Appril, a pup for Android developers

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ETP

Appril, a pup for Android developers

#31 Post by ETP »

Google Chrome for Quirky Appril 7.1 (i686) k3.17.8

For anyone who wishes to run the latest stable 32-bit version of Chrome (44.0.2403.157)within Appril.

CAVEAT:

Please be aware that in order to acheive this it has been necessary to disable ALL sandboxing
within Chrome including rendering. Do not install it if you consider that an unacceptable risk
in the context of a LINUX development environment.

Installation:

Please install the attached pet together with the "ChromeLibsForApril_i686.pet" (390KB) from here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

The initial launch of the item "Get Latest Chrome Version" on the JWM Internet sub-menu will install Chrome & set it as the default browser.
Await a final Pop Up message (White text on a blue background)before first launching Chrome.

Subsequent Update of Chrome:

Please use PPM to uninstall the existing version then run "Get Latest Chrome Version" again.
Follow the prompts and await a final invitation (White text on a blue background) to launch the new version.

The latest info on Google Chrome releases can be found here:
http://www.googlechromereleases.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
GetLatest32bitChromeVersion-V4.pet
This pet is only for use with Appril 7.1 (i686) k3.17.8
(43.54 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#32 Post by BarryK »

futwerk wrote:a few backgrounds.
futwerk,
As usual, you have created lovely backgrounds!
Thanks for those. I particularly like #3, to go with the current green theme.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Appril, a pup for Android developers

#33 Post by BarryK »

ETP wrote:BarryK wrote:
Oh yes, it has Samba 4.2.3, the full package, but I haven't put in anything to use it. I know that there has been work done by 01micko and others, for the pups, maybe someone could look into this and suggest what I could add to the next release.
Please find attached for consideration a front-end pet for Samba.
I must point out that my input was limited to the re-packaging of work done by other forum members including:

mikeb
01micko
rcrsn51
gcmartin

No scripts or conf files were changed.

Before launching, please ensure that you also install gtkdialog4-0.8.3-i486 using PPM or rather Quirky Package Manager.

Having installed both pets reboot before first launching SSM from the network sub-menu.
Thanks for you work on this. I'm a bit otherwise-engaged right now (working with Appmethod, see my blog!), but will get back to this forum thread sometime.

Regarding gtkdialog, Appril has version 0.8.3 already.

There is a pre-release of 0.8.4 available, that zibgert requires for some of his latest projects. I never updated to that, as the developer never took it to a final 0.8.4 release.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Your Windows 7 activity light always flashing

#34 Post by BarryK »

Rodney Byne wrote:To BK,

Barry,
in your blog "Appmethod looking good", you mention your
Windows 7 hard drive light is constantly flashing.

This is caused by the files indexing is turned on, on the C: drive.

To turn this facility off and save hard drive wear & tear:

Open windows explorer
Point mouse cursor to the C: drive
Right click & down to the Properties dialogue box & left click to open
Uncheck the box "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed
in addition to file properties"

Hopefully this action should stop unwanted file indexing.
Best regards.
Rodney,
Thanks for that info.

It is a bit disconcerting to see the hard drive activity light flashing when you aren't actually doing anything on the computer, even Internet disconnected.

Running Appril right now, have written down your instructions.

Hmmm, with Windows 10, there will be real cause for concern, as you will know that Windows will be busy in the background sending off your private information.

ETP

Re: Appril, a pup for Android developers

#35 Post by ETP »

Hi Barry,
BarryK wrote:
Regarding gtkdialog, Appril has version 0.8.3 already.
The Samba Frontend does not work with the woof installed version:

Code: Select all

gtkdialog-0.8.3|gtkdialog|0.8.3||BuildingBlock|256K| ..... [t2-april-official]
It requires the installation of gtkdialog4 from [pet-common-official]

gtkdialog4-0.8.3-i486|gtkdialog4|0.8.3-i486||BuildingBlock|276K|
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

gcmartin

#36 Post by gcmartin »

Today, I gave another go at creating using Barry's Option B. Again, I followed his steps to the letter. And, I used the recommendations in his option B electing to allow that utility to build the stick using EXT4 without journaling.

Here is a console log which might be useful as I attempted to build this to a 16GB USB stick. Hope the messages shown are helpful as the utility progress to zero the stick, create the stick, verify it, and to create a compressed image of the drive. The build is started by opening a window from a folder where all of Appril's files are contained.

root# ./installquirky.x86
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing installquirky  100%  
Uncompressing appril-7.1.usfs.xz to appril-7.1.usfs...
Some preliminaries on the sdb...
Size of drive=15272MB
dd: writing '/dev/sdb': No space left on device
3819+0 records in
3818+0 records out
16013852672 bytes (14.9GB) copied, 1350.786490 seconds, 11.3MB/s
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
440 bytes (440B) copied, 0.004468 seconds, 96.2KB/s
mkfs.fat 3.0.26 (2014-03-07)
mkfs.fat: warning - lowercase labels might not work properly with DOS or Windows
mke2fs 1.42.9 (4-Feb-2014)
Filesystem label=quirky2
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
936560 inodes, 3745792 blocks
0 blocks (0.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=3837788160
115 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
8144 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks: 
	32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208

Allocating group tables: done                            
Writing inode tables: done                            
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done   

/tmp/selfgz13836880/popadd: eval: line 31: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
/tmp/selfgz13836880/popadd: eval: line 32: syntax error: unexpected end of file
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
440 bytes (440B) copied, 1.546935 seconds, 284B/s
3664+0 records in
3664+0 records out
15367929856 bytes (14.3GB) copied, 8419.611174 seconds, 1.7MB/s

(gtkdialog:6428): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 1 char 104: Element 'markup' was closed, but the currently open element is 'drive'
(gtkdialog:6428): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 1 char 104: Element 'markup' was closed, but the currently open element is 'drive'
Completed Appril Stick booted on a 64bit BIOS non touch PC.

Question
Do these messages indicate a problem with the 16GB USB stick?

Curious

gcmartin

#37 Post by gcmartin »

Using eClipse and the ADT, you can download and built for ANY or every known Android. Barry has selected a limit so that he doesn't have to download the complete plethora of Android versions. Thus once you are running, you can have the development tool pull for any minimum Android you want.

Thus, NO user is locked out in your development options.

The development platform allows you to develop for the minimum Android device you expect your users to use. The Androids of era 2 and 3 are considered feature phones today as their screen sizes do not allow much meaningful information to be displayed, not to mention the processor for those are extremely slow by comparison. Further most feature phone users are old people who want ONLY a phone and rarely will look for apps. I cant find it now, but I did see a report which broke Androids versions into known age groups of users. If anyone finds it share it. I can not find my copy of that.

Hope this clarifies,a little, as there is really a lot to learn. It is SO DIFFERENT from how we have seen PUPs on PC. With PUPs typically we have a box with a detachable keyboard, a detachable mouse, a detached screen, cards we add, USBs we use for sound and wifi, etc.

Android devices have no such. So when you write, you, the developer,is deciding WHICH community of device capabilities your app will work on. In doing so, you designate that minimum device at the beginning of your build.

This is why you will sometimes see multiple apps from a vendor which by description seems to do the same thing. But, because of device limitations and performances, they must make separate apps as such.

You will too.

This is so new to our PUPPY community and it brings a whole new world of technology views which comes with it. Its an exciting combination that is just starting here in Puppyland.

gcmartin

#38 Post by gcmartin »

@BarryK. In the next version could touch screen tracking be improved?

Rattlehead

#39 Post by Rattlehead »

Thank you so much Barry for this great achievement, you who have given us all so much already :)

I've run into some issues with the installation. Pardon the newbieness:

1) The App Inventor version included, is the regular MIT one, or another offline version called Live AI?

2) Does Appril include eclipse? It does not appear in the list of programs in the release announcement...

and 3) The frugal installer asks for a folder containing the vmlinuz and initrd.q files. What on earth is an initrd.q file? Last time I checked the file was called initrd.img, although truth be told it's been a while since I last tinkered with my bootloader. Maybe my Grub is obsolete?

There is no information about initrd.q on the forum, and in Barry's News only this entry: http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00173, which I don't understand:
Quirky live-CD and frugal installations consist of two files, 'vmlinuz' and 'initrd.q'. The latter is a cpio archive, with all of Quirky as a file 'q.sfs' inside it.
The 'q' letter makes think of some kind of customization required by Quirky, but then, do you need to have an older Quirky version installed before you can try Appril? Doesn't look like it, as the installer file for Appril is called 'installquirky.x86'. So where can I get one of those initrd.q, to try the distro?

(In all my naivete I tried copying initrd.img as initrd.q, but naturally it did not do the trick, the installer threw an error... :( )

mpierrat25

GRUB4DOS / APPRIL

#40 Post by mpierrat25 »

Finally I managed to boot from grub4dos on my AOA150 :

Both method A or B are OK regarding installing the package, however grub proposed code from method B does not work.

In fact my machine does not recognize f2fs uuid partition.

Here is the trick (?) I used :

- copy fat partition contents from the SD created appril in a directory visible by grub4dos ( in my case /sda2 fat) and use it as a bootstrap.

see my menu.lst :

# menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.8.0
color white/blue black/cyan white/black cyan/black
splashimage=/splash.xpm
timeout 10
default 0

title Quirky 7.1 (full install on sda3)
   uuid EC89-968C
  kernel /quirky/vmlinuz root=PARTUUID=000dd6f8-03 rootwait rw

title Quirky 7.1 (full install on USB stick)
   uuid EC89-968C
  kernel /quirky/vmlinuz root=PARTUUID=9adad0e4-02 rootwait rw

# Frugal installed Puppy
title Puppy slacko 5.6 (sda2/puppy)
  uuid EC89-968C
  kernel /puppy/vmlinuz   psubdir=puppy pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /puppy/initrd.gz

#Android
title Android 4.4 ( sda2/android-4.4-r3 )
	uuid EC89-968C
	kernel /android-4.4-r3/kernel root=/dev/sda2 androidboot.hardware=android_x86 video=-16 SRC=/android-4.4-r3
	initrd /android-4.4-r3/initrd.img 

# Windows
title Windows
  uuid 2CECB178ECB13CC0
  chainloader /ntldr

# Advanced Menu
title Advanced menu
  configfile /menu-advanced.lst
  commandline
Note I have now 3 ways to boot the USB stick :
- Bios booting menu
- entry 2 in the menu
- advanced menu
!!!

Still impossible to boot from SDcard (not recognized by Bios)

linuxcbon

#41 Post by linuxcbon »

hi Barry,
- are you aware of the bug of xorg.conf needing AutoAddDevices set to false.
- what did you set in sysinit for sound hardware, to avoid "sound hdaudioC1D0: HDMI ATI/AMD: no speaker allocation for ELD" ?
- I don't think it's a good idea to have /var as a symlink. I prefer to have it as a normal folder and mounted as tmpfs.
cheers

futwerk

#42 Post by futwerk »

Thanks, BarryK, here are a few more.
Attachments
appril5c.jpg
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/x4v77bi1p58ox/puppy2013
(34.3 KiB) Downloaded 587 times
appril5.jpg
(12.83 KiB) Downloaded 592 times
appril4.jpg
(18.24 KiB) Downloaded 598 times

Rattlehead

#43 Post by Rattlehead »

Hey guys, could someone at least throw me a one-liner on what is the initrd.q file and where to find it? Once I had that, I think I could solve the rest of my doubts on my own. Thank you.

L18L

initrd.q

#44 Post by L18L »

Rattlehead wrote:Hey guys, could someone at least throw me a one-liner on what is the initrd.q file and where to find it? Once I had that, I think I could solve the rest of my doubts on my own. Thank you.
No one-liner but one picture from april64 not appril.
Hope you will get better answers.
Attachments
initrd.q.png
click on iso
click on initrd.q
(20.23 KiB) Downloaded 442 times

Rattlehead

#45 Post by Rattlehead »

Hey L18L, thank you for the screenshot. They say an image is worth a thousand words, so that's a lot of one liners there! :P

I'll download April64 as soon as I find it (the Ibiblio link is down, and the only other link I've found is via Pirate Bay, which gets blocked in the library where I usually get my Internet access).

Anyways, once I get the distro the process seems straightforward: mount the iso, get the initrd.q file and put it where Appril's installer script can find it, and good to go, so thank you!

gcmartin

#46 Post by gcmartin »

@Rattlehead, et al. The requirement for a 64bit distro has been brought to @BarryK's attention. Developers in the world who would do Android anything would have a PC that is minimally as old as Android itself. That would be a PC acquired in the last decade. ALL new PCs built since 2005 were built with the 64bit manufacturing spec. That spec is 64bit.

The primary element in a developer's system is RAM. In Android development, this is especially needed for both its visualizations and for running the Android emulator.

I am sure @BarryK is aware and I am sure he will respond with a system that will match better what Android developers need.

Looking forward, as well.

disciple

#47 Post by disciple »

Hi Barry, this isn't about Appril, but since you still have a no comments blog, hopefully you're still monitoring this thread.
You're working on a Quirky with 64bit kernel and 32bit userspace. My questions are:
1) have you thought about providing both 64bit and 32bit kernel, so it still supports old hardware?
2) Are you talking about a "true" 64bit kernel + 32 bit userspace, or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X32_ABI?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

BarryK
Puppy Master

#48 Post by BarryK »

disciple wrote:Hi Barry, this isn't about Appril, but since you still have a no comments blog, hopefully you're still monitoring this thread.
You're working on a Quirky with 64bit kernel and 32bit userspace. My questions are:
1) have you thought about providing both 64bit and 32bit kernel, so it still supports old hardware?
2) Are you talking about a "true" 64bit kernel + 32 bit userspace, or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X32_ABI?
disciple,
Thanks for that link, it has the info I was wondering about -- the x32-abi was introduced with the 3.4 kernel.

I have posted that link and more to my blog:
http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00252

The speed of what I have dubbed "neo-64" is the most facinating thing, something that I had not realised until now.

I am looking to consolidate Quirky, reduce the builds that I have to upload, so I am probably going to stop building with a 32-bit kernel -- but that is still a maybe.

So, yes, 64-bit kernel, with the "x32-abi" option enabled, so it runs 32-bit applications in the 64-bit address-space and effectively doubles the number of registers available.

Each application will see only 4GB, but 4GB for one app is pretty phenomenal. So if you have a PC with 12GB RAM, say, you could have the situation where individual apps have an entire 4GB completely to themselves.

amigo

#49 Post by amigo »

Does anyone know where the android-studio files are located in the filesystem in Appril? And how to invoke the program?

L18L

astudio

#50 Post by L18L »

amigo wrote:Does anyone know where the android-studio files are located in the filesystem in Appril? And how to invoke the program?
There is an icon on the desktop
labelled AStudio
launching /usr/sbin/astudio
/usr/sbin/astudio wrote:#!/bin/sh

#150815 setup emulator...
#appinventor.sh also calls this.
if [ ! -d /root/.android/avd/aiavd.avd ];then
#do this in another script...
/usr/local/android_build/ai-emulator-setup AStudio
fi

/opt/android/android-studio/bin/studio.sh

#if used the emulator, it is still running afterward...
sleep 2
kill 99999999 `pidof emulator emulator64-arm emulator64-mips emulator64-x86 emulator-arm emulator-mips emulator-x86` 2>/dev/null
#150816 emulator does not work properly if start ai2 2nd time, have to kill these...
killall aiStarter
killall java