To who might have control of Networking tray icon in Puppy

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
april

To who might have control of Networking tray icon in Puppy

#1 Post by april »

Looking closely at this I have noticed it is pretty well meaningless as it stands and is detached from what is happening in the script.

My suggestion is this .
Icon plus a cross when it is not connected
Icon flashing when it is being connected
Icon with a tick through it when ,and only when , it is successfully connected with the usual activity indicator.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

In Tahrpup 6.0.3
Icon plus a cross when it is not connected.
Yes, it does this already.
Icon flashing when it is being connected.
May do this, but it usually connects so fast that not much time to show.
Icon with a tick through it when ,and only when , it is successfully connected with the usual activity indicator.
The icon is just there with no red X over it to indicate connected.
Does flash to show activity.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

april

#3 Post by april »

bigpup wrote:In Tahrpup 6.0.3
Icon flashing when it is being connected.
May do this, but it usually connects so fast that not much time to show.It takes up to about 20 seconds to connect a wifi adaptor properly so it is useable . This is the problem area. Sitting with say an email reader ,browser or other program which needs to acess the internet open, waiting for it to connect properly but the icon shows "connected" when it is not .
The icon is just there with no red X over it to indicate connected.
Does flash to show activity.Thats why I suggest the tick so you can be sure we are now properly and completely connected , the flashing bit is terrific and useful

ETP

#4 Post by ETP »

@ april,

You are correct that the wireless may take up to 20 seconds or so to connect.
During that period there is a process of "negotiation" going on between the
adaptor & the wireless router/access point.
During that period it is not a good idea to launch anything that attempts to
connect to the internet. At best it will slow down that process at worst it
may interfere with it.
Only after an I/P address has been aquired should you launch your browser or email.

A small pet to display when that has happened can be found here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 739#810739

It requires conky to be installed which can generally be found via PPM if it is not already installed.

EDIT - 12th Sept:

If the V1 pet in the link above does not give transparency with your particular Pup
please use instead the V2 version from Rapid Pup attached which should force transparency
so that the IP address is not permanently surrounded by a black block.
Attachments
ConkyIPshow-V2.pet
(975 Bytes) Downloaded 273 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

april

#5 Post by april »

Thanks .I gave them both a run but see no difference and no new menu entry or boxes around icons and did the restart x and reboot. Where should I look and what am I looking for?

ETP

#6 Post by ETP »

Hi april,

There is no new menu entry as one is not needed.
Assuming you did install Conky you should see something similar to that below
with the I/P address showing in the top right hand corner of the screen once
the wireless card/adaptor has aquired it.
Attachments
ipshow.jpg
(63.27 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]

april

#7 Post by april »

OK Thanks
I tried both, carefully ,doing all the x restarts and even reboots but nothing appears in Precise 5.7.1.

ETP

#8 Post by ETP »

Hi april,

1. Please check in HTOP that the pet is running. If it is you should see this entry on the list:
  • conky -c /etc/conky/conkyip.conf
2. If that does appear then conky is correctly installed and it may be that you just need to
change your wallpaper as white text on a white background would be invisible.

3. If that entry does not appear in HTOP then there is a problem with conky itself.
Make sure that you have installed the version in the shot below.
Attachments
image-3.png
(72.31 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Regards ETP

april

#9 Post by april »

Tried it from PPManager to no avail first screenshot is after x restart Changed backgrounds on all tries in case.

But getting a better idea of what you are trying to get to . Conky is an image viewer yeh? So I need all of conky installed then add your pet which just shows the IP on the desktop. Checked on htop
conky -c /etc/conky/conkyip.conf

OK When I restart x I get an error loading a background image that looks like this second screenshot

So clearly its not finding the image it seeks on my machine
Attachments
After install.png
(94.21 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
error report conky.png
OK When I restart x I get an error loading a background image that looks like this
(8.47 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
Last edited by april on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 11:16, edited 4 times in total.

01micko

#10 Post by 01micko »

april,

The old 'network_tray' as it was known is inefficient and uses too many resources. I rewrote it almost from scratch recently (with much help from forum member mikeb ) and it includes the IP address in the 'tool tip' (the 'balloon' when you hover your cursor over the icon) so you know when you are connected.

Your suggestions in the OP are valid and possible but they too would introduce unnecessary CPU cycles.

if you would like to try it see this post and I recommend you peruse the thread for a bit of background information.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

april

#11 Post by april »

No sweat Micko Its just that I like to know when it is properly connected and right now the only way is to watch the adaptor flashes as it negotiates .

That thread getting into cairo ,pango and other deep stuff is beyond me .Guess Ill just leave it all as it is . At least it works at that.
Last edited by april on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.

april

#12 Post by april »

I got that message to disable the tray and that threw me but I eventually just changed permissions to non executeable in /root/Startup.

Then your tray came up and the network stuff as advertised and it does indeed not say connected until it actually is !
Pity there is no activity flashes though . Guess its all a compromise hey.

Brilliant Thanks Micko

april

#13 Post by april »

Just a couple of things I have since noticed .

Firstly Micko your tray program does not realise when it has been disconnected by the router. Barry's doesn't either which gives the rather strange result that the icons say connected and the modem is switched off.

A bit like modern cars . Everything is connected to the computer so if it floods you can't hold your foot on the gas pedal to clear it anymore . It isn't connected to the gas.

Secondly in addition to your program "Conky" not running at all ETP your IP pet actually removes whatever background image I am using.

ETP

#14 Post by ETP »

Hi April,
You are not having much luck with this issue.
The "error loading backdrop" appeared IIRC, in 5.7.1, Slacko & Quirky 6 before finally
getting fixed in woof & woof CE in later Pups. I suspect that the ConkyIPshow-V2.pet
is provoking that error in 5.7.1.

Try uninstalling that using PPM then reboot a few times and get your wallpaper back to normal.
Then install the ConkyIPshow-V1.pet to see if that then works. (It will not have any effect on
the wallpaper)

If the above does not work you may be best switching to the latest "official Puppy"
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 294#805294
which resolved a lot of problems and enjoys ongoing support & updates.
Regards ETP

april

#15 Post by april »

Yerh Thanks I am D/ling it now to have a look .How time flys Precise 5.7.1 is about 2 years old already.Usually though my Wi Fi adaptor does not work without a driver compile in the used kernel so we will see.

april

#16 Post by april »

ETP . It looks good and I would like to use it but again the problem with compiling the WiFi Realtech driver stops me . They have not fixed it in the kernel yet ,despite my moaning, perhaps soon after my recent moan.

Micko. I notice also on Barry's "network_tray" program the icon shows as connected as soon as you start to configure the device by scanning for a network and stays that way all the time regardless unless it does not connect in which case it shows the red cross. I didn't check yours when I had it installed but I presume it does the same thing . It seems clear that your "complete rewrite" rather was a rehash of pretty much the same stuff in the same order as Barry's code wasn't it . Apart from showing the IP in tool tips and a change of icon . I noticed that the reported data usages seemed more accurate too. The fact though that at least it does not show it is connected when its not ,unless the modem is switched off later, is a definite plus.

I wondered if it could be possible to get this tray program doing what it should properly regardless of CPU usage and offering a working version if people want it . I would be very happy to assist in this in any way I can . I can write bash scripts but my knowledge of that and Puppy's scripts is limited.

Hey 200 posts and not banned for being too frank -thats a milestone for me

01micko

#17 Post by 01micko »

april wrote:Firstly Micko your tray program does not realise when it has been disconnected by the router. Barry's doesn't either which gives the rather strange result that the icons say connected and the modem is switched off.

A bit like modern cars . Everything is connected to the computer so if it floods you can't hold your foot on the gas pedal to clear it anymore . It isn't connected to the gas.
I find that your finding is very strange. The design is that as soon as your connection drops the IP address the disconnected icon should appear. This has been tested several times.
april wrote:Micko. I notice also on Barry's "network_tray" program the icon shows as connected as soon as you start to configure the device by scanning for a network and stays that way all the time regardless unless it does not connect in which case it shows the red cross. I didn't check yours when I had it installed but I presume it does the same thing . It seems clear that your "complete rewrite" rather was a rehash of pretty much the same stuff in the same order as Barry's code wasn't it . Apart from showing the IP in tool tips and a change of icon . I noticed that the reported data usages seemed more accurate too. The fact though that at least it does not show it is connected when its not ,unless the modem is switched off later, is a definite plus.
netmon_wce doesn't do this. As stated, a connected icon only shows when there is a valid IP address.

It is a complete rewrite. I asked you to read through the thread but you said it's a a bit too technical. That's ok, I don't expect everyone to be an expert!
april wrote:I wondered if it could be possible to get this tray program doing what it should properly regardless of CPU usage and offering a working version if people want it . I would be very happy to assist in this in any way I can . I can write bash scripts but my knowledge of that and Puppy's scripts is limited.
I believe it is doing what it should. CPU usage for a tray icon should be minimal and that was that was one of the main objectives of my rewrite.

I am happy to hear your complaints and bug reports but it's probably better off to move this discussion to the netmon_wce thread. I can explain to you exactly what the code is doing if you wish and you can tell me if that part is working for you or not. We have to approach this in a methodical, constructive way to find out why it isn't working properly for you.

I look forward to your comments here.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

solo

#18 Post by solo »

You can make your own set of icons for the network-tray if you want to.

The location of the icons that make up all the different network states is /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/network_tray-xpm/

I made a custom set for myself in Inkscape, exporting it to xpm format.

But making it look good is a bigger challenge then expected. It is a very small image after all.

april

#19 Post by april »

Huh huh , any chance of a look at your icons?

solo

#20 Post by solo »

Sure. :)

I've made these for a specific tray color, and as you can see, some of them came out quite garbled, but since I never use a mobile/wifi/ethernet combo connection myself, I never get those in my tray anyway.

What is nice about these is that you get a clear animated view of the in and out traffic.

I've arranged them here as they would appear alphabetically in the /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/network_tray-xpm/ folder
Attachments
network_tray_icons.png
(32.71 KiB) Downloaded 461 times