Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 09 Feb 2016, 06:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
/etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc overwrite /root/.jwmrc
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 23 Sep 2015, 05:53    Post subject:  /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc overwrite /root/.jwmrc  

I know that it is a bad idea to make changes to /root/.jwmrc, and that I should instead make changes to /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc and let that overwrite /root/.jwmrc

My question is - after making changes to /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc what exactly do I need to do to force an update of /root/.jwmrc?

I thought all I needed to do was a restart or reload of jwm but that does not work. I seem to need to do a restart of X but do not know if that is normal. (My puppy is a modified Slacko 5.6 and I have changed the layering so that my personal sfs takes precedence over the puppy sfs so maybe i have stuffed something up).

After changing /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc I also tried fixmenus, but no, that didnt work. Only a restart of X forces the overwrite of /root/.jwmrc

Is this normal??
cheers.
01micko

PostPosted: Wed 23 Sep 2015, 06:23    Post subject:  

You're on the right track.

First run fixmenus.

The jwm -reload.

Ah but you say that fails? Try jwm -restart

I forget what version of jwm is in 5.6 but a universal oneliner is:

Code:
jwm -reload || jwm -restart

So, if you wanted a clickable script..

Code:
#/bin/ash
fixmenus
#if supported execs -reload, falls back to restart

Of course set it to executable.

You can use /bin/bash if you wish. But that is the topic of another thread (around this forum somewhere).

MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Wed 23 Sep 2015, 06:45    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
So, if you wanted a clickable script..
Code:
#/bin/ash
fixmenus
#if supported execs -reload, falls back to restart
No, this will work only if changes were made to menu related sections of /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc. If changes were made to key bindings or other settings jwm -reload will have no effect.

As a universal script
Code:
#!/bin/sh
fixmenus
jwm -restart
should always work.
01micko

PostPosted: Wed 23 Sep 2015, 07:26    Post subject:  

@MochiMoppel

True, but most of these are masked in various other jwm configuration files, with the exception of <Group> & <StartupCommand>.

MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Wed 23 Sep 2015, 08:52    Post subject: Re: /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc overwrite /root/.jwmrc  

greengeek wrote:
My question is - after making changes to /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc what exactly do I need to do to force an update of /root/.jwmrc?
fixmenus will do the overwrite/update of /root/.jwmrc (notice the message after starting fixmenus: "Generating /root/.jwmrc..".). In fact fixmenus will generate proper menu files of all templates it finds in /etc/xdg/templates. This is completely independent of the actually used window manager. E.g. Slacko up to v5.6 included a template _root_.icewm_menu and running fixmenus would also create a (completely useless) IceWM menu.

After /root/.jwmrc has changed you have to make JWM aware of the change. This is done by jwm -reload or jwm -restart. When in doubt use the latter (jwm -restart includes the functionality of jwm -reload . jwm -reload reloads only menus, but doesn't produce screen flicker).

You also have to use jwm -restart after making manual changes to /root/.jwmrc-tray or /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal, the files that would spare you the trouble of making changes in /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc and also the files that "JWM Window Manager Settings" and similar frontend tools are writing to.
greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 23 Sep 2015, 15:58    Post subject:  

Thank you both for the clarification. What triggered my interest in this was learning about rox panels as a configurable "quickstart" method for accessing programmes. Don't know why I haven't used them before - they are quite handy. Very much looking forward to your proposed modification to your menu-to-shortcut utility Mochi. Since you mentioned the rox panels I have found a number of threads referencing rox panels and each has their strengths and weaknesses but I think the ability to build a panel direct from menu entries would be quite handy.

Just for future reference here are some of the methods I'm scrutinising:
Technosaurus concept
Seasides Idrivepanel
Mavrothals jwm apps-panel
01mickos panel applet
DaveS launchbar
01micko

PostPosted: Wed 23 Sep 2015, 16:06    Post subject:  

@greengeek

That jwm panel I posted is ancient. I think mavrothal's was an improvement. Although, they both rely on extra config files.

Technosaurus' jwm_tools does not so much. It's a good one but is entirely bash so may require a bit of a learning curve. I used it in slacko-5.4 but it did have some short comings when users wanted to install stuff like KDE apps from the repo.

Actual rox panels are somtething I haven't used mush. IIRC ttuuxxx did some stuff with them.

I see seaside's version uses gtkdialog. Well you are bit spoiled for choice. Smile

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: