For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
musher0

#16 Post by musher0 »

stemsee wrote:
musher0 wrote:Hello stemcee.

Great! Downloading now!

Just to clear things, is the following correct:

Pemasu stopped producing his UpupWheezies at v. 3.5.2.8 and
you picked them up starting with v. 3.5.2.9?

Thanks in advance.

musher0
The woof version number may be stuck...I seem to recall building my wheezy 2 years ago and getting thus same version build number. But the build is very different and improved, apart from the yad-0.12
Hi.

If it's "stuck", a note of some kind would be most welcome to avoid
confusion in the user's mind. Also to recognize both pemasu's work and
yours.

Maybe something like "WheezyPup-3.9.5.11S". The "S" referring to your
work. Or whatever, as long as people don't try to mix and match your
work and pemasu's, and then come back complaining. (For ex., I noticed
the devx's from you and pemasu are quite different.)

My 2¢. BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

stemsee

#17 Post by stemsee »

@musher0

I do appreciate your comments, but I really didn't 'do' anything in building this, apart from attending the building of it on my pc. If you download woof-ce kit you will very likely get the same build as I did without editing anything!

As I said I will build it again making adjustments to the version number and some updated packages and removals and additions including synaptic, (I think I have a way of building the status and available files accurately (work around) so that synaptic will work normally (more or less).

thanks for the feedback

stem

musher0

#18 Post by musher0 »

stemsee wrote:@musher0

I do appreciate your comments, but I really didn't 'do' anything in building this, apart from attending the building of it on my pc. If you download woof-ce kit you will very likely get the same build as I did without editing anything!

As I said I will build it again making adjustments to the version number and some updated packages and removals and additions including synaptic, (I think I have a way of building the status and available files accurately (work around) so that synaptic will work normally (more or less).

thanks for the feedback

stem
Hi stemsee.

Almost forgot: the htop executable is missing (but it already has its *.desktop file in
/usr/share/applications).

Maybe I should give woof-ing it a try, just for practice. :)

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Pelo

It's a long way to woof, a very long way

#19 Post by Pelo »

It's a long way to woof, a very long way, musher0. Is pekwm worth the pain ?
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 24 Oct 2015, 05:09, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

Re: It's a long way to woof, a very long way

#20 Post by musher0 »

Pelo wrote:It's a long way to woof, a very long way, musher0. Is that worth the pain ?
@pelo :
"Pain" is too strong a word!! :) Although I'm a bit of a masochist! :)

To all:
Short report: after 3 ½ hours, there are 275 pet packages still missing to build the
upup Wheezy!!! It makes you appreciate your own limits, on the one hand, and on
the other hand, the talent and patience of pemasu who built the original one -- and
stemsee's!

Now where in hell -- or heaven !!! -- am I supposed to find 275 pet packages that
I am not even sure exist !!!

~~~~~~~~~~~
(Edit, next morning:)

I'm not doing this 275 times... no way!
ERROR: packages-pet/ --- blabla.pet --- does not exist.
(Generic name: blabla)
You will need to find this PET package and place in packages-pet.
Do it, then rerun this script and choose to build blabla.
(End of edit)
~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll get back to it sometime, but for now I'm having a mild laugh at what seems to be
a half-baked process when you wander off the slackware and ubuntu paths.

The only reason I'm doing this is in the hope of showing pekwm to advantage in any
efficient Puppy. To my knowledge, only WattOS has ever offered a pekwm-based
distro, and a while back at that. I don't really want to learn to "woof" an entire
Puppy just to show how great a wm pekwm is.

Have a great evening!

Christian
Last edited by musher0 on Sat 24 Oct 2015, 13:09, edited 2 times in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

slavvo67

#21 Post by slavvo67 »

So every time I hear Wheezy I think of the wife from the Jeffersons. Perhaps, just showing my age...

Pelo

Puppy derivative is not Puppy à la dérive ( floating off)

#22 Post by Pelo »

probleme de traduction : peine is not pain
Puppy derivative is not Puppy à la dérive ( floating off)

darry1966

#23 Post by darry1966 »

Hi Stemsee
Machine: Dell D620
Distro: As Above

Everything works well. Bare ram use 80meg
Only noted menu Gnome-Mplayer doesn't work. Desktop icon does.

Connected straight away with wireless. Haven't run a Pup in a long time not bad and nice looking desktop. Hope others will get behind it.:)
Attachments
image-1.png
(202.51 KiB) Downloaded 351 times

musher0

Re: Puppy derivative is not Puppy à la dérive ( floating off)

#24 Post by musher0 »

@pelo
Pelo wrote:probleme de traduction : peine is not pain
Please see : http://www.wordreference.com/fren/peine
Pelo wrote:Puppy derivative is not Puppy à la dérive ( floating off)
Please see : http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/derivative

@all
I edited my message above about the re-spin missing 275 pet packages... :roll:

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

darry1966

#25 Post by darry1966 »

To my knowledge, only WattOS has ever offered a pekwm-based
distro, and a while back at that.

Hi Musher, LinuxBBQ did a spin(s) with Pekwm
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxbbq/files/PekWM/

musher0

#26 Post by musher0 »

darry1966 wrote: To my knowledge, only WattOS has ever offered a pekwm-based
distro, and a while back at that.

Hi Musher, LinuxBBQ did a spin(s) with Pekwm
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxbbq/files/PekWM/
Thanks Darry.

I'll look it up sometime.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Pelo

Whezy, see the difference !

#27 Post by Pelo »

Your puppy Wheezy dowloaded to see what it looks like (or better to see the difference). Musher0 has some hard job to get it updated at his taste. Please just wait some days.
Attachments
Emtec.png
Ehinus will be the window Manager tasted by french and canadian friends
(23.88 KiB) Downloaded 572 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 05 Mar 2016, 02:06, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

pupjibaro wheezy

#28 Post by Pelo »

pupjibaro wheezy seems to be abandoned on the forum by Josejp2424.
No news on british and spanish forums.
What is the translation of 'wheezy' : poor lonesome Puppy. maker. ..
Canadian mushers never will have abandoned the huskies :!: Perhaps due lack of interest on the forum, josejp perhaps is desesperate.
test the pupiies of your friendly colleagues, that will make them happy, if critical opinions bless them, underline what is valuable. .
They will try yours... debate will create progress and perhaps less Puppies, because international teams will born around the same project.
Developers are alone, Puppy is a community,
Attachments
wheezy.jpg
It's a nice spanish Wheezy, i send an SOS !
(24.97 KiB) Downloaded 341 times

stemsee

#29 Post by stemsee »

I have tried pupjibaro, very nice interface!

Pelo

and GO ! release Puppy Wheezy :!: 2016

#30 Post by Pelo »

i Don't understand why a new version of DPUP wheezy is so hard to create. All your problems seem caused by woof..
Just change the kernel of an old dpup squeeze, change the .packages repository to a Wheezy one, provide a Firefox version around 25
Check in newer version of apps exists,
and GO ! release Puppy Wheezy :!: 2016
Apart the PPM, there is nothing Debian needed, is it ? perharps a background with Debian logo... and that will go !
Why changing to Porteus boot system, puppy's one is better.
What is important in a distro is not how it boots. it's once installed, what is available. Distro means distribute, no ?
And my cruel opinion, tahrpup PPM is largely better than the Debian Puppies one. (huge dependancies)

stemsee

#31 Post by stemsee »

One of the problems building a newer DPup Wheezy is that the .pet packages used to build the base need updating. That means someone has to compile the latest packages and pack them in .pet format and upload them or place them in the woof-ce pet dir. Then the packages database file in woof-ce needs updating to the latest version numbers available. Really this should all be scripted in the build system, or automated ... which is what interests me. So the T2 build system offered by BK may do all of that! I tried to get it going but on my system it just wouldn't fly! Too many bumps in the road at that time .... maybe better now ... or maybe I should just do it on a newer pup.

Personally I am interested in building a more logical and simplified (for the beginner) linux distro. With the best features from all the systems. Master of all trades: jack of none.

Pelo

'someone to compile' here is the future of Puppy.

#32 Post by Pelo »

ah Stemsee, your are my friend ! :)
"That means someone has to compile the latest packages and pack them in .pet format "

someone here is the future of Puppy.
I was told to compile myself. If each user is told to compile, users will be only graduate linuxians. Puppy builders must compile pets first. And work together for that. then users will build Puppy as they like at home. (or SFS, it's the same). Woof will collect all these renewed pets, and then, only then, a new puppy will born, not a remake.

My feel is that Puppy is becoming a distro to study Linux. I adopt Puppy because it was offering me a full service for home in a small size. I don't want to be a programmer.

stemsee

Re: 'someone to compile' here is the future of Puppy.

#33 Post by stemsee »

Pelo wrote:]Puppy builders must compile pets first. And work together for that. . . . Woof will collect all these renewed pets, and then, only then, a new puppy will born, not a remake.
Should someone else then verify the contents and quality of each .pet package that has been built ... does each contain an accurate and up-to-date dependency reference, are the packages installed in the correct-for-specific-distro-flavour directory? Is there a postinstall script to remove rival scrip/binary/config ... are configs in /etc or /root ...

Who will check and verify ?? Everyone in the community?? Who will verify the quality of their work?? Will malicious code creep in or otherwise be inserted to sabotage good efforts??

I too never intended to be a programmer, and I am NOT! Writing code that does a job is not necessarily good programming practice from a security perspective! No REAL programmers ever use my scripts!! But my scripts serve their limited purpose in my pup derivative!! I don't like scripts that pretend to check for everything and then fail anyway!! I demand more robustness and intervention to finish successfully, that is what I want, and think I acheive.
If you come to linux, then you must learn to use the command line interface, and this is already the start of programming!! Linux gives the control back to the user.

musher0

#34 Post by musher0 »

Hello stemsee and pelo.

Your exchange of ideas above is great progress for this community, IMO.

I'll touch on a few of your themes, in no order.

~~~~~~~
Yes we should collaborate. But we are also individuals looking to express ourselves.
Co-operation is a simple concept, even a romantic one, but only on the surface.

Because when we humans co-operate, we have to keep the "personal glory" instinct
on a leash. That's difficult for most people. Not everyone has inborn humility like
Saint Francis or others like him (from any religion).

There are various ways to collaborate. All at once as in an active team, or one after
the other. Presently in Puppy we are collaborating in this 2nd way.

Another fact is that co-operation often appears chaotic in the beginning; it "gels" as
the group approaches its goal.

~~~~~~~
I'm not a programmer either. A scripter perhaps. Like what stemsee describes. What
happened was that I was discovering problems or uncharted territory in Puppy and
nobody was listening or at least had answers. So I took things in my own hands
and started learning bash to come up with solutions.

~~~~~~~
My "Pooch" is essentially an edit of the Woof-CE Dpup Wheezy template that
exists. I learned good editing / proof-reading skills in my profession, and I am just
applying those to Puppy.

It looks as if nobody ever did a proper and thorough "proof-read" of Puppy before or
at least of the Woof-CE for the DPup Wheezy. "Proof-reading" is just a double-
checking technique. I don't want to destroy anything or any reputation, I just
want to make Puppy better, and this is one way of doing it.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Pelo

pupjibaro wheezy 1.0.6 and wheezy 3.5.2.9

#35 Post by Pelo »

i am using now the spanish wheezy, it has some defaults, sure
your are not working together, and not one after the other, you are working alone, and you complain about that. .
Why dowloading sites are not shared, at least for puppies from the same country ? Hostile attitude 'Chacun pour soi) Every man for himself ! is that GNU ?
just to run the wheezy of your colleagues one day would be a great benefit .
pelo had run several wheezy. Why a puppy builder wouldn't do the same ?
On ne peut pas être juge et partie. Lot of defauts will appear when somebody else run the beta version. as we lack of users ( :?: :?: :?: ) puppy builders have to be the users of each others; but we are far away that cooperation.

I feel like it's a competition to pass an exam and to get the leadership.
:twisted: when a puppy-builder will not ever use his production, or abandone it on the forum, how users can trust him ?
If i had burn CDs for upup series tried, i will have spent all my money. when you post a question on the topic, no answer, you are the idiot user. la vieille chaussette, a tissue (mouchoir à jeter). One way to disgrace them, is to publish on the Puppy Facebook, in their language, in their country. You can congratulate too, of course, when the puppy builder is Nilson Morales or Puppyluvr... a Moldu was speaking. Sure on the french side, Toutou has no facebook site, users can think, our french puppy builders have no return (congratulations ou engueulades).
Wheezy spanish spoken pupjibaro 207MB JWM
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 08 Mar 2016, 01:20, edited 2 times in total.