Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Feb 2020, 13:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Running 32-bit Applications on 64-bit
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
slackfan

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep 2015, 16:46    Post subject:  Running 32-bit Applications on 64-bit  

as the 64 bit distributions are really rarely as complete as the 32 bit is this way very important for those coming from windows, mac or linux32 to some 64 versions...

it is also rare to find some wine preinstalled to compensate that the one or the other app is not available in linux64 using an windows *.exe!

as far as remember, the first 64 bit puppy's did offer the figure to run 32-bit app's on 64-bit puppys Idea

what is today with it Question

Which problems are eventually to solve (libraries, plugins like flash etc., java, javascript)?

is it more easy under wine as using some i386 port? which approach would you recommend for not very experimented users?
ally

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep 2015, 16:52    Post subject:  

a build is coming from BK

http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00252

Smile
slackfan

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep 2015, 18:42    Post subject:  

very interesting! thank you for the info, ally!

I suppose that the use of real 64 bit app's is also possible?
Pelo

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep 2015, 13:13    Post subject: There is no problem at all to run a 32 bits application  

There is no problem at all to run a 32 bits application on a Puppy 64 ( if there was one).
I doubt applis called 64 are really 64 bits.
Because ubuntu staff has left to be transfered to servers and iphone applis.
As told upper, Barry Kauler will soon share a wary 64 with 32 bits applications.
You shoud need 64 bits for cloud applications (games). Puppy's ones are slow, very slow, dated eighties
shutdown.jpg
Description  Slitaz... 32
jpg

Download 
Filename  shutdown.jpg 
Filesize  21.49 KB 
Downloaded  238 Time(s) 

Last edited by Pelo on Fri 02 Oct 2015, 07:22; edited 1 time in total
watchdog

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep 2015, 14:55    Post subject:  

I don't know if the following post is worth to be read:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=862166#862166
slackfan

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct 2015, 15:39    Post subject:  

oh! I did just discover the link to the installation's html for that new quirky.

ok, it would be somewhat useful if it would be a puppy (a small live mode CD linux) but it is "only" a quirky Embarassed

what is the difference in my eyes?

a quirky is nothing good any more... you MUST install it full and indifferent how powerful or not is your PC use a ridiculous USB stick to avoid to spend a real partition to you quirky test Rolling Eyes .

I did promise, never more to use a USB stick as it is a monumental environment error: the live time of USB sticks is to short as next day the same stick is old: the new stick with a double capacity cost the same price, the old stick desappears in an empty shoe box and will never more be used Mad

it will also never more be used as the most USB sticks are not concept to be reused: you can write nothing on the housing of them: no writing field as on traditional memory engines... you have to connect them really to see what did I save on it last week, last month, last year, 5 years ago: USB sticks are misconstructions!

I did install Slitaz64. It has a 64 bit kernel build to use usual 86-package. no limit: you can use all the packages of SliTaz using the 64 kernel and need no 64 package (and, probably, can not use some 64 binary, so the answer of one of the leader developers of SliTaz). since about 1/2 year...

but it is totally different from the INITIAL fatdog64 from Puppy: It did use usually real 64 bit app's but it was possible to add some 32 bit libraries to also use, where not available in 64 bit, 32 bit dotpets!

that was the optimal solution.

of course, I know that Debian and Ubuntu did discontinue the distribution of adequate 32 bit libraries to complete the 64 bit one to commute the use mode. I know, that it is a certain difficulty...

I don't know what do Gentoo, Arch, Slackware, linuxfromscratch or dragora (dragora is unique: it is a really small distro in both 32 and 64 bit version, using in priority the original GNU software, all the distributions compiled entirely from sources from GNU Idea , not from some Debian or Ubuntu or arch or gentoo as the other GNU certified distros like newsense, parabola, trisquel, or sleeping ututo, etc.: they are in the same situation as puppy making themselve dependent from those Debian or Ubuntu or arch or gentoo) in this case...

changes: name dragora amended adequate to the use on the distro site itself!

Last edited by slackfan on Fri 02 Oct 2015, 04:09; edited 3 times in total
musher0

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct 2015, 16:50    Post subject:  

@slackfan:
Have you got an URL for the mandroga distro? Thanks in advance.

Very good point also about USB sticks becoming obsolete the next day
and their casing being too small to write any label of value on it.

BFN.

musher0

slackfan

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct 2015, 04:06    Post subject:  

Hi Musher0

The most easy access to those distros is to use the presentations page of GNU for the free distros:

http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

The direct access is:

http://www.dragora.org/en/index.html

Note:

dragora is (probably) intended don't to be delivered as ISO containing binaries any more (last ISO was 2012, vers. 2.nn).

Version 3.0 (actual pre version) has to be build using a debootstrap script directly from git ...

as the creator explain on the site, you need time, patience, an actual linux having adequate and compatible software (probably old ISO 2012! I did use it, it did work really pretty. only one problem: as NuTyx for linuxfromscratch, this distro seems to be more interesting in creating a new approach of system as in giving user a finish system for all common uses... you have to add a lot of software and find yourself adequate sources to compile it in!). For example: read comments in concerning Linux Distributions Built For Anonymity!
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct 2015, 06:11    Post subject:  

slackfan wrote:

I did promise, never more to use a USB stick as it is a monumental environment error: the live time of USB sticks is to short as next day the same stick is old: the new stick with a double capacity cost the same price, the old stick desappears in an empty shoe box and will never more be used Mad

it will also never more be used as the most USB sticks are not concept to be reused: you can write nothing on the housing of them: no writing field as on traditional memory engines... you have to connect them really to see what did I save on it last week, last month, last year, 5 years ago: USB sticks are misconstructions!

You remind me of how I am when I haven't had my cup of coffee Smile

I used to churn through burn-once CDs and DVDs.

Regarding size of Flash stick, I just need big enough for testing Quirky, which is 8GB. The older smaller ones are there with archived stuff on them, still useful sometimes. Some of them are several years old.

I have collection of USB sticks, and I use writable sticky tape, not much space, but I write what version of pup/Quirky is on it.
No problem.

Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct 2015, 07:25    Post subject: Pendrives are still alive
Subject description: The best support for Puppies or similar ( so light and fast)

Very Happy vive les clés USBs et BK !
However 8Gb is big enough.
Wary 64 with 32 apps is expected.

slackfan

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct 2015, 10:13    Post subject:  

Dear Barry,

By all respect I have for your great work (its profit is very important for a great number of thousand of owners of old (and young and performant) hardware, as well sticks as CD have a terrible effect on our environment...). It is an error to promote solutions based on consumption of goods not needing at all!

I did have until 50 Puppy's on one unique partition! 200 MB x 10 x 5 = 10 GB + storage of the administration of those 10 GB!!!

in comparison with a (often really slow type of) stick with 8 GB for ONE (1) UNIQUE puppy, it is absolutely nothing, to play and, doing that, enhance leisure, yes, puppy is for a lot of user also an real hobby, discover, test, remaster, read on the different stuff of the divers puplets, as well as work hard studying or at job with Puppy, I would need 50 sticks for that, it is enormous more than pawns in a chess game...

I did live 2 complete years without fresh empty CD's. I was persuaded that the live time of CD's is passed (CD is an enormous mass of material and the coating contains highly precious stuffs...). but this year I did buy new CD's again after 2 years abstinence. because Linux as the Linux installations able to start in the mode named by us, puppyists, frugal mode, directly from harddisk, are becoming extremely rare today, a grief state really, more a technical back winding and at the same time an intolerable feeding for the public landfills. by using a computer having 2, 4, or 8 cores and 64 bit and 1, 2, or 4 Terra Byte HD and 4, 8, 16 or 36 GB RAM. Nonsens such a technical development.

my most genial Puppy was the hyper old puppy make all from and with only a CD RW (I suppose it was 1.03 or 1.05, but I am not certain; one of my most precious relics in my collection of old thing on the development of micro electronic! my CD RW would continue to possibly work, but to slow for today, because CD RW! At this time, my hard disk was broken, but Puppy for CD RW did save my computer along long months:)

It was possible to work without some HD or without some other floppy etc. at all: Puppy did start from each kind of memory engine being able to be started by the BIOS and all modes of GRUB (this has to include frugal modes) and I find

it was the optimal definition!
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: