Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 03 Sep 2015, 07:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Can I keep my save file on my hard drive?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
harrisnyc

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug 2015, 18:24    Post subject:  Can I keep my save file on my hard drive?
Subject description: Don't want to disturb my installed Ubuntu for now

Hi all,

Puppy seems great for me so far, and I want to explore it further before I install it on my hard drive. As I currently only have a very tiny USB stick (500MB, I know, I know) my question is whether I can keep my save file somewhere on my huge hard drive without disturbing the installed OS, which is Ubuntu 14.04LTS. Basically, I bought this Dell Inspiron very recently with Ubuntu already installed, and as I've had some serious problems with it, I'd prefer to run Puppy if all checks out well.

Here are my specs:

Dell Inspiron 15 (Inspiron 15 3000 Series (Intel(R)) - 3551)
4GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (4GBx1)
500GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
Ubuntu Linux 14.04 SP1

Currently I'm running Tahrpup 6.0 CE and I like it very much, so I'll probably stay with it. The ironic thing, though, is that the reason I'm moving away from Ubuntu is that I can't run either of the two latest kernels without experiencing a "kernel panic" and subsequent never-ending scrolling error messages. What's ironic is that when I was experimenting with Precise Puppy last night (version 5.7.1) I actually got this same type of kernel panic upon one of the reboots. Very curious, and it's the reason why I'm trying out Tahrpup -- no kernel panics so far after about a dozen reboots.

Thanks in advance!
Harris
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug 2015, 18:45    Post subject: Re: Can I keep my save file on my hard drive?
Subject description: Don't want to disturb my installed Ubuntu for now

harrisnyc (in part) wrote:

Puppy seems great for me so far, and I want to explore it further before I install it on my hard drive. As I currently only have a very tiny USB stick (500MB, I know, I know) my question is whether I can keep my save file somewhere on my huge hard drive without disturbing the installed OS, which is Ubuntu 14.04LTS.

I think I read somewhere recently that it's tricky to have the save file on a different drive.
I have unicorn, a stripped-down Tahr, on the primary hard drive.

How about this? Make a directory, eg "Tahr", on your hard drive, maybe on a Linux-format one such as ext2, ext3, or ext4.
Copy the Tahr files into that directory.
Mine (OK, they're unicorn files) are:
Code:

~> ls -l /mnt/home/unicorn/
total 137192
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   1304848 2014-12-22 10:36 initrd.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 103751712 2014-12-22 10:43 puppy_unicorn_6.0.sfs
drwxr-xr-x 12 root root      4096 2015-07-29 08:02 unicornsave-jul13
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   4677568 2014-12-22 10:36 vmlinuz
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  30740480 2014-10-09 12:02 zdrv_unicorn_6.0.sfs
~>

Boot tahr, presumably from the USB stick.
Run grub4dos, and choose to search the hard drive.

Should work.

A caution: get advice from others!! I don't know Ubuntu at all, and of course you don't want to disturb the installed OS.

No doubt you can arrange to choose at boot time.

Last edited by sheldonisaac on Sun 02 Aug 2015, 19:46; edited 1 time in total
Wognath

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug 2015, 19:32    Post subject:  

Quote:

Yes! The save file is just another (large) file; it won't interfere with Ubuntu. Tahr allows save folder as well. As you may know, a save file is of fixed size and may fill up and need to be enlarged periodically, but a save folder can expand as long as space is available on the drive.
Edit: I assume you will continue to boot from the flash drive. When you get tired of that, then you can copy onto the HD the Tahr equivalents of the files listed by sheldonisaac. As an alternative to running grub4dos, you should be able to just edit the Ubuntu menu.lst file.

Edit 8/3: Embarassed thanks to rcrsn51 for correcting this bad advice

Last edited by Wognath on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 13:07; edited 1 time in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug 2015, 22:08    Post subject:  

Wognath wrote:
Quote:

Yes! The save file is just another (large) file; it won't interfere with Ubuntu. Tahr allows save folder as well. As you may know, a save file is of fixed size and may fill up and need to be enlarged periodically, but a save folder can expand as long as space is available on the drive.

That has not been my experience. On the next reboot, Ubuntu detected that there had been some change in its filesystem and triggered a disk check.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 03 Aug 2015, 15:40    Post subject:  

As far as I understand it (and I'm by no means an expert on this kind of thing), you ought to be able to put an entire frugal install onto your Ubuntu machine.....so long as you situate it outside of the Ubuntu file system, i.e., at /mnt/home. (Or the equivalent; I forget now, exactly, what that is in Ubuntu). A 'frugal' Puppy should co-exist quite happily with another Linux system.

Of course, I'm probably completely wrong about that. Canonical, in recent months, seem to be going down the Windoze route; endless updates, which as often as not, seem to end up breaking things that previously worked fine. And integrating systemd ever more tightly into the mix isn't helping matters. The constant updates ended up breaking my 'Trusty' install's graphics.....which is why I ended up going all-Puppy, about four months ago.

Best move I ever made!

Regards,

Mike. Wink

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: