Librepup 6.0.2.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
musher0

#301 Post by musher0 »

@tronkel:

Oh, I'm doing fine with LibrePup. It's a wonderful "incarnation" of Puppy.
I also like the concept of it being based entirely on free software. I've
come to realize that it's a must if we want to keep computing accessible
to all.

And now that I've discovered Trisquel's "abrowser", I can't live without it!!!

I agree with you that it would be quite an achievement for one of the
Puppies to have this FSF recognition. It would reflect on all Puppies, too,
I think. Hats off and congratulations once more to Iguleder, BTW.

Interesting that Mr. Stallman would recommend older IBM's as most
compatible with free software. On the face of it, you wouldn't think so.
It's sort of counter-intuitive, since "Big Blue" has been so identified with
closed patents in the past.

Anyway. Quite glad you're back! I hope you'll stay a long while. Can we
expect another hit like your Puppy-3.0.2 in the near future? :)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

tronkel

#302 Post by tronkel »

@musher0

It's probably more by accident than by design that some of the older IBM laptops are libre-friendly. I think RMS was referring to early Thinkpads that had on-board Intel graphics, Atheros wifi and a compatible Ethernet driver.

Talking about a future Puppy derivative, I've just installed Lubuntu Trusty 14.04 onto an old MacBook 3.1 for a friend of mine.

Old Apple hardware, but very nicely built and worked first time round with Lubuntu. Runs way better than the original OSX/Windows installation that got overwritten.

The point here is that Tahrpup64 (also Ubuntu compatible) appears - at first sight, to be a good candidate for using as a basis for a Puppy build that will run on Mac Intel-based hardware. The meager specs on these older Macs means that a minimalist distro like Tahrpup would really improve the performance of these old but still good laptops. The original Mac OS was very unresponsive on this machine.

I'll see how far I get with this - can't promise anything yet. I'll check out the Lubuntu packages and try to isolate any packages that would be required for install to a Mac and then include them in a Tahrpup Woof-CE build.

This would make Richard Stallman's beard twitch though. He hates both Apple and Ubuntu!

It would be quite ironic as well if Librepup had suitable packages available, that could be made to run on non-free hardware such as Apple. That would be a very cool hack.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Antipodal

#303 Post by Antipodal »

on Sat 19 Dec 2015 tronkel wrote:Awesome work! This distro looks as if it ought to be included in the Free Software Foundation's officially approved distro listings.

Richard Stallman can be contacted at:

rms@gnu.org

Not many distros actually do get an accreditation, but this one seems to possess the necessary attributes AFAIK.
on Mon 21 Dec 2015 musher0 wrote:Hello tronkel.

I agree with you. I think Iguleder should submit his LibrePup to the FSF.
LibrePup is "that good", IMO. However, he should give it a last polish, I
think, because* I found a few missing links, and while compiling the
new echinus, the "ar" aka "ranlib" in the devx went nuts...

BFN.
on Mon 21 Dec 2015 tronkel wrote:Comparing Librepup with the other FSF official offerings, it has the potential to overtake many if not all of them. It would be a statement to the world that Puppy has reached something of a pinnacle in it's development and now has the confidence to offer a libre version in it's catalogue lineup - apart from its practical attributes of course. Not so many distros can say that.
I strongly agree with tronkel
Unfortunately my knowledge about computing is far from being enough to endorse or oppose musher0's words.

But I do like Puppy distributions very much and I have read http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html.

In that URL, under the the header in line 377, the first paragraph says that if anyone thinks there is a distribution that qualifies for a listing under FSF guidelines, s/he should let the distribution's mantainers know about the upmentioned page and encourage them to get in touch because they wil be welcomed.

The next paragraph is addressed to mantainers, and has a link to the
Free System Distribution Guidelines and provides this e-mail address: <licensing@fsf.org>
It also says that after the mantainers send to this address an introduction and a link to the unlisted distribution, the FSF will explain more about the evaluation process and will get started on it quickly.

I know that there are a lot of chances that Iguleder and his team are aware of what I have just written.
However, because I think that these steps should be taken as soon as possible and before contacting rms (as has been suggested above) I have highlighted them here.
I consider that LibrePup and this thread are such important achievements that they deserve, from time to time, being softly bumped up.

On the other hand, if there is a place in Iguleder's team for someone who knows almost nothing about computers but is very interested and willing to learn and help, please, let me know.
Last edited by Antipodal on Tue 08 Mar 2016, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
Posting from a P4 3Ghz_ASUS P5G41T-M LX3_2G RAM_DVD Write desktop with no internal HDD
Saving my stuff on flash sticks and in external USB HDD

foxh0und

#304 Post by foxh0und »

Outstanding!

This is most excellent work - thank you Iguleder

After finishing the rebuild on the recently acquired T60 - Librepup will be the main OS :)

And I agree with the previous statements - hope Iguleder contacts the FSF and gets on the list

Highly suspect Librepup will be very popular there
ΨΦ! μ~πζ≈∞Ω
"Listen to me! When you die in Alaska you die in real life!"

calmsoul

#305 Post by calmsoul »

foxh0und wrote:Outstanding!

This is most excellent work - thank you Iguleder

After finishing the rebuild on the recently acquired T60 - Librepup will be the main OS :)

And I agree with the previous statements - hope Iguleder contacts the FSF and gets on the list

Highly suspect Librepup will be very popular there
Two things, is librepup still being updated, and does anyone know what i would have to do to install it on libreboot x200 laptop?

musher0

#306 Post by musher0 »

Hello calmsoul.

Welcome to the kennels! :D

I'm not in iguleder's mind of course, but I wouldn't think it needs an update, it was published
at the end of October 2015.

What is a "libreboot x200 laptop"? Never heard of it. Got a picture? An URL?

Puppies run on a lot of machines, you know. Also, we're a pragmatic bunch, here. We try it
and then we ask questions! :twisted:

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

darry1966

#307 Post by darry1966 »

https://minifree.org/product/libreboot-x200/

"The Libreboot X200 is a modified ThinkPad X200 (itself a rebranded Wistron design) containing reconditioned parts"
Last edited by darry1966 on Sat 12 Mar 2016, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#308 Post by musher0 »

Thanks, darry.

Interesting machine.

@calmsoul

It looks like a regular PC! So...

If you have the docking station with the CD/DVD drive or if you can connect a
portable burner to your libreboot, it should be as simple as burning the librepup iso to
DVD and booting librepup from this DVD. Once librepup is up, you can do a frugal
install of it. A frugal install would be the best solution, IMO, since you already have
the Trisquel OS on there, and don't want to disturb it.

Once librepup is installed even frugally on the HD, launching it will be much faster.

If you don't have a DVD burner, there's an easy way to boot librepup by adding an
entry for it to the existing booter list that Trisquel uses. In this case you'd also need
to create a dedicated folder for librepup and copy all the files from the iso there. But
we'd need to know what that booter is (syslinux, grub, grub2?) to write up a proper
entry.

Finally, I know you can transform a regular iso into an hybrid iso and use it on a
USB stick that has the "boot" flag on -- to boot any Puppy from a USB stick.
(I can't remember if the librepup iso is already an hybrid iso that you can use both
for a DVD and for a USB stick.)

Apparently it's not complicated to transform a regular iso into a hybrid iso. Someone
else would have to guide you, though, because I've never done it.

I hope this helps.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

calmsoul

also i wondered,

#309 Post by calmsoul »

I hope there will be in the future.
although i wonder if that is why, i am having trouble installing it.

musher0

Re: also i wondered,

#310 Post by musher0 »

calmsoul wrote:I hope there will be in the future.
although i wonder if that is why, i am having trouble installing it.
Hello calmsoul.

What "will be in the future", please? I do not understand.

Thanks in advance.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

calmsoul

#311 Post by calmsoul »

will there be a 64 bit version in the future,

is what i was asking.

also, i tried your instructions, they didn't work for some reason.

musher0

#312 Post by musher0 »

Hello again, calmsoul.

I elaborated on suggestion #2 here.

I hope it's not too much of a charade for you.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Pelo

Themes and background

#313 Post by Pelo »

JWM theme: jwm_theme_librepup-1.pet
Wallpaper: librepup_wallpapers-1.pet
Downloaded from archives.org because link seems broken (page 2)
Non free firmware ? 64 bits, all that is worth to be cleared in my head, i don't realize what it is exactly..
Firmware is included in the kernel : I never wonder if it was free or not.
64 bits is a double runaway faster when 32 bits is not enough (Slow browser would be a non-sense).
that how i understand it, as Pae would be a turbo starting when 4GB RAM is full (HIMEM ?).
Trisquel PPM only provides free apps. well. Ubuntu now provides many apps if you pay dollars, but in Tahrpup PPM, packages are still free.
Iso downloading, to check the improvment (version 190MB), practice often is more explicite than a long speech :) Within five minutes, LibrePup will be running (multiboot usb, grub4dos)
Hots shots : already tried, well, a little bit more complicated than screeny.

Pelo

it was a hard take off for the albatros...

#314 Post by Pelo »

yes,
when you practice, things are much more difficult than theorical demo,
No wireless pilots found , but i never use ethernet cable because
my adsl box it far from 800 kms. I always use sans fil (wireless)
provided by the community SFR. I can move my laptop outside
Even at home, i am never linked by cable, cause i move with the laptop.
No wireless no web... No Facebook, no You Tube
So i write you with Puppy Legopen, besides Librepup on my Pendrive
Multiboot. Wall papers are well known of puppy users, I will renew with
pets provided by archives.org..
Where could i find the wireless firmware iwlwifi ?
To morrow is another day..
Attachments
hotshot.jpg
LibrePup copied as Adrive to Legopen (wireless available to surf the web)
(57.13 KiB) Downloaded 609 times
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.

darry1966

#315 Post by darry1966 »

What ????????????????

Pelo

I run Librepup as Adrive

#316 Post by Pelo »

The gull -not albatross- had difficulty in taking off, the default background bird.

I run Librepup as Adrive of Legopen, wireless connection available now.
Seamonkey loaded as browser on the fly (icecast asks for passport, but
there is no password to enter, not now, only when browser is
launched
)

Normal configuration : i am Libre, closed in the zoo, or Jail, protected from predators and myself. A keeper at the entrance prohibit people to enter and visit me, unless they got an auchweiss (laisser-passer)
Waiting for drivers iwlwifi. looked in firmware and not found in LibrePUP..
Libre is not for my laptop, i fail with iwlwifi, perhaps license is not free, i don't know. What i would like is to use Puppy simply, without dealing with all that requests in English. Even if i would to be leashed to my box, i wouldn't be able to, because my wife kept my leash and the box, until she gets her freedom, retiring from work with a boss. .

Libre or Secured, no entrance, that is not the same..
Attachments
ethernetonly.jpg
Pelo, embarrassed and confused,
Swore, though somewhat later, that he would never be
tricked thus again. Jail is not freedom !
(64.16 KiB) Downloaded 1056 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 28 Aug 2016, 05:59, edited 4 times in total.

Pelo

librepup 6.0.2.0 (sdb1/LibrePup)

#317 Post by Pelo »

LibrePup is on the hot seat ! :) Fasten your seat-belt !
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 28 Aug 2016, 06:02, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Icecat will not surf far from the beach

#318 Post by Pelo »

Icecat will not surf far from the beach. You can let you dad using LibrePup, he could'nt reach you tube and its X videos
Daddy, embarrassed and confused,
Swore, though somewhat later, that he would never be
tricked thus again.

darry1966

#319 Post by darry1966 »

Yes the background wallpaper in Puppy or one of them is a Gull not an Albatross well done.

On offense Pelo but one minute you talk about wireless issues and next about bloody vague bird references. Try to stick to one topic at a time and begin a new paragraph for a new topic.

Pelo

without wireless i cannot surf the web..

#320 Post by Pelo »

darry1966, wireless allows you to go outside with your computer, it's freedom, that is why i compare it with albatross
I am far from 800 kms from my box, (the family's box, should i say) :) no ethernet cable available for such a distance..
Even inside , without wireless i cannot surf the web.. i am like the albatross stuck on the deck
Médor, our french engineer, the stable one, told me the reason , stuff miss because non Libre. I don't want to break the challenge.
Dr es Puppy Médor analyse here "Pour ton WiFi Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 sous Librepup, il te faut récupérer le fichier /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-6000g2b-5.ucode (v18.168.6.1 pour les noyaux >= K3.2). "