Loading Puppy to Tablet Anyone?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
GarySmith

Loading Puppy to Tablet Anyone?

#1 Post by GarySmith »

There are strong indications that tablets are replacing PCs with overall sales driving (or diving) downward for five years or longer in a trend. This is no overstatement.

I discovered yesterday that even my aged mother-in-law purchased a tablet not long ago with Windows8.1 preloaded, I can see where using a USB drive would make it possible to load Precise Puppy on to that device but how about those with Android and has anyone tried loading to a tablet?

Gary
______

GarySmith

#2 Post by GarySmith »

Did my first search feature in the forum and found other topics on the word "Android".

Thanks for any replies.

Gary
______

GarySmith

Re: Loading Puppy to Tablet Anyone?

#3 Post by GarySmith »

GarySmith wrote:There are strong indications that tablets are replacing PCs with overall sales driving (or diving) downward for five years or longer in a trend. This is no overstatement. I discovered yesterday that even my aged mother-in-law purchased a tablet not long ago with Windows8.1 preloaded, I can see where using a USB drive would make it possible to load Precise Puppy on to that device but how about those with Android and has anyone tried loading to a tablet? Gary ______
I see prospects don't look outstanding on this one.

nancy reagan
Posted: Yesterday, at 15:06 Post subject: Debian on Android
As this app requires 900mb I could not try it myself but seems that you can run Debian on your Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... AndroidPIT

darry1966

#4 Post by darry1966 »

Hi Gary'

I think Laptops will be around for awhile yet and I just run it with Android on it. To be honest though I prefer and use my Laptops more often. The Tablet is handy though when we are overseas - less weight,

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6a5b675a66

GarySmith

#5 Post by GarySmith »

darry1966 wrote:Hi Gary' I think Laptops will be around for awhile yet and I just run it with Android on it. To be honest though I prefer and use my Laptops more often. The Tablet is handy though when we are overseas - less weight, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6a5b675a66
Danger, that's good information but see it's dated to 2011. My mother-in-law bought a tablet recently with Windows8.1 loaded(?). How about that one?

Gary
______

darry1966

#6 Post by darry1966 »

Yes what 8.1 was designed for.

rokytnji

#7 Post by rokytnji »

Windows 8.1 info does not matter.

CPU info, whether arm or intel. That matters.
Bios and outside ports. They matter.

One must be able to boot a outside drive with puppy on it and the cpu, bios, and mobo must say, "Howdy, aren't you a pretty thing" instead of slamming
the door shut and acting like puppy is not at the door.

Then the folks inside need interact friendly like with the puppy when it comes in. Touchscreen, wireless, etc........

It does not help to let the puppy in and then act like it is not there when it
paws at you asking for love.

Spoken by a Chromebook owner who knows the problems involved
getting a locked down item to open it doors and then recognise
something outside of it's biased makeup.

Deacon

#8 Post by Deacon »

No expert, but Linux for ARM is still very much in its infancy. I'd be moderately confident with an Intel tablet but remember you'll be dealing with a touchscreen interface so you want to be sure that the version you are using will still be be fairly easy to communicate with largely via menu.

Searching in Google videos produces at least some results of actual Pups getting loaded, but the key is that the architecture is the thing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=puppy+linux+tablet

So you want to reduce in advance any chance of getting bricked, because unlike a distro that doesn't work being easily replaced, you mess up the tablet, it's done.

A suggestion is this: follow what these folks look for in terms of compatibility in the vids. Take down all the architecture info you can find on eBay for the one you want and post *that* before you buy. Usually someone might have found a hardware conflict in advance.

Another note-- be frugal with what you want to run on it. These tablets can get SLOOOOOWWWWWW really fast