Legacy OS 2.1 LTS booting on SATA DVD drive?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ldvivier

Legacy OS 2.1 LTS booting on SATA DVD drive?

#1 Post by ldvivier »

Good day

I am having some problem booting Legacy OS 2.1 LTS on SATA DVD drives?
It works of my PC with an IDE CD drom.
Can install it on a flash drive via UUI in Windows and that helps.

But I would very much like to boot if from a SATA DVD drive.

I could however not find a boot option for this when editing the file.

I did at some point see a thread with people struggling to run Legacy OS 2.1 LTS and from what I could discern it was due to this same reason. For the life of me I can not find the thread again.

Is it possible to do so? If so what do I need to do? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards

Leon

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

ldvivier ...welcome to Puppy.

Post your computer specs back...that always helps.

Chris.

ldvivier

#3 Post by ldvivier »

Good day cthisbear

Thank you for the response. I will post the required information as soon as I can. Just recovering from being sick and catching up on many things. Thus the slow response as well.

Is there any specific info you are looking for?

I can tell you off-hand that LegacyOS boots fine on both my and my dad's PC if run off a flashdrive. Precise Puppy and Tahrpup runs fine off a CD. Linux Mint runs fine of a CD. LegacyOS is the only one so far that I could not boot from the CD. The only difference that I could pick up is that the DVD rom is a SATA one and not IDE.

But once again. Will drop the details as soon as I can.

Regards

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

There are also manufacturer issues. A long-absent member of this forum reported to me (off-forum) problems he'd had with HP-issue optical drives... I personally have had some rather significant issues with NEC-manufactured drives.

I have no idea what the exact issue is in either case... I can tell you that (a) my problems were entirely with PBurn and (b) they were resolved by swapping the drive for a different one, rather than doing low-level diagnostics.

ldvivier

#5 Post by ldvivier »

Good day guys

Got around to this. Below you will see an export of my pc details. Let me know if you need anything else.

1. Once again: The only big difference I can notice is that the pc has a sata dvdrom instead of a ide one.

2. When booting up LegacyOS is says:

"ERROR, cannot find Puppy on 'idecd' boot media.
PUPMODE=1 PDEV1="

This is after is states the kernel is loaded, then looks for pup_save.2fs...and then throws the above error when it apparently can not find it.

I have tried inputting a boot load paramater at the startup screen to the effect of "pmedia=satadvd" or "satacd" but still no effect.

Not the end of the world if it does not work. Would just be nice to know if I could get it going on other people's pc's who have a similar problem.

--------[ EVEREST Ultimate Edition ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v5.30.1900
Benchmark Module 2.4.273.0
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer
Generator
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7601
Date 2015-11-01
Time 14:40

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 8.0.7601.17514
DirectX DirectX 11.0
Computer Name
User Name
Logon Domain
Date / Time 2015-11-01 / 14:40

Motherboard:
CPU Type DualCore Intel Pentium, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
Motherboard Name MSI G31TM-P21/P35 (MS-7529) (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 2 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Bearlake G31
System Memory 3072 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
DIMM1: Kingston KTC1G-UDIMM 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
DIMM3: Hynix HYMP125U64CP8-S6 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
BIOS Type AMI (07/28/10)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 210 (512 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 210 (512 MB)
Monitor Philips 246V5 (24inch Wide LCD MONITOR 246V5) [NoDB] (AU01418006413)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC888/1200 @ Intel 82801GB ICH7 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC888/1200 @ nVIDIA GT216 - High Definition Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0
Disk Drive ST3250820A ATA Device (250 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Disk Drive WDC WD400BD-75JMC0 ATA Device (37 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Optical Drive TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C ATA Device
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 38143 MB (15975 MB free)
E: (NTFS) 39999 MB (39345 MB free)
F: (NTFS) 193.8 GB (80.2 GB free)
Total Size 270.1 GB (134.2 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8102E/RTL8103E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20) (192.168.0.23)

Peripherals:
Printer Fax
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Printer Send To OneNote 2010
USB1 Controller Intel 82801GB ICH7 - USB Universal Host Controller [A-1]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801GB ICH7 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-1]
USB Device Nokia Lumia 520 (RM-914)
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Input Device
USB Device Windows Phone

DMI:
DMI BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
DMI BIOS Version V4.7
DMI System Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
DMI System Product MS-7529
DMI System Version 1.0
DMI System Serial Number To Be Filled By O.E.M.
DMI System UUID 00000000-00000000-00006C62-6D9C7BFE
DMI Motherboard Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
DMI Motherboard Product G31TM-P21 (MS-7529)
DMI Motherboard Version 1.0
DMI Motherboard Serial Number To be filled by O.E.M.
DMI Chassis Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
DMI Chassis Version 1.0
DMI Chassis Serial Number To Be Filled By O.E.M.
DMI Chassis Asset Tag To Be Filled By O.E.M.
DMI Chassis Type Desktop Case
DMI Total / Free Memory Sockets 4 / 2

--------[ Debug - Unknown ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monitor ID PHLC0C5: Philips 246V5 (24inch Wide LCD MONITOR 246V5) [NoDB]
Monitor Model PHL 246V5
PCI/AGP 10DE-0A23 [SubSys: 1462-1902]: NVIDIA GeForce 210 [10DE-0A23] [NoDB]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

cthisbear

#6 Post by cthisbear »

" "ERROR, cannot find Puppy on 'idecd' boot media.
PUPMODE=1 PDEV1="

This is after is states the kernel is loaded, then looks for pup_save.2fs. "

""""""""""'''

It nearly looks like that you saved a Puppy to cd >> pup_save.2fs

and you are booting that cd in your other computer and it starts
to throw a hissy fit.

MSI G31TM-P21/P35 (MS-7529)

Way too modern for this Puppy.

Otherwise copy the main >>> sfs file onto the hard drive.

See if picks it up from there...an old trick with many Puppies.

Use 7zip in windows to do that.
Puppy lowercase formats will be seen correctly.

7zip with Puppy Bang for instance delivers this.......

>>>> puppy_tahr_6.0.2.sfs

""""""""

7 zip Portable.

http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/7-zip_portable

Chris.

mikeslr

Legacy OS 2.1 can't read Ext4 drives

#7 Post by mikeslr »

Just a couple of words of caution.
If you decide to move/copy pup_save.2fs --or for that matter any other SFS to your hard drive-- AS FAR AS I RECALL, Legacy OS is not able to read drives formatted in Linux EXt4. That format didn't exist when Legacy was created.

Additionally, while Legacy has a great assortment of applications --perhaps the best ever included in a Pup-- it can not handle the recent web-browsers designed to display the content of recent web-pages.

Like cthrisbear, I recommend Tahrpup for such activity. Or at least one of the newer Pups. But Legacy doesn't take up much room. I suggest multi-booting: Tahrpup for its strengths, Legacy for its great apps.

mikesLr

ldvivier

#8 Post by ldvivier »

@cthisbear:

Thank you for the suggestions. But sadly they also do not work.
But no, not trying to boot another saved puppy sfs :)

@mikeslr:

The dual boot option could perhaps also work.
Will still see.

I live in South Africa and although internet access is increasingly getting cheaper it is still a problem for many. Thus my draw to the 'complete packages' or "great assortment of applications" preinstalled - like Legacy. That you can just install and go.

But it is not the end of the world if I can not get this going. There are other puppies to try. It would just be nice to be able to. That is all :)

Regards

oligin10

Puppy Linux 4 and earlier

#9 Post by oligin10 »

Hi, I've had the same problem with almost anything Puppy Linux 4 series and earlier. I had a HP S7220N and they would all boot on it. As soon as I changed the DVD drive from IDE to SATA, they wouldn't boot. I'm not sure if it was the manufacturer of the drive or what, but I have experienced the same problem. Hope this helps, Rob

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, ldvivier.

I tend to agree with cthisbear & mikeslr. The whole problem really boils down to one thing; John Biles created Legacy OS to support the very thing that the name suggests....legacy hardware. At the time it was created, this meant anything pre-1999/2000.....around the time that Windows '98 would have been dominating the market.

I've tried using it, and had exactly the same problem as you're now encountering. While it will run great on very elderly hardware, the drivers, etc, in the kernel are 'fixed' at a certain point in time.....which, unfortunately, means that any hardware released after that kernel was created won't be recognised, and therefore not supported. And as far as I'm aware, there is no easy way to update the kernel in this distro.

Not much 'help', I know.....but I thought I'd try to explain the situation in layman's terms.
oligin10 wrote:Hi, I've had the same problem with almost anything Puppy Linux 4 series and earlier. I had a HP S7220N and they would all boot on it. As soon as I changed the DVD drive from IDE to SATA, they wouldn't boot. I'm not sure if it was the manufacturer of the drive or what, but I have experienced the same problem. Hope this helps, Rob
It's the same problem. Newer hardware being employed than what the kernel in this OS is able to recognise, I'm sorry to say.

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

Maybe swap kernels

#11 Post by mikeslr »

Hi ldvivier,

FYI, firmware and drivers are kernel specific.

Caution: I'm not fully awake -- need 2nd cup of coffee & breakfast. Was scanning threads and came from rufwoof's discussion of Pup based on Wary xvesa --to provide very small core-- where he used Tahrpup kernel to work with newest hardware. You're object is different --run Legacy Applications on newer hardware. But the technique may be the same: swap kernels. There as thread started by jrb with the name "How to switch kernels between Puppy versions".

With newer (more modular) Pups, swapping kernels is now fairly easy. But I'd start at the beginning of the thread as it was opened before modularization became a build priority.

Edit when actually awake: :lol:

Here's the thread, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 164#453164.

The technique rufwoof discussed in his thread would also work; but is more complicated as he had other objectives to obtain beyond just switching kernels.

mikesLr

ldvivier

#12 Post by ldvivier »

Good day guys

Thank you everyone for the responses.
Sorry for slow response. Live.
I understand now that I was perhaps trying to use a screw driver as a wrench.
I just like Legacy OS for the complete package it represents.
But I have since tried the Knoppix live DVD and that also provides a fairly packed OS but runs on newer PC's as well :)

Regards

Leon