx too, now I have some questions about compiling because I never compiled for 64-bit before
Is it correct to use --build=x86_64 or --build=x86_64-slackware-linux ?
Also, I use standard --prefix=/usr and --sysconfdir=/etc but some libraries ended in /usr/lib as always but program couldn't find them (vlc) until I found a lib64 directory and moved them there... is there some option on configure line to force the libraries to go to the right dir?

EDIT: Just remembered that there's also a --libdir option, so --libdir=/usr/lib64 ?

BTW, firewall configured without errors for me, and with gui.
I will post any observations that I have because I'll be probably using this as my default system now.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

01micko

#169 Post by 01micko »

dejan555 wrote: Is it correct to use --build=x86_64 or --build=x86_64-slackware-linux ?
Hi Dejan.

With 64 bit the triplet is of little importance but if you want to put it the latter option is correct.

dejan555 wrote: EDIT: Just remembered that there's also a --libdir option, so --libdir=/usr/lib64 ?
--libdir=/usr/lib64 is correct for slacko64

dejan555 wrote: BTW, firewall configured without errors for me, and with gui.
I will post any observations that I have because I'll be probably using this as my default system now.
Great. :) . I commited that version to woof so (optionally) it can be in all future woof-CE puppies.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

dejan555

#170 Post by dejan555 »

OK, so just noticing some bugs(or not?) that I remember from years ago, not sure if noone noticed them reported or it was decided to leave them like that.

Changing locale reverts desktop icons/wallpaper (PuppyPin?) to original settings. This is noticed while in ram without savefile but IIRC that might be gone with savefile established.
Exiting X hangs when /etc/windowmanager content doesn't match with wm name (Logical, but many WMs/DEs are started with scripts instead actuall wm exe, startfluxbox, startkde, etc... so when wmpoweroff attempts to kill wm nothing happens until X is killed manually with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE)
In older wmpoweroff scripts what the script did is that it killed X server, not specific WM.

Not bugs, but maybe small customizations/hints that would be cool or usefull to people:

Open containing folder from firefox downloads pop-up solution:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72652

While playing videos on sr_ME locale (might apply to others) subtitles were behaving strange (half latin/ half cyrilic) or showing question marks entirely, this is solved by adding this line to $HOME/.mplayer/config

Code: Select all

subcp=cp1250
or for vlc by specifying it on command line: --subsdec-encoding cp1250, probably could be set somewhere in vlc's preferences/config too.

Scrollbar on right for urxvt, add this line to $HOME/.Xdefaults:

Code: Select all

urxvt.scrollBar_right: True
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

Blackfish

#171 Post by Blackfish »

For anyone experiencing networking problems with SLACKO64 (as I was!)... Just to put a bug in your ear... I bought a USB wireless unit for use with my Trisquel 7.0 GNOME installation, which is free software that will not run my Intel or my Broadcom wireless cards...

I bought the TP-LINK WN722N, which has precisely the same chip set as the Penguin USB wireless recommended by the Free Software Foundation. This unit was much, much less expensive than the Penguin and does the same thing. I got the unit and the unit shipped to me for under fifteen dollars.

I tried it with the new SLACKO64 and it was plug and play. No fuss, no mess. So, if you're at your wit's end trying to network with SLACKO64 - but still want to fly with this monster great distro - get this wireless unit and all your troubles should vanish-like mine did!
Dell Latitude E5500 w/ Intel Centrino processor-- running bionicpup64-8.0

Billtoo

#172 Post by Billtoo »

Running Slacko64 on my 2008 imac:

Summary
Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8135 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 4023MB (357MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Slacko64 Puppy - 6.3.0.4
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Wed 20 Jan 2016 07:28:16 PM EST
Display
Resolution 1680x1050 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV610
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Audio Adapter PC-Speaker - pcsp
Input Devices
Power Button
Sleep Button
Power Button
Video Bus
Logitech USB Optical Mouse
Apple, Inc Apple Keyboard
Apple, Inc Apple Keyboard
Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver
PC Speaker
Built-in iSight

I installed kdegames with PPM.
It booted to the desktop with sound,wired network working on first
boot.

# uname -r

Running from live dvd with a savefile on the hard drive.

No problems so far.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(84.04 KiB) Downloaded 1324 times

spandey

#173 Post by spandey »

How do i move panel from top to bottom like original puppy?

Sage

#174 Post by Sage »

Think I already asked that?

mavrothal

#175 Post by mavrothal »

spandey wrote:How do i move panel from top to bottom like original puppy?
The default "Buntoo" theme in slacko64 is problematic in this aspect.
I believe is now fixed in woof-ce but unless you want to do the update manually you may be better off picking another theme from Menu>Desktop>Desktop settings>Theming
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Atle

#176 Post by Atle »

Mouse not working...

It moves the cursor, but no drop down menu on right click...

I copy this from drivers...

i2c_algo_bit 5135 1 i915
i2c_i801 10021 0

I figure its the same problem as addressed here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 218f60bd82

Will there be a patch for this? is there a workaround?

PS... testing the extre drivers from SFS repo and that might do it?

Atle
Last edited by Atle on Fri 19 Feb 2016, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

Atle

#177 Post by Atle »

And how about this addition to both 64 and 32 bits editions of Slacko?

Scribus 1.5.1 (five days old today)

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/1.5.1_Release

I desperatly needs this for my "open newspaper production platform" as seen here: http://www.bmedia.no

I am way way after my schedule as I was lucky to have Jamesbond fix the Scribus 1.5 for Fatdog, but everything broke as remaster was tested, tried, tested and then tried again and its like I really did test to do all kinds of remasters with every variation possible done, small initrd, humungous intrd and what not. It also became a huge ISO like 600 mb that never ever was close to booting. Despite how great Fatdog is, I just need to proceed in order to come anywhere. I can not embark on another long journey to make a iso from scratch og learn a lot of new things as I am already lost on time...

I am willing to pay for this as its really very bad that I am not able to get this on the road.

The hope is to be able to offer both 32 pae/ non pae and a pure 64 bits version customized just for newspaper production. Or I do not hope, but will.... eventually:-) I am open for any suggestion as I stand no chance of doing this on my own. I can install it and do the remaster.

The project is non commercial and does not have a budget, but it gets in my nerves as I have saddle up the horse, but are not riding...

Any chance of a taker out there? PM me or speak out here.

With the great Fatdog I would not have a 32 bit option that came along anyhow and this is why my eyes fell at Slacko.

Atle

gjuhasz

#178 Post by gjuhasz »

Atle wrote:And how about this addition to both 64 and 32 bits editions of Slacko?

Scribus 1.5.1 (five days old today)

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/1.5.1_Release

I desperatly needs this for my "open newspaper production platform" as seen here: http://www.bmedia.no
Dear Atle,

Download the windows version and run it on the top of wine.

I succeed with the combo of scribus-1.5.1-windows-r2.exe and wine-1.9.2-i486_v2.1.pet in Puli.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz
Last edited by gjuhasz on Fri 19 Feb 2016, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

Atle

#179 Post by Atle »

i shall test it, but gave up wine several years ago as it was completely impossible to store files and it made things quite complicated and neither did it run so well.

I feel wine is for when there is no Linux version available and will never feel ok to promote less than what i want for my self.

And i think it will break some of the magic with Scribus as it integrates with GIMP.

If no other option is on the table, this might be it, but I really would not feel good releasing a distro specially built for speed and ease of use based on Wine, and the reason is it gets complicated for the user and no GIMP.

Thank god I could not find any wine for Slacko64 in any repo, so the request remains as seen in the initial post :-)

But thanks for the suggestion.

gyro

codeblocks 16.01

#180 Post by gyro »

Since there seems to be no codeblocks in the slackware repository, I have compiled codeblocks 16.01 on slacko64 6.3.0.
It can be downloaded from http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/sla ... -16.01.pet. It's about 6.6 MiB in size.
This pet depends on wxGTK being installed from the slackware repository using Puppy Package Manager.

gyro

pri

cannot detect wifi

#181 Post by pri »

seem not lucky with wifi. this laptop is sony vaio pcg. 71318l 64bit windows 7 home edition.

but work ok using slacko 32bit. thks gota take it to work on tomorow morning. with operator cellular using debian but i will bring it there.
Learning by Doing

Semme

#182 Post by Semme »

Pri, to tether with your Android? Does it connect wired?

Run PupScan then copy'n paste the info for your net card.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

pri

#183 Post by pri »

On fatdog can use tathering via usb. Will try using slacko 64bit when got home.
Learning by Doing

pri

usb tathering

#184 Post by pri »

conection to android using usb seem ok. posting on it. thks
Learning by Doing

Belham

Slacko64 6.3.0 openssl upgrade confusion

#185 Post by Belham »

Hi all,

Is there anyone that knows how to upgrade Slacko64 6.3.0's openssl, which is currently:

# openssl version -a
OpenSSL 1.0.1p 9 Jul 2015
built on: Thu Jul 9 12:59:08 2015
platform: linux-x86_64

I also use Slacko 5.7 (32-bit), and the repositories for that upgrading their openssl 1.0.1r to openssl 1.0.1s was just a click in the update menu and all was taken care of. In Slacko64, I can find written nowhere in the forums how to do this.

I saw Watchdog posted links for openssl 1.0.2f versions (new), but they were all i486.

I also found Musher posted .pets and sfs, but again, are they for 32-bit only, or 32 & 64-bit.

Thank you for any help, and sorry if I am not understanding something simple. I've managed to update all the other puppies I currently use, even the Tahr64 6.0.5, which, again, like the Slacko 5.7 version was just a simple click & upgrade to solve.

What and where (if there is one) is the openssl upgrade/fix for Slacko64 6.3.0??? :? Is it in .pet format or an sfs somewhere? I am assuming nothing can be done about the glibc currently in Slacko64 6.3.0 (it is GNU libc 2.17), unlike Tahrpup 6.0.5 which not only updated to the openssl fix, but also updated the glibc from 0ubuntu6.6 to the required (2.19-0ubuntu6.7) 2.19.

In Slacko64, both of these things, as far as I can tell, have not been updated, nor addressed, or even discussed in the Security forum section. Only the 32-bit version stuff has been discussed. Can I just use the 32-bit fix versions of glibc and openssl and stick them in my Slacko64 6.3.0 somehow and experience no problems??

Thank you for any help and/or pointers