CD-R, -RW usage (mount, sessions, etc.) with Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
JustGreg

CD-R, -RW usage (mount, sessions, etc.) with Puppy

#1 Post by JustGreg »

I use CDRW media for storing files and transfering them. I have mounted a CDRW disk done on Windows using MUT. I copied the files and unmounted the CDRW disk using MUT. Placing the CDRW disk back into a Windows machine, I found the CDRW disk was now read only. What is the correct way to mount a CDRW media disk that has already been formated? I have tried the mount command and -t iso9660 option. It results in the CDRW being turn into a CDR. Is there a way to format the CDRW media disk to be a CDRW disk (multiple writes) using Puppy? Thanks in advance for any help and yes I did use search function.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

I think you are a little bit confused. Nothing that happened to your CD was puppy's fault.

You are talking about two different and distinct concepts as if they were one. I was also confused in my early days of working with these formats.

CD-R vs. CD-RW
A CD- R allows you to write to a particular track of the CD only once. In a CD-R the data is static, you cannot delete it and reuse the CD.

A CD-RW is the same as a CD-R except that you can blank the CD again and start over.

Closed session vs. Multisession
When you write to the CD (either R or RW) you can select to make it multisession so you can add more files to it

If you close the sessions on a CD (either R or RW) it won't allow you to add more files to it.

This means the following:

You can have a multisession CD (either R or RW) to which you can add files until there is no more space in it.

You can have a closed session CD (either R or RW) to which you cannot add more sessions. The only difference is that with an CD-RW you can completelly blank the CD and start over again.

My guess is that you burned the CD in the windows computer closing the session.

Next time select to leave the sessions open (create a multisession CD) on the burning program options.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

JustGreg

#3 Post by JustGreg »

Thank you, Rasa for the information. I did some more searching on the net for information on CDRW media. I also found that using the mount command with -t udf option did allow a previous CDRW to be read without closing the session. I will do some more searching on how to use Linux tools for CD recording. Thank you once again for the information on the difference between the two types of CD media.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much