Printer won't work without password in Tahrpup 6

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
NETTKNUT

Printer won't work without password in Tahrpup 6

#1 Post by NETTKNUT »

I am running a 3GHz ESPRIMO with tahrpup 6. I few days ago I found that my printer (an HP psc 1200) refuses to print. I tried to print a test page from CUPS and got the error message "A user name and password are being requested by http//local host 603" I have looked at a few possible causes in CUPS but cannot find any. I am at a loss to know what to do next. Can someone help me please? Thanks.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, NETTKNUT.

Just for the hell of it (and this is simply 'off the top of my head'), try root for the username, and woof-woof for the password.

These are the bog-standard default ones that are used by Puppy for many things. Can't hurt to try.....

Granted, you shouldn't be getting asked for these at all.....but I came across this same problem in SliTaz; you have to enter the username and password every time you want to print anything.....even a test page!

SliTaz has some unique 'oddities'.....that's for sure. Unfortunately, I don't know the first thing about Esprimos...but I doubt that's got owt to do with it. All Linux distros use CUPS.

Regards,

Mike. :wink:

NETTKNUT

printer

#3 Post by NETTKNUT »

Thanks for your reply. I tried your words in u/c and l/c but the printer wasn't having it! Perhaps someone else has some other idea. Thanks.

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

'Localhost 603?' Surely, you mean 'localhost:631'.....don't you?

Linux is even more picky than Windows about having everything just so; I've come to grief many times through simply having a letter wrong, or the wrong case, or a space in the wrong place.....or a wrong punctuation mark (or one where there shouldn't be one)... Get my drift?

It's partly because it's all script-based (to make it easier for the average human to work with).

I actually had this exact same problem myself, once. I ended up re-installing Tahrpup, which cured it. A possibility is that it wants your hostname (the computer's 'tag', which is set at first boot-up). I think many people just accept the mixture of letters and numbers that Puppy generates for you.....'cos its easier. Me, I like to set a unique 'hostname' that I can remember without too much trouble. It's rare that you actually need it, however.

It's quite simple to find. Go into the file-system (in Rox, open 'er up, then click on the upward pointing arrow at the left end of the title bar). Then, click on 'etc', then scroll down until you find a file called 'hostname'. Click on this. It'll open up with Geany, the text editor...and should contain your hostname. If you want to change it to summat easier to remember, just modify it to whatever you want.....and remember to click on 'Save' up the top before you close Geany. You'll be prompted anyway, if you forget.

But I'm still at a loss as to why this occasionally happens. Seems it's usually something to do with CUPS, for whatever reason, not recognising your 'puter...

Regards,

Mike.

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

Have you done this:

Click on Quickpet icon on desktop.
Quickpet->Info->Tahrpup bug fixes or tahrpup updates

After all the bug fixes are installed, good idea to reboot so they all get saved.

Now start the Puppy Package Manager(PPM)
Should be offered the 6.0.2 and 6.0.3 service packs.
Install them.
Reboot.

Should now be totally updated to the date you did this.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

@bigpup:-

I concur. It seems there's an awful lot of people using Tahrpup who don't appear to be aware of the Tahrpup 'updates'.....or indeed the fact that there are service packs to be installed.

Could be because these same folks nowadays don't use the PPM so much (which is where you get the notifications for the service packs); instead, they install pretty well everything via .pets and .sfs's. Perhaps I'm old fashioned; but I find certain stuff in there that just isn't available through any other medium.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

NETTKNUT

printer

#7 Post by NETTKNUT »

Thanks for all the info.I have installed all the updates but that did not cure the problem. At present my printer just hangs when I try to print an e-mail or any thing else. However it work OK if I print a test page from the printer console itself but if I go to CUPS and select 'maintenance' 'print test page' I get the error message I reported previously. It looks as if I'll have to take Mike Walsh's advice and reinstall tahrpup.