Can't load webpages over wireless connection

Booting, installing, newbie
osomuchtrouble

Can't load webpages over wireless connection

#1 Post by osomuchtrouble »

Please bear with me, though I'm good with hardware and savvy with Windows, I am a total Linux noob and I'm at the end of my rope.

I'm running Puppy 2.02 on my laptop. Puppy has taken over my hard drive and is not coexisting with any other OS. I'm having a bear of a time getting my wireless connection working properly.

I have already successfully installed the driver for my wireless card using ndiswrapper and configured my connection using RutilT.

Under the Link Status tab in RutliT it shows I am connected to my router 100% link quality, IP address aquired, the whole bit. But when I try to load a webpage, I just get a problem loading page error. I have tried this in SeaMonkey, Firefox, and Dillo to no avail.

What am I missing??

Thanks in advance!

Runemaster

Basics

#2 Post by Runemaster »

OK, lets run through the basics just to be sure, make sure you have no frayed or disconnected cables, if you have recently installed this wireless router make sure you used the right type of cables, because theres one RJ-45 cable out there but there are many different varients also and if you are not using the right one it could cause a problem. Make sure that your DSL/Cable modem is running properly and has no conflicts with the router. make sure there is no other wireless interference i.e. telephones. Some cordless telephones run on the same 2.4Ghz frequency as the router and and wireless card, making it hard sometimes to acheive wireless fidelity, make sure that those phones are not in use when trying to connect to the internet. just try those things and if you're still not up and running then just post again, hope this helps. :)

fluxit

#3 Post by fluxit »

osomuchtrouble,

After establishing a connection, open rxvt(console.) Type netstat -nr<enter>. You should see output similar to this:

Code: Select all

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
192.168.2.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0 lo
0.0.0.0         192.168.2.1     0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 eth0
Note the row that starts with 0.0.0.0. See how it has the Flag "G". You should also have a row like this one. Now type ping -c 3 192.168.2.1<enter> except replace 192.168.2.1 with the corresponding address from your "G" line.
Then type ping -c 3 66.94.234.13<enter>.

Let us know the results of the two ping commands.

r__hughes

#4 Post by r__hughes »

Are you trying to get internet thru a router AP or some other firewall that may be blocking your MAC#?

Is any other computer successfully accessing the internet thru the same AP?

If there are other computers on your wifi network can you ping them?

osomuchtrouble

Stay, Driver! Bad Driver!

#5 Post by osomuchtrouble »

Runemaster- ran through the basics, everything is good. This is the same router my desktop connects through, as well as my PS2 and PSP and they have no problems.

fluxit- don't know why I didn't think of that! thanks, I'm still getting used to the rxvt commands rather than cmd: in windows :mrgreen:
So I changed my network type in RutilT from Managed to Auto and I seemed to have an easier time obtaining and keeping an ip address. I was able to bring up google. So I ran the ping again. Got packets both ways from my router, sent packets to Yahoo but none came back. Browsing the web seemed to work fine for a bit, but then the connection dropped and I've been trying to get it back.

r__hughes- If the problem keeps up I will see if I can ping my PSP. I may be able to see if my laptop will connect Ad-Hoc and go from there...

But now I have a new issue! When I restarted, my wireless card driver file was gone from the desktop repleaced with an error icon. Opened RutilT, got an error Can't find any wireless network interface. I went to set it up with ndiswrapper again. used ndiswrapper -l> , said driver installed, hardware present. :? So I loaded the module and tested it, everything looked good.

When I pulled the driver off the CD-ROM I just dragged it to the desktop, and now I see that probably wasn't quite right (still getting used to the mounting and unmounting of drives). Where should I put the driver file so it will stay accessible?

I'm finding it hard to get connected as well. When I click on the profile I set up for my network in RutilT It doesn't seem to respond. When I scan for my network and select it. it wants to enter the WEP key that's saved in my network profile and then does nothing. It seems to just connect spontaneously...

Also, after running RutilT for a while the windows manger suddenly stopped. I got some text about testing eth0 wlan0 etc. then the option to run xwin again. Does anyone know more about these issues with RutilT?

I'm not using WAG because when I try to run it, I get an error that says WAG is not cnofigured, running socket test and then it just hangs.

Thanks for the help!

fluxit

#6 Post by fluxit »

Obviously I was assuming no particular level of knowledge :)
My intention was to test connectivity in general(ping router ip,) then test routing without name resolution(ping yahoo's ip.)
When I pulled the driver off the CD-ROM I just dragged it to the desktop, and now I see that probably wasn't quite right (still getting used to the mounting and unmounting of drives). Where should I put the driver file so it will stay accessible?
Just about anywhere else will work(eg /root). Dragging something to the desktop(rox pinboard) just creates a link on the pinboard to the original file.
Also, after running RutilT for a while the windows manger suddenly stopped. I got some text about testing eth0 wlan0 etc. then the option to run xwin again. Does anyone know more about these issues with RutilT?
I haven't tried RutilT before, but your xserver shouldn't be crashing. Are you using Xvesa or Xorg?
'm not using WAG because when I try to run it, I get an error that says WAG is not cnofigured, running socket test and then it just hangs.
See http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9753.